588,444 active members*
5,351 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 5 2345

Re: Seeking Milling Advice

Funny you should be working with engraving using Sprutcam. Here is the latest from Sprutcam america on that very subject.

Dave

Engraving – SprutCAM 9 | SprutCAM America Blog

MetalShavings

The problem arose when I loaded this lettering G-Code into the Mach3 software. When I clicked on the "Start" Icon it wouldn't run. I kept getting a message telling me that there was a "Nested Message" in line 1. What the heck is a "Nested Message?" The G-Code itself didn't look any different or out of the ordinary than any other G-Code I've generated in SprutCam. I punched "Nested Message" into the SprutCAM help menu but it read, "No topics found." Even the software had no idea what "Nested Message" was.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a problem like this one a few years ago, I imported the engraving file into Sprutcam as an .igs file, I used the 2D contour op, selected an engraver tool, simulated the engraving op and all was fine, loaded the g code into Mach and got a similar error!

The problem was in the description of the engraver tool I selected. I changed the description of that engraving tool in Sprutcam's tool table, removing the parenthesis in the description and all was fine.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by phoneman View Post
    Funny you should be working with engraving using Sprutcam. Here is the latest from Sprutcam america on that very subject.

Dave

Engraving – SprutCAM 9 | SprutCAM America Blog

Thanks for link!
    Although I mastered these functions a while ago its always nice to read and pick up new hints and tricks. I find this exact format to convey information many times better then watching a video.
    Easy for someone to read, look at clips and duplicate the exact set of procedures without going back and forth in videos. I do like video programs but find getting information from them tedious compared to a quick glance this format provides.

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    MetalShavings

The problem arose when I loaded this lettering G-Code into the Mach3 software. When I clicked on the "Start" Icon it wouldn't run. I kept getting a message telling me that there was a "Nested Message" in line 1. What the heck is a "Nested Message?" The G-Code itself didn't look any different or out of the ordinary than any other G-Code I've generated in SprutCam. I punched "Nested Message" into the SprutCAM help menu but it read, "No topics found." Even the software had no idea what "Nested Message" was.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a problem like this one a few years ago, I imported the engraving file into Sprutcam as an .igs file, I used the 2D contour op, selected an engraver tool, simulated the engraving op and all was fine, loaded the g code into Mach and got a similar error!

The problem was in the description of the engraver tool I selected. I changed the description of that engraving tool in Sprutcam's tool table, removing the parenthesis in the description and all was fine.

I did notice that there were a crap-load of parenthesis' in that first line of code. I'll give that a try. At this point it shouldn't hurt anything since the code isn't working as it is written.

I thought the problem might be caused by the fact that I engraved my Soft-Jaw blocks in SolidWorks and then took it into SprutCAM to make the tool paths that would cut the letters.

Last night I drew up a rectangular 3D model the same shape as my Soft-Jaw blocks so I could try using the SprutCAM lettering feature. When I ran the letters to get my tool paths, I got some really screwy results. Some of the letters were left out and others were mis-shapen.

MetalShavings

Quote Originally Posted by MetalShavings View Post
    I did notice that there were a crap-load of parenthesis' in that first line of code. I'll give that a try. At this point it shouldn't hurt anything since the code isn't working as it is written.

I thought the problem might be caused by the fact that I engraved my Soft-Jaw blocks in SolidWorks and then took it into SprutCAM to make the tool paths that would cut the letters.

Last night I drew up a rectangular 3D model the same shape as my Soft-Jaw blocks so I could try using the SprutCAM lettering feature. When I ran the letters to get my tool paths, I got some really screwy results. Some of the letters were left out and others were mis-shapen.

MetalShavings
    I use Sprut 7.
    My text is always drawn in Cad.
    Text file is imported into Sprutcam as an .igs file.
    I then select all the curves in a 2D contour operation, select the tool feeds speeds doc etc
    Then run the file and get the green checks, sometimes I dont get green checks until after the part simulates, Sprut quirk maybe.
    I havent played with the engraving operation in Sprut, I always use the 2D contour op.

When I select the engraving cutter it will run the cutter down the centerline of the curves, selecting an endmill will put it offset mode, this can be changed from the inside to the outside of the curve.

Usint the text mode was rather "clunky" in sprut 7 so I always used the text Function in Rhino 4, as I had more control over it.
    mike sr

I Now Consider This Project A Success

I ran that first batch of small parts that I've been struggling with. I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of how they turned out. With a couple more tweaks I think I'll have a winner on my hands.

They're not the fanciest looking Soft-Jaws in the world but, they worked out pretty good. I made the mistake of making the Slots-Shapes in the Soft-Jaws the exact same size as my small parts so it made it difficult not only to insert my unfinished parts into those slots but, removing them afterward was a PITA as well.

A little judicious and forceful opening and closing of milling vice -with my small parts still in them- helped to loosen up those tight little slots in my newly minted Soft-Jaws so that I could then flip my semi-finished metal stock, slip them into the slots in my Soft-Jaws and then clamp them down so I could face off the remaining metal to get my finished shapes.

Thanks again for your help everyone. I now consider this project a success.

I never was able to engrave any text onto my Soft-Jaws. For some reason I just couldn't get my SprutCAM software to cooperate with me on that. Oh well, I have some letter-stamp tools that are a whole lot easier to use.

MetalShavings.

Good for you for making something that can help those p!ss poor triggers that feel like they are based on a non-ratcheting boat winch design! Break barrels can be difficult enough to get used to due to the the artillery hold quirk, but when you add a crap trigger on top of it a lot of folks get buyer's remorse quickly. It's pretty sweet how quickly a set of soft jaws can be designed/manufactured yet still provide a huge bang for the buck. The great thing is that with some careful facing and rotation you can get several part designs out of a single set of jaws.

As far as engraving goes are you importing vector text into Sprut or using the text generator within Sprut? I have had success with both approaches, but find the text generation within the program to provide repeatable results as long as you choose the correct diameter and type of end mill. Sometimes a small error in the tool definition will screw things up in a MAJOR way. FYI 2D contour is the operation that I use, and have not done anything with "Engraving". I am still using Sprut 7 though so I don't know if that function works well in the current version. Congrats again on getting these parts made...it always feels good when you finally get past a stumbling block.

This is the answer I was looking for. It also better explains the problem I was having with importing my line drawing into SolidWorks. Apparently, this problem is more common than I thought. I thought it was just me that had screwed this up.

As for the "Milling Advice" I originally posted my inquiry about, I think I have that part covered; thanks to some of the suggestions I received from you guys.

MetalShavings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzXQD06xfSY
    That's cool, but I use GibbsCam to draw with and I could have done what you did with about half the keystrokes.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Good for you for making something that can help those p!ss poor triggers that feel like they are based on a non-ratcheting boat winch design! Break barrels can be difficult enough to get used to due to the the artillery hold quirk, but when you add a crap trigger on top of it a lot of folks get buyer's remorse quickly. It's pretty sweet how quickly a set of soft jaws can be designed/manufactured yet still provide a huge bang for the buck. The great thing is that with some careful facing and rotation you can get several part designs out of a single set of jaws.

As far as engraving goes are you importing vector text into Sprut or using the text generator within Sprut? I have had success with both approaches, but find the text generation within the program to provide repeatable results as long as you choose the correct diameter and type of end mill. Sometimes a small error in the tool definition will screw things up in a MAJOR way. FYI 2D contour is the operation that I use, and have not done anything with "Engraving". I am still using Sprut 7 though so I don't know if that function works well in the current version. Congrats again on getting these parts made...it always feels good when you finally get past a stumbling block.

Thanks for the kind word. Next time I get a chance I'll try running the lettering/engraving attempts using the 2D contouring function. It's the one thing I didn't try as I was trying to figure out how to get it to work for me.

MetalShavings

MetalShavings
    To prove it out just select an endmill and air cut with the file, if it runs then that is the problem.
    Paranthesis in the description are not necessary at all, why they were put in I have no idea, I use just "engraver" in the description.

I tried the engraving op and had no luck with it, I always use 2D contour for engraving.
    I use the text function in Rhino as its much more intuitive than Sprut 7 in my opinion.
    mike sr

I've heard terrific things about gibscam but isn't it like $10,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    That's cool, but I use GibbsCam to draw with and I could have done what you did with about half the keystrokes.

Thanks for clarifying how you do this in rhino/sprut, popspipes.

To prove it out just select an endmill and air cut with the file, if it runs then that is the problem.
    Paranthesis in the description are not necessary at all, why they were put in I have no idea, I use just "engraver" in the description.

I tried the engraving op and had no luck with it, I always use @D contour for engraving.
    I use the text function in Rhino as its much more intuitive than Sprut 7 in my opinion.

Metalshavings:
    Nice setup and soft-jaws.
    I would rotate part and align with break in jaws in a way that will clamp on defined points of your part and not the entire profile of the part.
    Then the process of placing stock and removing parts a little less work and you still get a strong clamping force for the material.
    Something to consider for your next soft-jaw fixture. Like others I find this system and skill very useful and over time you start filing drawers up with these fixtures. This was the reason I made small custom vises and soft jaws for small part fab and store fixtures in a smaller space.
    Anyway ,thanks for posting results and pictures

Steve.
    With more or years of experience I would bet most anyone can do this far more efficiently in solidworks or many other products.
    With my cad cam experience I don't find it real hard to create entire new designs and assemblies with dozens of multisided parts ready to mill in a few keystrokes All depends on your skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Thanks for clarifying how you do this in rhino/sprut, popspipes.
    I do quite a bit of engraving, always with the 2D contour op, always centered, I was hoping that the PP conversational engraving would have this too, they have the X centered, but the Y is still off the bottom of the character, so I am back to Rhino again.
    I can make up text and have it ready for the machine in about 20 minutes or less, I use the flow around a curve command a lot,I make 2" round medallions out of scrap 2" round stock.
    mike sr

I tried the engraving op and had no luck with it, I always use 2D contour for engraving.
    I actually did go back and try deleting the paranthesis's on the code-line in question. It still wouldn't run. I got the same flashing "Nested Message" in line 9 after deleting the paranthesis's in line one. And if I deleted the paranthesis in line 9, I'd get the same message about another line so, that's when I gave up on it.

MetalShavings

I noticed when I tried using the texting/engraving feature in SprutCAM, I could create tool paths but, those tool paths would not pick up on letters that had any single straight lines; like the letter "H" or "I" or "L". The software seemed to see these as Open drawings.

It did seem to pick up on letters like "O" and "B" and such; any letter with a closed loop shape. I did think of trying to just create shallow letter- shaped features on the surface of my Soft-Jaw blocks in Solidworks and try to mill them as pockets but, it wasn't critical to have any lettering on my blocks and I have precious little free time as it is so, I used my letter-punches instead to designate the rear block from the front block so I'd get the same alignment each time I mounted them on my vice jaws.

MetalShavings

I actually did go back and try deleting the paranthesis's on the code-line in question. It still wouldn't run. I got the same flashing "Nested Message" in line 9 after deleting the paranthesis's in line one. And if I deleted the paranthesis in line 9, I'd get the same message about another line so, that's when I gave up on it.

MetalShavings
    Right, taking it out in the sprut tool description will be the easiest way, then when its postprocessed it doesnt show up in the g clode.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    I've heard terrific things about gibscam but isn't it like $10,000.
    I have close to $18,000.00 in my GibbsCam. I have it because I used to own a real CNC shop where I had Fadal and Haas CNC machining centers.

I have capabilities for 3, 4 and 5 axis milling, 4 axis turning and wire EDM.

Wow, for $1500 I will put up with the headaches of sprutcam

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I have close to $18,000.00 in my GibbsCam. I have it because I used to own a real CNC shop where I had Fadal and Haas CNC machining centers.

I have capabilities for 3, 4 and 5 axis milling, 4 axis turning and wire EDM.

I'm not a complete novice but with some projects I sure feel like one at times.

I have a 770 with all the bells and whistles. I've been trying to find the best way to mill some very small parts
    out of 1018 cold rolled flat bar. I've actually already done it with decent success but, every once in while it goes south on me.

It's not the Machine's fault. It's has to do with my skill level or experience.

I'm making some very small parts that are .250" thick. I'm using a 1/4" coated carbide end mill. In order to minimize the post milling work I've used 1/4" metal stock but once my end mill gets to the final layers of my cut, I run the risk of my parts breaking free of the metal stock and either flying off into obscurity in a damaged condition, breaking free just enough to trap and break my small end mill or damaging both the end mill and the parts I'm machining.

I have tried milling these same parts using .375" metal stock and then going back and in the post processing, actually use a metal file to remove the remaining 1/8" of metal to get it down to the 1/4" thickness I need. If I turn my metal stock around and mill off the remaining 1/8" of metal, I run the risk of the same thing happening to ruin my parts. Even though I'm using a larger end mill to plane off the remaining metal, as it reaches the last light passes, the small parts break free to their doom.

Please don't ask me to post my CAD or CAM files. I really don't want to do that at this time. I will post a pic of some of my prototype parts in order to give you an idea what I'm trying to describe. What I'm really asking is, how would you more experienced guys go about setting up your cutting paths for such small thin parts?

Picture trying to machine eight 3/4" x 1/4" thick trianglular parts from a piece of 1/4" thick by 1 1/4" wide metal stock. The actual geometry is a little more complex than a triangle. I'm just trying to paint a mental image for you.

Tim M.
    I'll give you one other option you may want to consider. It's not the fastest method, but is very easy, and works extremely well:

Use round bar stock, mounted vertically in a 3-jaw chuck mounted to the table. This allows you to machine 5 sides, then use a slitting saw to part it off. After doing one, use G52 to shift the Z origin down, and you can cut another one. I use this method often for cutting small parts that would otherwise be difficult to hold, and/or require turning the parts over part-way through machining. I can typically get about a half dozen parts from a single piece of stock, the limiting factor typically being the rigidity of the setup when the stock is at its longest. That can often be overcome by just using conservative cutting parameters.

Here's a part I used this method with just a few days ago:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...0&d=1441401980

Regards,
    Ray L.

Page 4 of 5 2345