587,089 active members*
3,032 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Selecting CNC Router Bits

I have recently finished my CNC Router Parts 4896 Router and looking for some router bits. I am using a Porter Cable 7518 Router as my spindle (3.25 hp, variable speed) and will be routing melamine and plywood for cabinet parts.

What type bits will minimize chipping on the melamine and tearout on crosscuts for the plywood? I hear alot about compression bits, but I am under the impression that you need to cut the sheed in 1 pass for them to do any good. Is this correct. Obviously upcut and downcut will leave 1 surface good and potentially 1 bad.

Looking to feed around 300 ipm at around a 1/4" DOC based on trials with the machine capabilities so far. This is a hobbiest environment so no $200 bits in the budget.

Thanks

Dan
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

The cheapest method would be to make one pass with a downcut spiral, then finish with an upcut spiral or even a 2 flute straight bit.

I'd try to use a mortise compression spiral. You can get two Vortex 3/8 mortise compression bits for $110. You have to buy 2 to get a price break, as it's $80 if you only buy 1. #3185
    Not sure if you can still find 3/8" PC collets?? I have one, but haven't seen them lately. You can always get a Precise Bits collet.

Vortex Tool: Two Flute Mortise Compression - Series 3100M

With that bit, I'd try to do it in two passes, slowing down a little if you have to.

Also look on Ebay, you may be able to find some good deals on compression spirals.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I think you can not get away under 100...
    if so then try alibaba marketplace

this link require you buy 10 bit and it might cost arund 199 dollar.. mightbe less or more ,,, pending on the diameter you need..

I think you can ask the 10 pieces as different diameters..

302 Found

certain way check on another sellers too...

Found a bit that I am relatively happy with so far. It is an Amana mortising spiral compression bit. 46350 (1/4" diam.) is the part number and I picked it up from Tools Today for 44.95. So Far I am getting chip free edges on both top and bottom in 3/4" melamine. Running .26 DOC at 250 IPM. Could easily run facter, but cutting small pcs, the machine does not really ramp up to that speed real quickly. I will probably cut something a bit bigger soon and try some higher feed rates to see how it does. Not sure how long the bit will stay sharp either, but in the short term it is working well.

I will also be looking to pick up a 3/8 diameter bit soon if this holds up.

Thanks for the help
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

The router bits contained on this website are designed for use in portable or stationary/CNC routing machines only. Do not use router bits in any other equipment such as a drill press, portable electric drill, etc. Conversely, ‘Boring Bits’, are designed for boring machines and/or drill presses, and not for routing machines or portable drills. Unless specified otherwise, all router bits on this website are for clockwise (right hand) rotation.