587,997 active members*
2,892 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Router Mount

Page 1 of 2 12

Router Mount

I seem to recall seeing a really nice aluminum router mount for a porter cable 7518 that someone had made, ( I think it was the first job they did on their machine), If someone recalls this post can you please direct me to it. Thanks, John.

Look at this post. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171

find post numbers 47 and 48 on page 6
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thats the one Jeff, thanks , John

John, Were you able to do something with the code I sent you?
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Jeff, I have a .375 collet on order for my router since all I have is .250 & .500. My router is now temporarily mounted with mounts I made out of oak so I can use it to make the aluminum ones. I did run your file with a v groove bit in wood just to see how it worked and it came out perfect. I'll let you know when I use it on the aluminum. Thanks again, John.

Jeff, here are some pics of my machine making the mounts with your g code. This is the first actual run done on the machine. Notice the "high tech" temporary oak mounts. I was surprised they held up as well as they did on the aluminum. Thanks again for the code. John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP0656.JPG   IMGP0658.JPG   IMGP0659.JPG   IMGP0661.JPG  

IMGP0665.JPG   IMGP0666.JPG  

Hey John! That did work out great! I have already received an email from someone else, who read this post, wanting the code for them as well. I think when I find it I will post it here for all others who need it.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)

Quote Originally Posted by HomeCNC
    I have already received an email from someone else, who read this post, wanting the code for them as well. I think when I find it I will post it here for all others who need it.
    If you could post the code Jeff, that would be great as they look just what I need

Steve

Just wanted to say looking great guys.

Also noticed dry cutting alumn. what bit and stepdown did you use?

Thanks, Joe

Without knowing the capability of his setup I chose a 3/8" end mill and had a step down of .050. I forgot to get the code over the weekend. If I forget again maybe Wired can post what I sent him. I will also try to remember when I get home tonight.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)

Router mounts

If you are able to locae the code for these mounts, I would be interested in having a go at them myself.. right now, I have a very shaky mount system, and would love to have one that actually looks good.. HAhahaha

btw.. thanks for offering them up!

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by HomeCNC
    Without knowing the capability of his setup I chose a 3/8" end mill and had a step down of .050. I forgot to get the code over the weekend. If I forget again maybe Wired can post what I sent him. I will also try to remember when I get home tonight.

Here are the g-codes for the 7518 router mounts
    Attached Files Attached Files

THANK YOU! I appreciate it.. Now I just need to pick up some quality wood to make them from... then when I get some decent end mills and a variable speed control, maybe I will consider attempting aluminum...

Eddie

Some more info about setup for the router mounts.

The G-code is built to use a 3/8” end mill. The 0,0,0 is the lower left corner and at the top of the ½” material. I would use two bolts in the center area of the part to hold down the plate while you run the G-code for cutting the outside profile. Then clamp the part from the outside and run the G-code for cutting the inside hole out. The plate stock is 6.0 in X and 5.35 in Y and .50 in Z.
    This mount is for the Porter Cable #7518 3-1/4 HP rounter.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...tachmentid=193
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...tachmentid=196
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails router holder.jpg  
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)

Well, of course, I had to leap ahead and not think things through.. as usual.. Just realized that this was designed for a full-size router, and since I am using a laminate router, my body is much smaller in diameter.. oh well.. I am going to buy a new item anyways.. it is a rotozip from walmart for $39.96.. it has a 1/4" & a 1/8" collet.

It has a built in, non-removable handle wich may be a problem for mounting, but for the interchangable collet, I am willing to work with that.. anybody used one of these as a cutting source yet, and maybe made a mount for it? *GRIN* .. if not, I guess I will have to learn a CAD program, and design my own....

Will make a good excuse to learn CAD after all, I guess.

Eddie

FOLLOWUP.. it is not an actual ROTOZIP brand.. trying to remember the name.. thinking it is a Black & Decker, but not sure.. will post when I recall the brand name...

Its black and deckers version of the rotozip, but i would stick with rotozip, the one i use on my cnc has a variable speed settings, 15,000, 20,000, 25,000 and 30,000 rpm. and also has a cool light that shines on the work piece.

Joe

B&D v.s. Rotozip

Would I be able to use a variable speed control for a router with this to adjust the speed?

This one is $39.96 (plus my 10% discount) and a brand name Rotozip costs a minimum of $89.96.

I have also noticed that ALL the Rotozip brands I have found now have a hand tightened drill press style 3-chuck bit holder, as opposed to a replacable collett with a wrench tightening system, like this one. I thought i had seen people say that the 3-jaw chuck were not a good idea when applying sideways forces as is being done in Milling.
    I just have to wonder, though, since Rotozips are specifically made for sideways forces to be applied.. anyone able to give an opinion on this?

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che
    Its black and deckers version of the rotozip, but i would stick with rotozip, the one i use on my cnc has a variable speed settings, 15,000, 20,000, 25,000 and 30,000 rpm. and also has a cool light that shines on the work piece.

Joe

Error running the g code for the router mount

I tried doing a dry run in turbocnc for the router mount code, but it says that it does not recognize some of the code. Is this meant to be run in say Mach 2 or other software? Does anyone have the code for this mount that is compatable with TurboCNC?

Thanks
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

Page 1 of 2 12