588,243 active members*
4,329 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Servo amp for Fanuc motor need help matching

Servo amp for Fanuc motor need help matching

I have an old fanuc servo I would like to use but need to find an appropriate servo amp, motor is:

40S/2000
    A06B-0583-B065#7000

Searching the forum I found some fanuc data sheets which say the motor has a high resolution pulse coder 25000p/r but for the high resolution models it does not say whether it is absolute or incremental. Also is the encoder a standard quadrature or fanuc proprietary? Either way where could I find pinouts for it?

Matching it to the 'original' fanuc amp would be an option but I am not sure how.
    Are there any model number references for fanuc servo amps like for the motors?

I plan on using Mesa cards and EMC to drive it, the final card will depend on if I can find an analog or pwm amp.

Thanks.

Mesa cards and EMC

you can use the similar series of drive , what is the size you are planing for ? what is your interface type?But remember this type of motors and drives are specially designed for CNC machines closed loop circuits , some series like 30 180 and 300 are the open loop controller with the versatility you can use anywhere . My opinion only.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr4 View Post
    I have an old fanuc servo I would like to use but need to find an appropriate servo amp, motor is:

40S/2000
    A06B-0583-B065#7000

Searching the forum I found some fanuc data sheets which say the motor has a high resolution pulse coder 25000p/r but for the high resolution models it does not say whether it is absolute or incremental. Also is the encoder a standard quadrature or fanuc proprietary? Either way where could I find pinouts for it?

Matching it to the 'original' fanuc amp would be an option but I am not sure how.
    Are there any model number references for fanuc servo amps like for the motors?

I plan on using Mesa cards and EMC to drive it, the final card will depend on if I can find an analog or pwm amp.

Thanks.

This is a 7kw motor, I would like to have close to full power. Application is basically a turning C-axis so it has to be closed loop. It will have to switch between turning (dumb) and then index or possibly live c axis if the mechanicals are strong enough to work without a brake.

I am just starting this project and since I already have this motor I would like to use it. My biggest concern is the encoder working with the servo amp. If I have to replace the encoder or get the wrong amp I might as well just get a matched motor/drive combo.

The final interface will be a mesa card, which one depends on the drive I end up with either analog or pwm

can you please give exact drive and motor number?

If using anything but Fanuc drive, the problem is that the commutation is Fanuc proprietary, There is a add-on available to convert the commutation to normal BLDC.
    I have also fitted replacement encoders with comm. tracks.
    I believe you will find that is hi-res differential/incremental for the encoder portion.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Motor is:

40S/2000
    A06B-0583-B065#7000

I don't have a drive yet, that is what I am trying to find.

I looked the at pico systems fanuc converter but it's max resolution is listed as 10k p/r and this endcoder is 25k p/r.

Changing the encoder does not seem worth it as it will be 1. Lower res encoder, 2. have to buy it and a drive, 3. This motor is only 2k rpm, I would prefer faster.

I have found some threads on the EMC forum about using HAL to translate fanuc signals to something BLDC can use but I have not seen the actual protocol anywhere

What I also cannot find is which fanuc drive, there are plenty on ebay with the correct ratings but will they support the encoder?

which fanuc drive

You can use fanuc drive with externel encoder upto 100000PPR
    the encoder you are planning to use is a incremental or Absolute type of encoder?
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by paulr4 View Post
    Motor is:

40S/2000
    A06B-0583-B065#7000

I don't have a drive yet, that is what I am trying to find.

I looked the at pico systems fanuc converter but it's max resolution is listed as 10k p/r and this endcoder is 25k p/r.

Changing the encoder does not seem worth it as it will be 1. Lower res encoder, 2. have to buy it and a drive, 3. This motor is only 2k rpm, I would prefer faster.

I have found some threads on the EMC forum about using HAL to translate fanuc signals to something BLDC can use but I have not seen the actual protocol anywhere

What I also cannot find is which fanuc drive, there are plenty on ebay with the correct ratings but will they support the encoder?

I don't know if the encoder is abs or not. Unfortunately the only spec I have is a PDF I got searching the forum, it breaks down all the motor part numbers.

For all the other encoders it lists absolute or incremental, for the 3 high resolution part numbers (of which this is one -65) it only says 'high resolution pulse coder'

How many pins does the MS connector have 17 or 19p? I think you will find it is incremental, get the pin out and do a test.
    Also there should be a number on the encoder itself.
    If it is a 19p MS you may be out of luck.
    Al.

Albert E.

Unfortunately it is 19pin , so that means absolute encoders? Do you know where to find pinouts? I have not yet taken off the encoder cover, and there is no part no. (other than the motor) on the outside. Thanks.

Not sure if it confirms 100%, but usually the 19pin is either absolute or some other format, one of which requires an intermediary unit between encoder and system, IOW non-TTL differential.
    Al.

Albert E.