587,175 active members*
3,158 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Servo replacement

Hi
    I have a multicam 5000 series with a servo problem. The problem being that the bearings in the Z axis motor have seized due to lack of grease. It has obviously been dry since new as there is not even any residue to suggest that there has ever been any lubrication. I have replaced the bearings and i`m up and running again but I would like to have a at least one spare motor for future quick repair . The problem i`m having is sourcing a new motor as the original manufacturer ( In the U.K. at least) has been bought out & no longer deals with servos. Below is the info on the motor :

MCG 1500North front street

Part number - 3486 - ME 4698 - F
    MFG code - 001509 0616
    Cust No - 54 - 00102 - 00
    Tcont : 18.13 LB-IN Icont6014 AMPS
    Vrated : 170 VDC Speed : 6000 RPM

Does anybody know of a suitable alternative manufacturer as I would be prepared to replace all three motors . A straight swap out would be ideal . The original motors were built in China ( Which explains alot ) although the machine is American made . Can`t help thinking that if all the component parts were made in America then things would last a bit longer . Buy cheap buy twice. Or buy Chinese and always have you r hand in your pocket !

Any help would be appriecieated. Thanks
    Syd

Isn't MCG a US based company? I seem to recall they supplied the servos for my Techno router.

Hi slowlearner
    Thanks for your reply . Yes they are U.S. based but they source their parts from China. On the inside of the cover it said made in China so.... Likewise the spindle on mine is a Eurospindle which was made in Italy and the Z drive belt is made is France . All down to cost no doubt but in all things you get what you pay for..... If your lucky that is. ) It`s still a problem trying to find parts in the U.K. without going to the main stealers . For example a ballscrew from Multicam (UK) £400 Indipendant supplier £100. A big difference as you can see. Which is why i`m tring to source from the home market where possible & avoid anything that`s made in China . It may be cheap but it`ll cost you more in the long term.

Yaskawa Sigma 5
    Look on web site and call tech support in Chicago. They will tell you if and how to connect their drives to your CNC Control. Have them in all of my Milltronics and the ones built in 2001 can still be repaired overnight at their service center. You Get What You Pay For.

Good Luck
    Farmers Machine

Re: Servo replacement

I have a couple 5000 systems that we replaced I have the 4697 motor which is only 11.56 in-lb but I have a couple replacements motors that are very close to the one you are looking for. I also have the technic drives and a motion controller.