587,657 active members*
7,030 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > ArtCam Pro > Thermwood GCode Problems with Artcam /Newbie

Thermwood GCode Problems with Artcam /Newbie

So here's the deal:

I'm pretty much brand new on this Thermwood Machine, and am using artcam as my toolpath program. I'm looking to run multiple rounded rectangles out of a 1.5" board of mdf.

My daylight values are not accurate and my spoilboard is screwed to my table board, along with the inability to flycut an uneven table, so i have modified my gcode the artcam produces a bit so i get the results i want. I have the z-shift to adjust for this, along with giving me the ability to aircut to test the program. I've run a couple of test programs and the other day i was cutting a similar program completely fine.

Today i adjusted the toolpaths for a 1.5" board of mdf with a ramp in and 2 passes. I thought i set it up correctly and sent the file to the machine, but when i ran the part, it gets to the line after M31 and just stops dead. Spindle and all. No E-stop, no error message, just stops.

Is there some conflicting code in my file? I've compared it to other files and it seems to be similar, no noticeable differences or wonky commands.

So what's my problem?
    Here are the lines of code leading up to the problem:
    (Program Name-florsheim)
    M999
    G90
    G92X.5Y-12.25 F200
    SET ZSHIFT=3
    T1 M3
    S15000
    (0.500 inches dia. slot drill)
    G00 Z3.0000
    G01 X0.2500 Y12.0000
    M31
    G00 X0.2999 Y1.1397 Z2.0000
    G01 Z0.2500 F200.0

Not sure if you're running an older machine, but on our cs45 we use a fixture offset (g51L1, g52L1 etc) or a fence macro (g901, g902) in the header in order to locate the part away from the tool changer. If the head is in the tool changer safety zone it won't do anything until you move it far enough away. Also check the pop up pins if you have them, if the sensor doesn't make contact the machine will go into e-stop if it travels outside of the tool changer area.

Why can't you flycut the table?

Check the thermwood forums, or call them if you're having any trouble figuring anything out.

I figured out the issue, and it was in the fixture offsets. I was having a problem with editing them, as i didn't know how, but ive figured it out now and am running it with no problems. I changed the G92 to a G52 and the part ran without issue.

I am now able to flycut, i was waiting on some parts to get in, but was also given the order to cut some pieces for a job, so it was a bit stressful figuring it all out.

Thanks for the response!

The G92 would have been an incremental offset and now you have switched to a G52,you are using an absolute offset.I take it you edited out such things as the G44 and G43 from the sample of the program and I would have expected and M02 at the end.
    I would echo the advice to call Thermwood if you have a problem as there is a huge amount of knowledge at the end of the phone line.