588,210 active members*
4,659 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Running an ATC

Has anyone figured out, or can mach3, run an ATC? I'm going to convert a Fadal VMC 4020 to mach3 but want to be able to run the ATC.

You'll have to have hardware with enough inputs and outputs, and you'll have to write the macro to do it, but it *should* be able to. You might want to talk to Brian at www.newfangledsolutions.com. He is a member here and may reply to this post, though.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw765
    Has anyone figured out, or can mach3, run an ATC? I'm going to convert a Fadal VMC 4020 to mach3 but want to be able to run the ATC.

You can run a toolchanger But you are going to have to use a PCL to get all of the IO that you need. The system can be set up two ways:
    1 have the toolchanger run only by the PLC. In this one the PLC would just get a signal from Mach3 saying CHANGE that Tool!

2 Mach 3 would run the PLC and the PLC would not have any idea what it is doing....

I would do the first one as it would take some load off the PC and would make it so the PC can do other thing at the same time to toolchanger is getting set up. This is a big deal on a double arm style toolchanger! But I think the old Fadals were not double arm...

So Yes you can and no it is not simple...

I will help you all I can
    thank you
    Brian

great

thxs for the reply,i just got my new ac servos and amps that take step and dir,for the convershion to mach3 the tool changer is not a double arm, the head goes up the changer side shifts in and drops the tool head picks back up atc rotates to new tool head drops down and grabs new tool,head picks back up atc shifts back/away from head,so the z axis will need to be operated for it to work,im not fimlure with the plc controle you are refering to where can i find out about it?? thxs

Chris, what servo amps did you get?
    a plc is a logic controller, basicly manages inputs and outputs.

Sounds like an interesting task, what was wrong with the machine that you decided to convert it to mach3 setup?

Jon

cost

well im just a hobbest at this point i built 3 cnc mills and roughter liked it so much i bought a fadal 4020 but the problem is the controlles are from 1990 the memory is very low i could drip feed it but it still cant handle the bid 3d stuff
    so i bought sanyo denki p5 1000w ac servos and drives to replace the old dc servos/resolvers,and will use mach 3 because ive used it on all 3 of my other cnc project and it worked great,but if i cant get the atc to work with it ill use centrioed or ajax controls,i know your asking y not just update the fadal controls well to the tune of 8k i can,thats about what i payed for the whole mill so mach 3 it is,even if i cant get the atc to work i can still do a manual tool change so no biggy but i would be cool

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw765
    thxs for the reply,i just got my new ac servos and amps that take step and dir,for the convershion to mach3 the tool changer is not a double arm, the head goes up the changer side shifts in and drops the tool head picks back up atc rotates to new tool head drops down and grabs new tool,head picks back up atc shifts back/away from head,so the z axis will need to be operated for it to work,im not fimlure with the plc controle you are refering to where can i find out about it?? thxs
    Please go check out some of the PLC stuff at www.newfangledsolutions.com in the forum. This should give you a little into what the PLC is and how they are programed. I can set up a PLC for a tool change BUT I would think it will be quite a task for a first time project!.. But the type of tool changer you have is VERY simple and I could do that one in a day

Good to hear that you are having a good time!
    Brian