588,500 active members*
5,413 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end
Page 36 of 184 2634353637384686136
    That's pretty awesome! Also those ISO spindle parts are looking good; it's nice to know I could get one and just bolt it on when I need it!

Hi Louie, the interface mounting is the main area to look at.

I had to get the ISO20 spindle custom made to have the OD of the body at 80mm without the flange from the standard body diam of 72mm with a flange so that it would be compatible with the body of the high speed spindle, which is 80mm standard......the head casting being split to do the clamping etc.

I considered the ISO20 spindle with the SVM-0 as the bare minimum for tool changing (QCT) be it with a manual one by one method or an ATC type, and there is no other option that can meet this need.

Even if you have all the time in the World, just changing tools with the flick of a switch becomes the must have feature as opposed to mounting and unmounting an ER chuck each time.......drilling several holes in sequence high lights this, and I won't mention plunging to a known depth as a definitely must have feature.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi Sky......."a small man and a big head"......LOL, very well put.

That's good news on the ISO20 spindle.

One important acquisition for the SVM series would be a decent mill vice.

I have in mind a toolmakers type vice with a 125mm wide jaw for the SVM-0, as this has quite a low profile and with the pull down feature of the moving vice jaw it would do the job very well.
    Ian.
    lol.. I will update the 80mm ISO20 spindle unit when it's assembed. I'm sure the cartridge is quite strong for SVM-0

I agree that the precision vices with angle pulling down feature will be a good choice for millings. I'm looking for a good such vice manufacturer too so I can provide this accessory.

I'm expecting the enclosures and sheet metal parts finish very soon so I can go forward of the buidling for you guys!
    www.skyfirecnc.com
    Email: [email protected]; Skype: skyfirecnc

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    That's pretty awesome! Also those ISO spindle parts are looking good; it's nice to know I could get one and just bolt it on when I need it!
    Hi Louie, I had to build 5 sets of the 80mm ISO20 becuase machining supplier would not do it for me with just one set order..so, I'm sure it will be avaliable when you need it..lol

And, your ballscrew shaft parts are under machining too. we may be able to see it after 10 days or so.
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Hi, the good news is, we are keeping Sky's nose pressed firmly to the grindstone....LOL.....can't wait to see the end results of the enclosure build.

I just did some comparison evaluation tests in my garage to see what the scale of the build package would look like and it's a pretty compact pile of machinery......the enclosure gives it a different perspective to the stand alone on the bench model that was posted on UTUBE when the first aluminium and steel test pieces were done.
    Ian.

nice 80mm iso 20 spindle. yum. what is the total length of the housing on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    Hi Louie, I had to build 5 sets of the 80mm ISO20 becuase machining supplier would not do it for me with just one set order..so, I'm sure it will be avaliable when you need it..lol

And, your ballscrew shaft parts are under machining too. we may be able to see it after 10 days or so.
    That's doubly awesome!

Hi, the good news is, we are keeping Sky's nose pressed firmly to the grindstone....LOL.....can't wait to see the end results of the enclosure build.

I just did some comparison evaluation tests in my garage to see what the scale of the build package would look like and it's a pretty compact pile of machinery......the enclosure gives it a different perspective to the stand alone on the bench model that was posted on UTUBE when the first aluminium and steel test pieces were done.
    Ian.
    LOL... I've been noticed that the enclosures have been finished now. the current problem is how to ship to my facility safe..We ask the supplier pack up the enclosures with foams and make wood frames to make sure no damage during shipment.

I have got too busy recently and even have no time to update the progress and website But I will make sure everyone happy at last..lol
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    nice 80mm iso 20 spindle. yum. what is the total length of the housing on it?
    Hi, you mean the 80mm cartridge I think? it's 155mm length.
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    That's doubly awesome!
    I will send you pictures when I get them from my lathe man.
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Hi, you mean the 80mm cartridge I think? it's 155mm length.
    thanks.

LOL... I've been noticed that the enclosures have been finished now. the current problem is how to ship to my facility safe..We ask the supplier pack up the enclosures with foams and make wood frames to make sure no damage during shipment.
    Since you have to consider, how to ship out completed (with enclosure) machines anyway, I'd suggest you use same crates to ship enclosures to you and completed machines to your customers because the size shouldn't change much when completing the mills.

I like that ER32 spindle, nice size! I think I still prefer the BT30 though.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Hi Louie, the interface mounting is the main area to look at.

I had to get the ISO20 spindle custom made to have the OD of the body at 80mm without the flange from the standard body diam of 72mm with a flange so that it would be compatible with the body of the high speed spindle, which is 80mm standard......the head casting being split to do the clamping etc.

I considered the ISO20 spindle with the SVM-0 as the bare minimum for tool changing (QCT) be it with a manual one by one method or an ATC type, and there is no other option that can meet this need.

Even if you have all the time in the World, just changing tools with the flick of a switch becomes the must have feature as opposed to mounting and unmounting an ER chuck each time.......drilling several holes in sequence high lights this, and I won't mention plunging to a known depth as a definitely must have feature.
    Ian.
    If you recall, I have the first split-head mill, which is why I am also interested in the flangeless ISO spindle.

Hi Louie, it was only when Sky showed the split head design for the SVM-0 mill, that I decided to buy the mill package with both ISO20 and high speed spindle modified to have the same body diams.

I like conformity when it comes to engineering paraphanalia, so just the ER32 spindle would not have raised a sweat, although the mill just by itself is a pretty neat set-up, but I like to get out of the box and experience the variables etc, and I'm totally dedicated to QCT, so ISO20 it had to be.

The logical progression for the enclosure progress would have to be the delivery of the raw enclosure cases to his workshop, and to do the powdercoating in house to offset any damage in transit to the finished items.....one scratch on a finished panel and it's virtually history......you can't touch up a powdercoat finish easily if at all.

With that problem in mind, I would think that in house 2 pack paint would probably be the way to go if the damage in transit could not be eliminated.

The fact that coolant is present and the casing is made from steel raises the question as to how well the powdercoat will stand up against the synthetic ooolants and any subsequent paint damage from use etc over a period of time that would lead to rusting in the corners etc.

Repairing a powdercoat finish is not easy, and it means a paint over with just ordinary paint, be it 2 pack or anything else, the colour match will not match.

I've worked in industry where it is used and know how tough powdercoat can be, but it's not bullet proof and damage from dropped metal objects will happen, apart from the effects of abrasion from swarf removal etc, so touch up repair work to the finish has to be considered as a "going to happen" scenario, and if the original finish was 2 pack it can be a DIY solution with a spay gun.

If the paint colour is a standard mix and available from your local paint dealer, then it is a simple job to effect a repair.
    Ian.

Hi Sky, while you are adding "things" to your website, I think a nice 125mm (jaw width) toolmakers vice for the SVM-0 would make a good addition to the capability to be a complete package.

The one I have in mind is with the angled lock screw that pulls the moving jaw down as it clamps the job.

There are ones available from SHARS in Canada at a very reasonable price, but they won't post to Australia for some reason, and the cost of shipping is about $400.

I expect China can better that, and if a buyer of the mill had one as a package deal the shipping would be nil as it could go with the mill.
    Ian.

Hi Sky, while you are adding "things" to your website, I think a nice 125mm (jaw width) toolmakers vice for the SVM-0 would make a good addition to the capability to be a complete package.

The one I have in mind is with the angled lock screw that pulls the moving jaw down as it clamps the job.

There are ones available from SHARS in Canada at a very reasonable price, but they won't post to Australia for some reason, and the cost of shipping is about $400.

I expect China can better that, and if a buyer of the mill had one as a package deal the shipping would be nil as it could go with the mill.
    Ian.
    you might be better off with a 4 or 5" glacern kurt style vice for $300ish. most of the cheap Chinese vises are simply not good. I have a few tool makers vises and they are too clumsy to use.

If he could make up a nice quality girrardi style vise in 4" or 5" for $300 or less, that would be nice.

Unfortunately it's not really possible to get a glacern or similar in Australia. They aren't sold locally and shipping is just too much. Cheap
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Hi, there must be more vices going the rounds than fleas on a dogs back, but as I already have a 4" one, I thought the toolmakers vice in 125mm wide jaw would be compact.

I just don't need another project to have to go and make one, so if all else fails the current one in my arsenal will have to suffice.

I hope the note that "cheap Chinese tools are no good" isn't true as all my tool holders for the SVM-0 are being sourced from China, and so far all my other tools for my Ajax mill with ISO40/ER32 tool holders and collets are Chinese too and I haven't got any complaints so far.

I am a great believer in the axiom that when all things are equal the cheapest is always the best.

I just bought one of those mag base dial indicator holders on EBAY for $20 post free, the type with the screw on the side that locks all movements on the two jointed arms, and the mag base at 30mm cubed is half the size of a regular mag base with the straight up centre post and the clumsy adjusting mechanism that they have.

I know that for a fact because I now have one of each and the smaller one is neat and compact.

I'm so impressed with the quality of the small mag base that I'm going to buy a couple more and mount LED lights on them to make spot lights to illuminate areas where the light from the overheads get shadowed......being a small torch with multi LED's and with their own batteries, the LED lights are compact and portable and the mag base will stick to anything ferrous.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by minimum View Post
    Since you have to consider, how to ship out completed (with enclosure) machines anyway, I'd suggest you use same crates to ship enclosures to you and completed machines to your customers because the size shouldn't change much when completing the mills.
    Hi, thank you for your adivse. I think you are correct that maybe I just need to store the same size for SVM-0 with/without enclosure. And ocean shipping actually is not sensitve of volumn for such small cases. I will see. :cheers:
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Page 36 of 184 2634353637384686136