587,262 active members*
3,067 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Self made flood coolant system?

Saw a few pics and looks like nothing more than a cheap 100gph waterpump with a hose and a bucket. 200 buks for that? Am I missing something?

You aren't missing anything.The most expensive part is the pump.I saw one in a catalog for $150 without the pump.Just a plastic box with a metal top.That is obscene.

Do some shopping at your local Home Depot for a good Pump, Hose at an Automotive Supplier, and Lock Line, with a Clean 5 Gallon Bucket.

LOL, $75 Tops and it will work.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Before I used car window-wash pumps, but now I use small 12V water pumps from ebay, even cheap China made are good - costs few dollards. The only you need is coolant filtering from metal strips and pieces before it goes to pump - when not, then it stops very soon.
    On the lathe I use 5A adjustable switsh mode power supply (normally 5...6V), on cnc milling machine I use PWM drive - when full power then too high flow anyway. Current is never higher than 1A.
    There are two vessels below lathe or mill Used coolant comes from Table through large hose -> first vessel ca 5 L for silting ->outflow on the half of level from side through rude filter(!)( stainless net) -> second vessel ca 5L -> car fuel(gas) filter(!) between hose -> Pump-> Nozzle. All hoses - large and small one are transparent silicone hoses (medicine) - you can see at a glance when something goes wrongly (never happend).
    Vessels made from 5L plastic canisters I clean time to time, Car fuel filter I change when needed, commonly two times in year. I use common milk-like oil based emulsion - commercial coolant concentrate mixed with water.
    It works creat - wonder that peoples looking for large or some kind of expensive pumps - you never need it.
    I have one novelty more - on my milling machine I use high speed spindles (25k ....50k) I have several. When using water cooled Spindle (50k RPM) then milling coolant comes through the Pump -> Spindle inlet -> Spindle outlet -> coolant nozzle -:wee:
    -> kill two birds with one stone

Regards,
    Herbert

My flood system started with a pump from a defunct ice machine (cost $0),and a 5 gallon bucket. I "thought" lifting the bottom of the pump up would be enough to let the swarf silt out on the bottom of the bucket. Wrong. Anyhow, a piece got into the pump and ended up breaking the housing. It was just plastic so got to thinking and made a new impeller out of aluminum and the housing out of pvc pipe and fittings. Made it in the form of a "pedistal" pump so the motor is above the top of the bucket and the housing is located in the bottom. Filtering now consists of some fiberglass screen that is used in screen doors and windows.
    Has worked great for the past 3 years!
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Here's an excellent pump for only $25:

http://www.surplussales.com/Motors/Motors-7.html

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    Do some shopping at your local Home Depot for a good Pump, Hose at an Automotive Supplier, and Lock Line, with a Clean 5 Gallon Bucket.

LOL, $75 Tops and it will work.
    Great minds think alike.LOL.
    I bought a submersable pump,clear hose,and all the fittings from Home Depot.Got a nice rectangular box at work.We receive small parts from a vendor in these.The hard part is snatching a few of them before someone else does.To filter the coolant,I cut the bottom section out of a fatboy propane cylinder and welded a hose connection on the bottom.Coffee filters fit it perfectly.If the filters prove to be too fine,then I will use a removable fine mesh screen.I like those LOC-LINE fittings.They are inexpensive and stay where you bend them.

I got my pump from a parts cleaner (it's broken honest!) It's been going strong for 5 years in it's "tumble dryer filter box" I fitted a filter inline when I watercooled my gearbox output shaft....Total cost= £0 Holds 3 gallons (UK ones not the other smaller ones ) Filtration consists of a stolen sieve from the kitchen and an undergravel filter plate from an aquarium...Sweet!
    Keith

Talking

here's what I use for the line lock part

http://www.monstronix.com/jsp40101-p-51371.html

Its actually a steelman flexible flashlight, I removed all internals and inserted a 1/4" clear hose. Works for me!!! Under $6.00 USD...... oh and it has a magnetic base too.

robert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT1848.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I got my pump from a parts cleaner (it's broken honest!) It's been going strong for 5 years in it's "tumble dryer filter box" I fitted a filter inline when I watercooled my gearbox output shaft....Total cost= £0 Holds 3 gallons (UK ones not the other smaller ones ) Filtration consists of a stolen sieve from the kitchen and an undergravel filter plate from an aquarium...Sweet!
    Hmmmmmm............. this gives me a few ideas
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com