588,126 active members*
5,841 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end
Page 133 of 184 3383123131132133134135143183
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 3662

Re: Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end

I checked into 3 phase they would need to put 2 poles in to drop it to a meter cost about 20,000. Although 3 phase power is more efficient or so I'm told. Quite a few people around me have installed 3 phase for there water wells and seen the monthly power bill drop.

Quote Originally Posted by newman55598 View Post
    I checked into 3 phase they would need to put 2 poles in to drop it to a meter cost about 20,000. Although 3 phase power is more efficient or so I'm told. Quite a few people around me have installed 3 phase for there water wells and seen the monthly power bill drop.
    Those would have to be some serious hp well pumps to see any justification out of that.

Most are 5 hp. It might be worth it if you was lucky and had it ran on your property already but not at the price they want to run it.

The pump manufactures also claim the 3 phase motors last longer. Couldn't prove it by me though.

Quote Originally Posted by newman55598 View Post
    The pump manufactures also claim the 3 phase motors last longer. Couldn't prove it by me though.
    Well i happen to have a little experience in this field, at 5 hp it makes no sense to bring in 3 phase power to run a pump. A 3 phase motor is less complicated then a 1ph motor and thus will last longer. If you want to be more efficient and make a pump and motor last longer, then using a frequency drive to run a pump can definitely help. for a 5 hp pump pentair actually makes a nice drive system, i forget what is called but i was always impressed with it. On the flip side the franklin electric subdrive 300 is the biggest piece of garbage one can find. You can however buy a 3phase pump and motor a pressure sensor and a frequency drive that will take single phase and make 3 and set it up quite nicely. The yaskawa IQ pump drive is actually fantastic for this. however these systems have to be setup right.

However this is now waaaaaaayyyyyyy off topic, how about them chinese mills eh?

Hi....anyone who is using 240 volts at 600 amps in a domestic scene has to be a millionaire.....try 21 cents per KWh for a starter.

I've got 240 volts and 20 amps, but that was specially put in by the aircon people when they put the air conditioner in years ago.......I had an electrician do some additional wiring and he also extended the 20 amp line to the garage so my welder would be happy.......I don't use that one any more as I invested in a plasma welder and that can run on as low as 240 volts and 10 amps,...(recommended amps are 15)... and still get to 8,000 deg C for welding.

BTW, the local council will be up in arms if you carry out any significant business activities in the 'burbs, and using large amounts of electricity will soon alert them......something to do with the fluctuations on the line affecting the balance at the local substation.....they like to supply to a steady load and big power tools switching on and off are a no no........that is what industrial estates are for with their 3 phase supply.

I don't think the consumption for the SVM-0....when it eventually gets going...... will make a ripple on the line

Here's a conundrum for you.....years ago I bought a K.O.Lee tool and cutter grinder on the USA EBAY and as you guessed it was 110 volts......so I went on EBAY and bought a 110 volt transformer.....I was the only bidder....and got it for $25.........it was massive........70 amps at 110 volts ........when that was switched on, even without a load, it tripped the breaker.....the grinder head/motor on the cutter grinder was only 3/4 hp....so a bit of overkill without thinking.
    Ian..

makes sense, cheaply made transformer. the inrush current for the transformer is doing it. still does it at 20A too?

Edit, I've got 200A service to my house, does that make me rich too? Cause if it does then why do I have to work my ass off?

these are our electrical rates, helps to have water to make all your electricity....

Energy Charge
    Step 1

$0.0797 per kWh for first 1,350 kWh in an average two month billing period (22.1918 kWh per day)

Step 2

$0.1195 per kWh over the 1,350 Step 1 threshold

2nd edit, shipping had to be quite something on that transformer 70A at 110? thats a lot of copper!

3rd edit, being Originally from Europe i have often laughed at how little power other countries have going to their households, just looking back though 20A going to your house because you got AC thats too funny, we have 30A(yes i know 110v) hookups for motorhome's at camp grounds.... North americans,,,, so incredibly wastefull!

Hi....yes.......the lights flicker as it trips out the breaker......couple of times it managed to get on, but mostly too much inrush.....gonna sell it on as it's far too big for my needs......weighs about 80 kg......I bought it over here from a guy from the States who bought it for all his USA stuff that ran on 110 volts
    Ian.

PS....we have tons of coal....some water too, and a bit of wind and solar.

Quote Originally Posted by xjdubber View Post
    makes sense, cheaply made transformer. the inrush current for the transformer is doing it. still does it at 20A too?

Edit, I've got 200A service to my house, does that make me rich too? Cause if it does then why do I have to work my ass off?

these are our electrical rates, helps to have water to make all your electricity....

Energy Charge
    Step 1

$0.0797 per kWh for first 1,350 kWh in an average two month billing period (22.1918 kWh per day)

Step 2

$0.1195 per kWh over the 1,350 Step 1 threshold

2nd edit, shipping had to be quite something on that transformer 70A at 110? thats a lot of copper!

3rd edit, being Originally from Europe i have often laughed at how little power other countries have going to their households, just looking back though 20A going to your house because you got AC thats too funny, we have 30A(yes i know 110v) hookups for motorhome's at camp grounds.... North americans,,,, so incredibly wastefull!
    Heck......my electricity usage for a 90 day period was 1343 Kwh at a KWh rate of $0.21....total cost with supply to the property and gst etc comes to $405.....reduced to $314 if I pay on time.

The irony of the electric supply thingo is, with the Government's drive to encourage people to go solar and fit solar panels to their roofs, so many people have done it that the reduced revenue from the supply is now making it more expensive to produce it.....this is an environmental backfire of enormous proportions.
    Ian.

did they tale you that they only pay wholesale for back selling the solar what works out to 20 years for it to pay for itself that's here anyway.

got the machine cutting yet Ian
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Heck......my electricity usage for a 90 day period was 1343 Kwh at a KWh rate of $0.21....total cost with supply to the property and gst etc comes to $405.....reduced to $314 if I pay on time.

The irony of the electric supply thingo is, with the Government's drive to encourage people to go solar and fit solar panels to their roofs, so many people have done it that the reduced revenue from the supply is now making it more expensive to produce it.....this is an environmental backfire of enormous proportions.
    Ian.
    check this out

http://www.digikey.ca/Web%20Export/S...f?redirected=1

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    did they tale you that they only pay wholesale for back selling the solar what works out to 20 years for it to pay for itself that's here anyway.

got the machine cutting yet Ian
    Nahh.....I must have done the driver and XML files install a dozen times now with same error messages....still no results..........Sales have offered to take over the install and see what is happening........everything done according to the PDF from sales (as far as I can see) on how to install the driver and XML files to Win XP, but it isn't happening.

When I click on the Mach3 loader I get a small box saying....Plugin DLL defective, reload....OK....second error message says.......JNC-40m ver 1.56.DLL-defective plug in found-ignoring.....OK .......but when the Mach3 screen opens the driver doesn't appear in the config plugins listing., and the mill is inactive to all jog attempts.

Sales knows about it and are helping to remedy the problem.

They say it works for other mill owners, so probably I'm doing something wrong.

Just checked and the Mach3 version I've downloaded is the '66 if that means anything.
    Ian.

Just checked and the Mach3 version I've downloaded is the '66 if that means anything.

Ya, the version everyone told you to stay away from. Too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by xjdubber View Post
    Wow....all that calculation......I considered wiring in a 100 Watt light bulb in series with the live wire to slow the inrush down, and when the voltage built up to 240 just short it out with a 240 volt relay......the relay NC contacts would remain closed while the voltage was low and rising, but would activate when the trannie was "full" and the voltage was at 240.....I think.
    Ian.

What's wrong with the 66 version of mach3? Why shouldn't he use it?

When I tried using it on my Pulsar, it would not home correctly. There maybe more issues too. I forget what the actual issue was, but much easier to install the .062 version.
    Lee

it has a lot of little problems

Ian the .xml just goes in the Mach3 folder on your c drive, the other bits you are see is something is wrong with the plugin or something is missing
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Wow....all that calculation......I considered wiring in a 100 Watt light bulb in series with the live wire to slow the inrush down, and when the voltage built up to 240 just short it out with a 240 volt relay......the relay NC contacts would remain closed while the voltage was low and rising, but would activate when the trannie was "full" and the voltage was at 240.....I think.
    Ian.
    Not sure what circuit you are talking about here where you want to limit in-rush current, but a 100W light bulb won't work so well. Can't carry enough current for any significant load, wrong resistance, and short-lifespan. The ICL that xjdubber linked are in the 1-10 ohm range, a 100W lightbulb resistance is about 20 ohms when cold, 600 ohms when hot.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Pretty tough to get your hands on around here too.
    Lee

and using an LED or CFL definitely won't work...
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Page 133 of 184 3383123131132133134135143183