587,250 active members*
3,408 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Router wont cut past the edge of a sheet ( or past 0)

Router wont cut past the edge of a sheet ( or past 0)

I'm having a problem where I'm cutting some parts out of a sheet of aluminum, the center of the bit gets to about the the edge of the sheet, then it will lift up move to a new spot and start cutting again. Its like it wont move past 0 on the x and y coordinates while running the g-code. I thought it was something I did wrong in Aspire, but the preview shows the bit cutting all the way around my parts. I never had the problem before it just started happing, so I'm wondering is there a setting in Mach 3 that will cause this? I would think maybe soft limits but I dont have them on, and that should only happen for machine coordinates and not part coordinates?

Re: Router wont cut past the edge of a sheet ( or past 0)

Did you post the gcode with the correct bit size specified. Example you wanted to use 1/4” and actually has 1/2” selected which could cause an issue like this

It sounds like you've defined a machining area that doesn't include sufficient space to get all around your parts.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    It sounds like you've defined a machining area that doesn't include sufficient space to get all around your parts.
    Seems like it but is this something to do with mach3 or Aspire? I have a number of parts that are nested onto a sheet, lets say 72" x 144" for instance, so in Aspire the job size is 72 x 144. but my router can actually fit a larger sheet. I "fixed" the problem on one side by putting a 0.5 inch offset in the start position, but then it didn't fully cut the the parts on the opposite side when it got to the edge of the sheet. I'll add 1" to the job size in aspire and that should fix the problem. Its weird because I never had to do this before, and Im still unsure if this is an Aspire or Mach3 issue.

ok So I looked at some of my old stuff I had cut and it looks like I had always left 0.5" on the edge of the sheet when I nested the parts, and this time on some of the new parts I only left 0.1" to the edge (cutting with a 3/8) bit. I think if I leave half the diameter I should be ok (3/16). Not wanting to re-nest these parts I'll just add the offset and increase the job size an inch