588,535 active members*
5,659 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end
Page 121 of 184 2171111119120121122123131171
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 3662

Re: Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Haven't got it yet.......probably another 10 days according to the schedule they keep......it's only just passed quarantine so it's still with the customs.
    Ian.
    Yes, in AUS the customs takes forever there. Every shipment just site there. Only one country worst for customs and its Cyprus .2 months they hold stuff
    XZero cnc

OK.................hold your breath, here comes the final analysis and the final cost to date........pick up is scheduled for midday Monday 26 October.

The mill cost US$6073 to buy from China with all the options mentioned previously in October 2013..

This escalated then to A$6676 when the bank transfer fees and currency conversion was calculated in October 2013...... OZ$ being at parity with the US $....1 for 1 etc.

In October 2015 the scene changes dramatically.......the OZ $ being now approx 68 cents to the US$......boo hooo.

So the customs declaration or valuation of the shipment with the currency conversion........ TO DATE..... comes to A8510 and is what all customs charges are based on.

So.........Port of Melbourne fees.........A$402.00

Customs quarantine and other charges......A$945.00

Brokerage and final fees...........................A908.00.

The final figure for this mill package comes to A$10,765.

This is an indication of what you are up against when you do a direct importation over an extended period of time from a cost in US dollars against another fluctuating currency.

The fact that the mill package total price was originally US$6073 back in 20213 when the OZ $ was at parity, is the kick in the balls 2 years later for customs charges that happens when the vendor works with a US dollar cost factor for their goods.

It insulates the seller from currency fluctuations, but puts the buyer in a sticky position, especially with the extended delivery date that occurred.

The only people that win are the port of entry customs brigade who charge according to the present value of the package in converted OZ dollars no matter when the shipment was originally bought and paid for.

This is something to be very aware of when getting quotes that might take a long time coming.

Without the added profit margin, I wonder how many people would buy the mill at this final price from a local machinery dealer.
    Ian.

Hey all.....the shipping time was fantastic.......the shipment was dispatched on the 29th September from China, arrived on the 13th October and was ready for pick up today 23 October, but as the depot people are off the site pick up will be Monday 26th.

Actual customs time was 10 days.......money talks........so does the right brokerage people.

Now for a bit of recommendations........QUBE Logistics (Global) Pty Ltd are the shipping agents (probably Defeng's mates) who recommended Conroy Removals ( Local depot) with Seaway Logistics doing the brokerage........they certainly have got their act together as the whole processing of the shipment went by emailed invoices and as smooth as clock work......money paid by electronic bank deposit etc... ......I recommend them......hope I don't get shot at dawn for that.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by gio666 View Post
    Yes, in AUS the customs takes forever there. Every shipment just site there. Only one country worst for customs and its Cyprus .2 months they hold stuff
    Canada no better. Still waiting on some specialized bearings from Russia to come in and that's over a month now.
    And in case your wondering why Russia, well the spindle being repaired uses a odd sized o.d. and no one else makes it except Poland NSK.
    Go figure. Just my luck.

LOL.....the CIA are probably holding them back looking for the "hidden" microphones the Ruskies might have installed......on the other hand maybe the CIA are installing microphones to keep check on you.......they might be thinking the bearing code is a secret cypher that they haven't been able to decipher yet......try slipping the customs guys some money and you'll get results much quicker.
    Ian.

Ahhhhh, the good news is......I now have Fusion 360 working as a start up option.

It meant creating another account on my OS, and that worked immediately.

I have to say many thanks to Marshall Tu of the Shanghai Autodesk office for that suggestion.....his blood is worth bottling....LOL.
    Ian.

Slipping some money to the customs office here = jail time in this country. I'll pass and practice a little patience.

I received two larger machine deliveries from Canada to South Alabama. Both took 5 days from leaving the warehouse to arrival at my door. Do you think it may have been because ALL the paperwork WAS in order?
    I am certain that played a roll in the wait time at Customs.
    Lee

there is one thing I learnt here don't get TNL to do the shipping they will take it to the port at the other end of the country ship it back to the other end on a truck passing through their local depot, on to another port on the same truck then back to the local depot then drop of it was going to go past its finial drop of point twices before being dropped of, it cost a extra $600 to get them to go from port to drop of point in one go.

next time mainfreight will do it they charge $15 extra to pick it up wherever it is and a extra $150 to drop it at your door at your conveniences.
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I received two larger machine deliveries from Canada to South Alabama. Both took 5 days from leaving the warehouse to arrival at my door. Do you think it may have been because ALL the paperwork WAS in order?
    I am certain that played a roll in the wait time at Customs.
    Actually, you can guess it has more to do with trade sanctions between the two countries.
    It's ok, my friend at customs told me to be patient. It's here, just not here where I can close up the spindle.

Hi, by "slipping the customs money" I metaphorically meant paying the bills they "suggested" and lumping it.

The only paper work I had to have available was the invoice for the mill build from Defeng and another bit of paper, also from Defeng, stating that it was brand new, not been used on any material or field tested etc.

The bill of lading was already in the shippers hands at this end, so in reality, the paperwork was pretty simple........that is provided you don't attempt to do the broking yourself to save money.

I think if you try to by pass the system with a DIY approach they close ranks and make life extremely difficult if not impossible for you.......it's the old boy's network at it's best.

Once the goods are cleared and in the Brokers facility, it's up to you how you get it home....they can deliver at cost if you cannot or live too far away, but freight charges can be awesome.

This weekend I'll be in top gear re-arranging the workshop, or to put it another way, shifting the treasure around to make way for the mill......some things you collect just can't be got rid of.

I've found a way to have treasure, odds and ends etc without the headache of it lying around.......get plastic stacking tubs with lids, number them and photograph all the stuff you store in them, also print out pics and store them in a folder for easy access......that way you can find anything by referring to the photos.....I can say it definitely works.........28 A4 copy paper boxes do work for me......the 58 plastic tubs are all household treasure....LOL

The point is, you can shift stacked boxes full of treasure easily with a hand truck if you want to get access to anything and put it all back again.
    Ian.

Hi....it's home, well it's in my driveway being unpacked and as it's now getting dark it's covered over with plastic sheeting until the morning.

A word of warning to like purchasers........it's easy for them getting the packing crate onto your trailer with a fork lift, but the most difficult thing getting it off again at home.......there is just nothing, apart from another forklift, that enables you to get that 200kg weight off the trailer and up onto a bench......by itself maybe.......but in the enclosure and without damaging the casing........very difficult.

Another dire word of warning........the packing crate is sealed with a series of metal tabs that interlock and keep the whole shebang together.........if you don't want to get sliced up be very careful bending the tabs back when you dismantle the casing......an old screw driver, pliers and a claw hammer work well.

The mill sub frame base is bolted down to the pallet so the pallet needs to be removed eventually to get it up onto the bench.

I'll post the next move tomorrow when I do the lifting, but it isn't going to be easy, even with an engine crane and pallet truck available.

I think I would like to have had two 20mm diam holes through the sides of the column, about three quarter way down to fit a cross bar through.

This would make lifting using an engine crane with a simple looped rope very easy. as the column at that point would be more or less on balance even if it hung at a slight angle......nothing would get banged about or scratched, and it would mean one move only from pallet to bench top.
    Ian.

Another dire word of warning........the packing crate is sealed with a series of metal tabs that interlock and keep the whole shebang together.........if you don't want to get sliced up be very careful bending the tabs back when you dismantle the casing......an old screw driver, pliers and a claw hammer work well.
    Photos of the band-aids?

Cheers and ENJOY
    Roger
    PS: my favorite weapon: large blacksmiths pliers, with gloves.

Logistics and lifting equipment are a necessity of machine receipt and installation. It's all part of it. It can be an art form or at least a very skilled job. You really have to think it through. Ultimately you want to put it where it goes without much disassembly. Sometimes that just won't work. Now remember, you have got to snap some pictures. I am certainly happy to see that you did get the machine you paid for. The fun is only beginning.
    Lee

Here's a couple of photos of the arrival at home base........the sub frame has been unbolted from the pallet and it's raised on blocks ready for the lifting..........as it was about to rain the last photo is with the plastic cover on.....the "inspectors" are having a look over to see what the fuss is about.

Tomorrow the lifting begins.
    Ian.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1539.jpg   DSCF1540.jpg   DSCF1542.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Logistics and lifting equipment are a necessity of machine receipt and installation. It's all part of it. It can be an art form or at least a very skilled job. You really have to think it through. Ultimately you want to put it where it goes without much disassembly. Sometimes that just won't work. Now remember, you have got to snap some pictures. I am certainly happy to see that you did get the machine you paid for. The fun is only beginning.
    Hi Lee......no disassembly is going to happen, not unless it topples off the trailer and something falls off.....LOL.......Defeng will be horrified.

I've got a 2 ton engine crane and a 2 1/2 ton pallet truck, so moving it won't be too hard once I figure out how to grab it for the lift.......I don't want to crush the casing in by wrongly roping it......tomorrow will be the acid test.
    Ian.

BTW........they do make ISO20 tooling with ER32 chucks......I have 10 of them now and the ISO 20 shanks are not too small for that size chuck.

In case anyone doubts the wiseness of that choice....by no stretch of the imagination could you bend that shank even with a large hammer.
    Ian.

.they do make ISO20 tooling with ER32 chucks.
    Photos, brand and URL?

Can I suggest taking the clear plastic door off first? With that out of the way, things will be 'easier'.

Cheers
    Roger

So.....what were the results of the Cat Scan?
    Lee

> what were the results of the Cat Scan?
    No life was detected.

Cheers
    Roger

Page 121 of 184 2171111119120121122123131171