587,228 active members*
6,547 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rust Removal from CNC bed

Hi all

I am hoping someone can help me out, we have a Deckel Maho 635V (2007) CNC which gets used infrequently for the odd prototyping job at the moment. It hasn't had much use in the last 12months and as a result the machine bed has developed a small amount of surface rust in places.

I am keen to remove the rust, but not sure which is the best way to do so? I am assuming that using a steel wool pad or pot scrub will remove bed material also?

Does anyone have any advice for this situation?

Thanks

P.s since noticing the rust we have increased our coolant concentrations to help combat/prevent this.

Hi,

I constantly fight the rust problem on my machines. Start with the equivalence of Dupont #7 rubbing compound. If that does not get you where you want to be then step up to the fine grit scotch bright pad and use it lightly with oil.

Good Luck

One way that works fairly well is to use some scotchbrite (either red or green) in combination with some WD40. This will remove most of the rust. You cant rub hard enough by hand with scotchbrite to hurt the machine, although scotchbrite (except the white variety, does contain a small amount of aluminum oxide as an abrasive). If you dont use the machine for long periods of time, then once you are finished with the project, then blow down the machine to remove the bulk of the water and coolant and spray all exposed bare metal surfaces with a generous coating of WD40 and then let it dry. When you start the machine again, give it another coating of WD40 first. The WD40 will eventually mix with the coolant. WD40 is composed mostly of fish oil, it is environmentally good, there are no toxins in it, and it actually is NOT harmful to humans. some people think that WD40 is full of water - it isnt. WD40 means that it was the 40th formula they came up with....

Pete

The WD in WD40 is short for "Water Displacement" and as above 40th attempt.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

According to the people who make WD40 it is mostly highly refined mineral spirits and contains no fish oil.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Use Evaporust. Evapo-Rust Rust Remover Home Check out their product information. Excellent stuff and it won't require excess metal removal or scrubbing. Light rust will be gone in a few hours tops. Any residue remaining aids in rust prevention. The armed forces love it! They drop entire vehicles in swimming pools of this stuff.

There are other similar products sold. Some in dry form, just add water.

Folks need to get over using WD40, it's practically useless. Mostly mineral spirits and it can promote rust if you use the aerosol instead of the bulk. If you need moderate term storage use Boeshield since it leaves a parafin coating. Otherwise good motor oil. I mix in some Marvel's Mystery oil (a light parafin). Keeps my things rust free even in a humid and outdoor environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Stenabaugh View Post
    One way that works fairly well is to use some scotchbrite (either red or green) in combination with some WD40. This will remove most of the rust. You cant rub hard enough by hand with scotchbrite to hurt the machine, although scotchbrite (except the white variety, does contain a small amount of aluminum oxide as an abrasive). If you dont use the machine for long periods of time, then once you are finished with the project, then blow down the machine to remove the bulk of the water and coolant and spray all exposed bare metal surfaces with a generous coating of WD40 and then let it dry. When you start the machine again, give it another coating of WD40 first. The WD40 will eventually mix with the coolant. WD40 is composed mostly of fish oil, it is environmentally good, there are no toxins in it, and it actually is NOT harmful to humans. some people think that WD40 is full of water - it isnt. WD40 means that it was the 40th formula they came up with....

Pete
    WD40 is absolutely the worst rust preventative. If you're in an area where the humidity is high then the WD40 will collect the moisture and rust the crap out of your machine. I learned the hard way, but don't take my word, go online and do some research on the subject. Google WD40 rust preventative

After spending several hours polishing my machines I did some research and found that LPS is supposed to be the best for protecting machines that set idle for long periods of time. I went Graingers and purchased some LPS ($$$$) and went back to the shop and coated all of my machines. That was late in the summer so I went into winter feeling secure that my machines were protected. I go south for the winter so my machinery sets unattended to. Came back home in the spring and found my machines had no rust, but all of the bright iron was stained by the LPS. Once again I went through the time consumming process of polishing the machines and when finished I decided to try using NOTHING for rust prevention and believe it or not NOTHING worked better than WD40 or LPS.

Keep the iron bright.

Quote Originally Posted by RFB View Post
    ...Once again I went through the time consumming process of polishing the machines and when finished I decided to try using NOTHING for rust prevention and believe it or not NOTHING worked better than WD40 or LPS.

Keep the iron bright.
    So you are saying doing nothing to prevent moisture/rust build up is the best thing? c'mon man.

If you can find a product called "Gibbs" it'll both lubricate and proctect from rust. Look it up on the web for a source.

Rust prevention

Have had similar issues - use steel wool with engine oil added to minimise rust then wipe with methylated spirits when finished and use gun wax to seal metal surface - Gun Polish 100gm - Maintenance - Wax - All Natural Carnauba and Beeswax Waxes and Polishes - Gilly Stephenson`s Waxes and Polishes - has worked well for some years.