588,093 active members*
4,641 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Sherline material and sound?

Sherline material and sound?

I'm looking for a small/light mill and maybe lathe for plastic/brass/aluminum work, mostly for modifying Remote Control cars. I would use it in my apartment (so it can't be big or noisy). How loud is a sherline mill and lathe when machining plastic/brass/aluminum compared to using a dremel on these materials?

Basically I want to get something more accurate instead of using a dremel or drill by hand. Some of the material will be hard but if a dremel could do it a sherline mill could, right?

Right.....it's not that noisy....of course...you neighbors might have acute hearing...

So it's about as loud as a dremel?

You would probably do better to ask this question on the Sherline forum. But then you knew that anyway.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sherline/

Phil (chair)

Quote Originally Posted by 91bird
    So it's about as loud as a dremel?

I dremel kickin it at 15000 + rpm is pretty loud especially once you start bouncing the bit off the material your trying to cut as you hold the dremel in your hand. The sherline will make some noise but I don't find it really loud ( least my wife doesn't complain off in the shop) but in an apartment you never know what strange acoutical effect you may encounter.

Thing is you will be wanting to run at the max speed for most of the materials you want to cut and that is loudest. A secure setup in an enclosure if you plan to cnc it will deaden the sound if you need to. I have a Taig lathe and it runs quiet I imagine the sherline lathe is the same..

Then when your cutting chips all over you will want to kick on the shop vac. neighbors love those lol.

Mine is quieter than a dremel. I run it mostly at 10,000 RPM but also at normal speeds.

FWIW, I wouldn't buy another Sherline knowing what I know now. I would buy a Taig http://www.taigtools.com/. I have the 2000 CNC and I've had loads of problems (accuracy, rigidity, general quality, you name it...). You have to take VERY light cuts with it, i mean like 0.010 or less in aluminum. Without the patience of a saint, a Sherline is worthless.

If you're still interested, you can buy mine for less than MSRP