587,308 active members*
3,594 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Saving stock as STL

Question Saving stock as STL

Hi

I noticed that there is an option to save the part as an STL after simulating machining.
    Only reason for this i could think of was to use this STL as the new stock in later sequences. So i played around with it a bit and noticed that i couldn't use it as a stock at all?

So basically my question is: What do you use it for?

-Mikael

you can use it as stock.
    pick the stock option and select digitize then pick the stl.

i use this all the time to go from op to op with realistic stock for verify.

you can also use it as stock in roughing cycles to cut out alot of air cuts.

i make a new layer and insert stl into file.
    then copy it to a seperate layer and use 1 for verify stock and the other for rough cycle stock.

this is a great feature, play with it and you'll end up using it alot.

Hi

Thx for the help :cheers: ,

i tried it a bit but ran into a problem after making the stl into a stock. I am unable to choose the stock wireframe when choosing "digitise stock" under the roughing operation.

Any ideas?

Also what do you mean when you say:
    "i use this all the time to go from op to op with realistic stock for verify"

Is it just ocular verification, or is there some cool feature i've missed in the program ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stockproblem.JPG  

Ok i figured it out

For future reference:
    I had to choose "Stock Type" to 3d model under the roughing sequence.

You can simulate a sequence or part of a sequence, save the stl as stock and re-import it so your stock is updated, or is used as the stock for the next sequence. Especially usefull for multiaxis parts when you don't want to machine stock that isn't really there because it was removed before an index.
    An easier option than doing this though, is to use the update stock menu option, and the stock becomes live in a sequence

Ok, i haven't got it totaly mastered yet here.

To begin with, do you use an prepared STL as a stock from the begining or do you do the "Automatic stock" and get the wireframe, then save the STL from the simulator and update the stock afterwards?

Also about the "Update stock"
    When doing a turning profile i have no problem making the stock update itself through the M-functions rolldown.

But when milling, the option for "update stock" is always greyed out
    (running Edgecam 2009r2). Are there any prerequisites that i need to keep in mind when working with dynamic stock?

Attached a picture of the millproblem I have, hope the questions are understandable
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stockproblem2.jpg  

I have a hunch that the dynamic stock problem is related to the machine I select when entering manufacture mode.
    I have only gotten it to work on machines that have full machine simulation with table, mill head, guards etc.

The posts that i inherited dont have all that good stuff :/. But i will figure out how to fix that to eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEL12 View Post
    Hi

Thx for the help :cheers: ,

i tried it a bit but ran into a problem after making the stl into a stock. I am unable to choose the stock wireframe when choosing "digitise stock" under the roughing operation.

Any ideas?
    i think you figured out the3-d model stock option already.
    i make 2 layers and copy the stl to both before i start using them, 1 for rough cycle 1 for stock in verify

Also what do you mean when you say:
    "i use this all the time to go from op to op with realistic stock for verify"

at the end of an operation i save the stl out of verify and start the next op with it as my stock

Is it just ocular verification, or is there some cool feature i've missed in the program ?
    other then the stock option for the roughing cycle to eliminate wasted cuts where stock isn't, it's mostly visual that ive found so far.

Ok, i haven't got it totaly mastered yet here.

To begin with, do you use an prepared STL as a stock from the begining or do you do the "Automatic stock" and get the wireframe, then save the STL from the simulator and update the stock afterwards?

Also about the "Update stock"
    When doing a turning profile i have no problem making the stock update itself through the M-functions rolldown.

But when milling, the option for "update stock" is always greyed out
    (running Edgecam 2009r2). Are there any prerequisites that i need to keep in mind when working with dynamic stock?

Attached a picture of the millproblem I have, hope the questions are understandable

i don't think the update stock works for milling like it does for turning.

The dynamic stock option can only be used if you have an adaptive post template.

What that means for users that have older posts is that they need to recreate their post using one of the current adaptive post templates, such as 'Adaptive-Mill-Iso' or 'Adaptive-Mill-TNC', it will say 'Adaptive' in the description column.

Please note that a new post template may fix any issues that your older posts had, such as any ;CODE: enhancements, so be aware of this when testing and verifying your new post.

Your post can also be updated by a qualified person, such as myself, for a fee. If interested please feel free to contact me.

Regards,
    Jeremiah Stikeleather

I have a hunch that the dynamic stock problem is related to the machine I select when entering manufacture mode.
    I have only gotten it to work on machines that have full machine simulation with table, mill head, guards etc.

The posts that i inherited dont have all that good stuff :/. But i will figure out how to fix that to eventually.
    i have used this on generators of both types, old and new.
    not sure what would stop it from working, i have updated all of my generators to the newer adaptive ones but i used this feature for years over several different releases.
    keep playing, that's how i figured out how to use 80 percent of this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by jstikeleather View Post
    The dynamic stock option can only be used if you have an adaptive post template.

What that means for users that have older posts is that they need to recreate their post using one of the current adaptive post templates, such as 'Adaptive-Mill-Iso' or 'Adaptive-Mill-TNC', it will say 'Adaptive' in the description column.

Please note that a new post template may fix any issues that your older posts had, such as any ;CODE: enhancements, so be aware of this when testing and verifying your new post.

Your post can also be updated by a qualified person, such as myself, for a fee. If interested please feel free to contact me.

Regards,
    Jeremiah Stikeleather

Yes that seems to be the problem, you need adaptive posts for it to work. Made a bunch of sequences yesterday and tried to use the update stock function, and it only worked with the adaptive ones.
    Funny thing that it's not covered in the documentation, maybe i missed it when reading.

:cheers:
    Thanks for confirmation, and i'll keep you in mind when i convert our posts to adaptive. If i can I would rather do it myself though

Quote Originally Posted by timf View Post
    i have used this on generators of both types, old and new.
    not sure what would stop it from working, i have updated all of my generators to the newer adaptive ones but i used this feature for years over several different releases.
    keep playing, that's how i figured out how to use 80 percent of this stuff

As i've understod it the procedure that you recomended where you manually generate and update stock along the way works everywhere.
    It's only the automatic/dynamically updating stock that needs the adaptive posts to work.

Yes it seems like thats the way to learn the program, just keep on going on .

Thanks for the help :cheers: