588,089 active members*
4,545 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Ya, expensive scales. Total accuracy of those machines is 2-4 millionths of an inch. Also a PIA to deal with.

Embedded XP is a stripped down version running off a memory card. Quite honestly, if your using the machine for bar code readers, SPC, etc.. the Mapps won't help you at all. Mori just makes nice fast iron. I am Okuma factory trained as well as Mori, and ive always said, Okuma for turning, Mori for milling.

Keep in mind this is the scale tolerance and not cut data. But everything is transferable. scale feed back to machine platform, to tooling , to set up. But yes cut data reflects better them average with little if any thermal variation.

If you took a Fanuc or Mitz control over laid windows and a conversational interface, you have the MAPPS/CAPS operating system. I just put an NL3000 in a shop with NO lathe experience and only one year machining experience. With two days training, he felt he was ready to go on his own. Testimonies available on request.

No, im talking actual machine tolerance on those. Not your average machine, the only Mori that even comes close to those is the 5 axis nano, and as far as I know, no one has one yet.
    We do have a Mori coming in that is 1 micron in all directions.

Ok, so for rest of the class then, what he means is a .1um (micron) scale, not .0001. He is referring to .0001mm, which is the equivalent to .1um (micron).

I was confused there for a bit.

1 Micron accuracy or repeatablity in all directions?
    What kind of machine has that Nano capability? I was looking out of curiosity on the Mori site, but the specs listed are minimal.

No, the scales (laser scales) made by Sony Scales ( a Mori company BTW ) are indeed .0001 micron resolution. Mori doesn't use those, they use more of a standard scale. And i mean accuracy of 1 um, repeatability is not accuracy. The little NVD 1500 is .5 micron, and they actually make a nano machine, test show .05 um last time I saw them, in fact they would cut so well, you could see the material grain structure after the cut.

When you order a high end Mori, you can order them as "super tuned" and specify what accuracy you will hold them to. Sometimes they simply say not possible, other times you just pay more.

So, I see now that you are differentiating between what is actually on the machine tool, and what has been produced yet not necessarily actually applied to a machine tool.
    The scales you refer to, last I read, were in prototyping stages and hadn't been applied to a metal cutting machine tool. correct me with sources here if i'm wrong because i would love to learn about a machine builder putting scales accurate of molecular measurement on a machine tool.
    I'm sure they are beyond p/t stages now, but i can't even fathom machining on an atomic dimensional level. Not to mention, how does one reliably measure a part made to that tolerance. I'm sure someone is willing to pay for that accuracy, but how does one prove it?
    Feeling more clear about that, the .01um is where i would be lacking clarity now.
    I would be reluctant to refer to .01um as "wide open". You are still barely above the atomic level with that resolution. 100 hydrogen atoms in a line approximately.

Interesting conversation.
    Slightly off topic, but, eh, whatever.

Not really a new concept, we actually had full laser feedback,with the beam encased in vacuum chambers in the late 70's on lathes here. One of our "old" cmm's is on its way to NIST in fact. This place has been doing this sort of thing for years. Moore Nanotech, and Precitech both make nano machines, for diamond turning with laser scales. Mori is the only one im aware of right now doing it on a 5 axis "mill". The mill doesn't really turn a rotating tool, its more of a microscopic drag of a tool over the surface.

Its a whole different world with this stuff, hydrostatic ways, air bearing spindles, isolation and temp control beyond belief. Took me years before I understood measurements they hold, and how SLOOOOOW this stuff moves. One little brush up against the turning tools and your at the surgeon getting tendons re-attached.

I never received any notifications for updates to this, and it looks like its diverged entirely from the thread it began as...

But no, we are not currently running horizontals. We have a couple Duracenters and a couple Duraverticals (both nearly the same machines, the 'vertical' just being a slightly newer model)

Both run Mapps 4, which is a PC user interface that feeds a Fanuc. Its among the best interfaces i've seen on a machine tool, no complaints there..

I'm not the biggest Mori fan in the world or anything, I realize that alot of companies make excellent machining centers.. But we've had a good track record with them, so we'll likely stick with them in the future. Been eyeing an NH400 for awhile, but mostly because its the only HMC that will fit in the space we have available.

Page 2 of 2 12