587,517 active members*
3,406 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Serial Port and vista

Just got laptop and has vista. found a usb to db9 converter works great. The problem I have is every time I try to send the file to my fanuc it gives me the dr signal off. If I use a terminal program it works fine. I'm using bobcad v21. Is there something I can tell bobcad that the port is connected so it will work thru bobcad? Help!!

Thanks

hi

Do your port settings match the port setting that you are using in bobcad? If you go to your control panel, it will show you the COM port number that is associated with the usb cable. You can click on the properies and change this to any number you wish, (COM1,COM2, COM3...) just make sure your software is using the same number .

Hope this helps

Serial port and vista

Yeah they do match I think it has something to do with the port being inactive when bobcad accesses it. I can send fine thru terminal program. Also my com port is thru a usb port and maybe bobcad doesn't recognize that.

thanks

I think the error refers to the DTR pin not being active. This pin is controlled by the coms software via the serial port driver.

If it is active with terminal but not when you're using bobcad then the answer may be to use a different coms program or make a custom cable and link DTR to another pin that goes high when the port is opened e.g. RTS.

It is fairly simple to see this happening if you have a port tester with LEDs for each pin.

You are welcome to try my software for free. (http://www.iworkshop.co.uk/)

Hope this helps.
    Andrew Carter

Does your fanuc end of the cable have pins 6, 8 and 20 jumpered together? This usually gets rid of the pesky 083 error.