588,015 active members*
7,149 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller & Computer Solutions > Mach3 USB Control Board, no communication to outputs

Question Mach3 USB Control Board, no communication to outputs

Just bought a new USB controller from the BuildyourCNC website after the parallel port on my computer stopped working.

I am having trouble with the outputs on the USB interface board. I am getting no communication between Mach3 and the outputs no matter what I try. I have the ports set to 3 for all the outputs in Mach3. Everything else on the board is working fine, the touch plate, all axis, and the limit switches. I just want to set up the relay to turn the spindle on and off. When I test the outputs with the multi meter I get a constant 0v on output 1 and a constant 24v on outputs 2,3, and 4. Tried a lot of different settings in Mach3 but am unable to get any communication to any of the outputs.

I am running Windows 7 if that matters. Anything else I can try? Is it the board itself?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20240525_071606.jpg   20240525_071615.jpg  

Re: Mach3 USB Control Board, no communication to outputs

The board you are using is not good. It cannot handle discrete signals in real-time. Go with a UC100 or an Ethernet motion controller.

This board could and should work with Mach3. You do need to install the driver to get it working.
    If you follow the description on the site, you should get it working. This board can't do threading on a lathe. It is also possible to replace the firmware with grblHAL.

https://embeddedtronicsblog.wordpres...is-bsmce04-pp/

https://buildyourcnc.com/item/electronicsAndMotors-electronic-component-breakout-Mach3-USB-Board

Quote Originally Posted by hfjbuis View Post
    This board could and should work with Mach3. You do need to install the driver to get it working.
    If you follow the description on the site, you should get it working. This board can't do threading on a lathe. It is also possible to replace the firmware with grblHAL.

https://embeddedtronicsblog.wordpres...is-bsmce04-pp/

https://buildyourcnc.com/item/electronicsAndMotors-electronic-component-breakout-Mach3-USB-Board

Yes obviously the driver was installed.

Everything else is working fine so I don't know why I would replace the firmware with Grbhl

Quote Originally Posted by Rschaeffer83 View Post
    Yes obviously the driver was installed.

Everything else is working fine so I don't know why I would replace the firmware with Grbhl
    I just mentioned it is possible to replace the firmware

I have the ports set to 3 for all the outputs in Mach3
    When I test the outputs with the multi meter I get a constant 0v on output 1 and a constant 24v on outputs 2,3, and 4
    You can't change the board pin layout, this board has a fixed configuration.

If you install the corresponding Mach3 configuration file, it should work out of the box. That is an easy way to check the board is working.
    Follow all instructions in the setup procedure and videos, that should result in a working setup.

Quote Originally Posted by hfjbuis View Post
    I just mentioned it is possible to replace the firmware

You can't change the board pin layout, this board has a fixed configuration.

If you install the corresponding Mach3 configuration file, it should work out of the box. That is an easy way to check the board is working.
    Follow all instructions in the setup procedure and videos, that should result in a working setup.
    I did and it didn't result in a working setup. You don't have to respond if you don't have any tips or things to try. Just saying "It should work" doesn't really help lol

Please be aware that USB interfaces tend to be unreliable.
    The Chinese ones are very unreliable.
    That said, I have no idea why yours is not working. Sorry.
    Cheers
    Roger

Did you check if the spindle output is not disable in Mach3 settings.
    The outputs on that boards are negative I think so if you use config file from the board it should be ok, but check it any way in the settings of Mach3. Is it active low or high.

Disable Spindle Relays was not checked. I tried it with that checked for the hell of it and still nothing.

I tried testing it as active low and active high and didn't get anything. Ov on output 1 and around 24v for outputs 2, 3, and 4. Numbers just stay the same. I'm going to call BuildyourCNC on Tuesday, see if they can send me a new board.

Did you check outputs against positive power pin or negative?
    The schematic shows that outputs have positive output but on the video it’s clearly that outputs are negative…
    Try to check it against positive power pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlod View Post
    Did you check outputs against positive power pin or negative?
    The schematic shows that outputs have positive output but on the video it’s clearly that outputs are negative…
    Try to check it against positive power pin.
    Just tried checking both and still nothing.

Just bought a new USB board from Amazon and the outputs on this board do work. Was able to get the spindle to turn on automatically. Its amazing that the $80 board from buildyourcnc.com did not completely work and the $20 one from Amazon completely works. Buildyourcnc.com was absolutely no help, left several messages and no call back, tried sending an email, email was not in service, tried posting for help on the website and kept getting an error message. So there was absolutely no customer support from them at all. Would love to get a refund for my broken cnc board but I have no way of contacting the company.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240601_082131.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	506175