587,686 active members*
3,790 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

archtop guitar

Hey fellows, I'm interested in building a cnc router. I built two archtop guitars and carving the tops and backs takes alot of time and effort.
    My question is: Where can I find adequate plans/packages to build a cnc. I need to be able to cut 17" wide by 24" long.
    Cheapcnc has a nice machine but only cuts 12" wide.
    Also, what is the easiest and cheapest cad/cam software I would need? All this is new to me but very interesting.

Thanks Pookie

This site may be helpful to get you familiar with the building a CNC. It's 4x8' and all cost involved is detailed. Machine is based on Routezilla by JK.

http://home.comcast.net/~machinecnc/...nc_router.html

Regards,
    Stupid questions make me smarter...
    See how smart I've become at www.9w2bsr.com ;-P

Pookie where are you located in La since I have never heard of the town you listed? I bet you never heard of Glenwood either?

If it isn't too far for you come up and I will let you look at my current machine to help you get some ideas of how to lay it out. It is a 5'X9' Digital Tool two head router. Do you have prints for the tops and backs? If so I can help you get a program for it too.

turmite
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Hey Turmite, I live about 60 miles southeast of New Orleans. How far is Glenwood from Shreveport,LA? I have a daughter that lives there. If Glenwood isn't too far, when I go visit her perhaps I could go over to see your machine.
    The only pattern I have are carved out of wood. If i ever can get started in the right direction I thought of trying to have them digitally scanned in 3d. That would save me alot of time and trouble. I don't know anything about cad/cam.

Thanks Pookie

Pookie I am 90 minutes from Texarkana and I think Shreveport is an hr from there. So that would figure out to...let's see not too long! Did you come up with your own plans or have you used another guitar to pattern after?

turmite
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Turmite, I bought a book and some videos on building an archtop from Robert Benedetto, at Benedetto's guitars. I also have a couple of archtops that I patterned off of so I could measure as I go along.
    I think I'll order a set of plans for a machine with hobbycnc. Its designed for a dremel. If I can beef it up a little it could accomadate a trim router.
    I'm planning to go to my daughter next month. I'm trying to go to a guitar show in Dallas around the 20th.
    If I make it that way I'll let you know.
    Thanks Pookie