587,768 active members*
3,240 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

renco encoder info needed

here's the info site.....I figured mine from this...

http://www.renco.com/106001.htm

red and black are correct

I believe white is A and green is B

yellow is A not and blue is B not ( you won't connect these if you are using step/dir drivers)

I have already gone through this, and posted it in this thread.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...&threadid=3920
    Being outside the square !!!

think you bloy2004 and ynneb found with what you gave me and found some posts over on the gecko yahoo forum im all set really to go

Thanks again for everyones help this is a great forum

sendkeys:
    I got some motors(cheapos) that had the 1024 ppr rencos but couldn't remove them as they sealed the hub to the motor shaft with something like locktight. since I wasn't going to use the motor with that high ppr, I busted, sawed, punched untill I had a zillion pieces of what once was an encoder. Now I can install
    the US digital 250's that I got a while back.
    Note: After destroying the renco, I noticed at that renco site the instructions for removal......which gave sources for the necessary solvent to apply to the hub/shaft to "loosen" or disolve the thin sealant between......

bloy ya i just saw your messages over on the yahoo forum small world Helped me out alot too

now i got to price step multipliers or new encoders

If you are using Rutex cards then you will not need step multipiers since they are built into the card them selves. You can adjusts the multipiers with the onboard switches.
    Being outside the square !!!

What are step multipliers??

Step multiplier means that the control goes more encoder counts per step. I woulda thought that 1024 is plenty low resolution, it's a very common resolution for servomotors. But then again, I haven't really looked that hard at step and direction controllers.

I am looking at some servo motors that come with 1000ppr encoders attached to
    motor. plan to use gecko 340's. are these motors going to work???
    New to the servo world.
    Thanks
    Chas

Quote Originally Posted by chas
    I am looking at some servo motors that come with 1000ppr encoders attached to
    motor. plan to use gecko 340's. are these motors going to work???
    New to the servo world.
    Thanks
    Chas
    Chas, they certainly would work. Let's say that your computer could put out 10000 steps per second. If you are using a 1000ppr encoder, that means you have 4000 steps per rotation, or 10000/4000 = 2 1/2 rotations per second. On my machine, I have 2:1 gearing between the motor and shaft, and 5 tpi, so that means I could go 10000 steps per second/4000 steps per rotation * 1/5 inch per rotation / 2 rev per rev gear ratio = 1/4 inch per second, or 15 inchs per minute. That's too slow. Now with the 340's step multiplier, you could go up to 10 encoder counts per second, or 150 ipm. That may be too fast for your machine, which is ok because you can limit it in software.

Now, my number of steps per second from the computer is a bit low, so you'd have to find out what your computer is capable of and decide how much you wanted to move per step before you set the multiplier.

Again, using my machine as an example, the resolution would be 1/5 inch per rev * 1/2 (rev per rev gear ratio)/(4000 counts per rev) or 0.000025 inch per step with 1x multiplier, which is a little small, so you would probably be happy with the 10x multiplier.