587,236 active members*
3,710 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Shop Prep Questions For Setting '08 VF-2 w/SMTC
Page 1 of 3 123

Shop Prep Questions For Setting '08 VF-2 w/SMTC

OK it looks like I will be getting my first machine next week or the following at the latest! woo-hoo.

I will not be paying someone to set, level and hook up the machine so I have to get my ducks in a row prior to the machine arriving. I have several questions, but if I am missing any question relevant to moving the mill in please feel free to bring it to my attention.

1. Do I have to pre-drill the anchor bolts prior to moving the machine into place or is there room to drill the holes after the machine is placed?

2. What is the height of a side mount tool changer?

3. Can the chip auger be switched to dump out the right hand side of the mill?

4. Can anyone give me these two dimensions for A and B on the drawing below?

for my VF-2 `07 about A: 670mm B: 760mm

Quote Originally Posted by pit202 View Post
    for my VF-2 `07 about A: 670mm B: 760mm
    Thank you!

1 None of my HAAS have anchoring holes I suppose you could put some angle clamps on them but Haas does not require anchoring.

2 My tool changer height is aprox. 94"

3 I have never tried it but it looks like you can swap it. Buy a gasket kit or make new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by l u k e View Post
    OK it looks like I will be getting my first machine next week or the following at the latest! woo-hoo.

I will not be paying someone to set, level and hook up the machine so I have to get my ducks in a row prior to the machine arriving. I have several questions, but if I am missing any question relevant to moving the mill in please feel free to bring it to my attention.

1. Do I have to pre-drill the anchor bolts prior to moving the machine into place or is there room to drill the holes after the machine is placed?

2. What is the height of a side mount tool changer?

3. Can the chip auger be switched to dump out the right hand side of the mill?

4. Can anyone give me these two dimensions for A and B on the drawing below?

Thanks ntcnc!

I have another question, what is the highest spindle height on the VF2 for ceiling clearance?

For a side mount like mine I measured 116" you need more for a shuttle tool changer.

Quote Originally Posted by ntcnc View Post
    For a side mount like mine I measured 116" you need more for a shuttle tool changer.
    Mine is coming with the SMTC so I'll go with the 116" measurement. Looks like I'll have to do a little drywall work to give it a little more clearance but that's not a problem...

you wont be able to change the position of the chip conveyor as the motor is on the right.
    well you could but your talking some major work.

if you feel the concrete isnt thick enough put some 8"x 8" pads down even 1'x 1' pads it will help distribute the weight more.

My advice. hook up the machine yourself, but get someone who KNOWS what there doing to level it the first time. the Machine level makes all the difference in the world on your part finish

Delw

With the information I got here the auger position wont matter as the machine has to "now" go in the center of the shop for spindle clearance. (The ceiling is vaulted to the center of the room.)

If I remember correctly in a standard garage you will have to cut 1 truss for clearance of the head and the tool changer, and run the right side of the head about 2" from the right side truss. the machine head and tool changer should fit between 3 truss's with the middle one being cut out.
    cutting one roof truss is no biggy just run 2x4's or 2x6s from where the cut is made to the top parts of it kinda like a box then use 1/2 cdx and make a box around it so your attic heat wont screw the machine up. dont forget you need to have a fan up there to get air to circulate around the head otherwise its going to get hot up there really fast from the spindle motor.

My shop starts at 95.5" then vaults to 115.5" so it looks like I may have to make a little room. I can't find the exact measurements of the spindle assembly so I'm not exactly sure what I need to do yet, but it shouldn't be too bad.

I actually already have 3 "pockets" built into the ceiling for pulling engines and such, but they are not in the correct spot for the mill.

The mill will be at the very back of the shop centered in the room...

Quote Originally Posted by ntcnc View Post
    2 My tool changer height is aprox. 94"
    My shop door is exactly 94 inches; I don't suppose you're sitting "high" on the leveling feet are you?

My vf2 with z all the way up is 117-118" tall to the top of the black cable accordian cover
    from front to back of the top of the spindle head to the back of the black cable cover is 3 feet in length and 1.5 feet wide.
    I am sitting WAY low on the pads
    so I am guessing your going to need a cut out 3-4 feet from front to back 1.5-2 feet side to side at 120" tall.
    top of carolsel as it doesnt move is 95.5 inches tall

Delw

looking at the pic those cut outs will need to be turned around 90 degress in order for it to work. they only need to be about 2 feet wide but definatly need 3 foot in length its going to be pretty close might have to take a inch or so off at the most, maybe just take the sheet rock off might do it.

OR I suppose I could turn the mill 90* I'll have to lay it out, thanks...

Oh-yea how much room can I gain by removing the SMTC cover, have you ever had it off?

I was looking at that maybe and inch or so I never took one off. but from the looks of it , it should fit in your doorway anyhow as long as the head is brought below the tool changer .

I fit my VF-3 thru a 96" (8') garage door, so you should be able to get a VF-2 thru no problem. They had to drop the SMTC cover and open and flatten down the conduit to the head to get it thru. Once in, I got it where I wanted it, leveled it, then raised the head up and marked where the hole in the ceiling needed to be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VF-3Fit.jpg   VF-3Fit2.jpg  

Man I can’t see any possible way to have a rigger put this in the exact spot in my shop without me having to jog it around.

I might be able to get it close if I had a perfectly detailed drawing of the VF2 with all the necessary measurements, but I’ve never seen any online. How difficult is it to move these around without a fork lift? I suppose I could build a dolly, but I checked prices of casters rated at 2400 lbs (ea) and it would run about $600 for 4. Any suggestions on how to move the VF2 around in a home shop?

Edit:

A little more reasearch shows skates would be the way to go> http://www.mcmaster.com/#2496t78/=80kqs1 but they are pricey!

Check your local industrial rental supply. When I move my equipment I just rent the skates. If your cement is good and level than you can easily move them around with skates. I moved my VF-4 with only 4 people. Make sure you have help and you have a good spotter to keep an eye on the skates you can loose one easily if not careful.

Page 1 of 3 123