Login

Are steppers this expensive?

After having the signal generator, drive box and THC repaired by
    torchmate and reinstalling everything I have discovered the z axis
    stepper motor appears to be bad. I called about a new stepper
    and was told it was 750.00. I had no idea these steppers are so
    expensive and is there any alternate way I can go? Thanks

Metalcraft

I don't know what you are running,(I think they must be smoking something) but I don't think that number is correct either, take the 7 off, you should be able to find one to match what you have, from $30 up, Post the spec of what you have
    Mactec54

Thanks for the reply-I don't know the actual specs of the motor only that
    it's small ( I believe 135 once torque made by Smart).

Thats a pretty small motor, I think I paid like 35.00 for a mid torque NEMA 34 that was in that torque range. If it has an encoder assy then it will be a little more, but still not 750.00. There is a data tag on that motor that will state volts and amps as a minimum, then go from there.
    Bob

When I recieved my 2x2 from Torchmate, the gantry (y axis) motor had had the connection plug on the end of the wire pulled off durring shipping. I called Torchmate and they had me remove the motor, send it back and they replaced it with a new one. When I looked at the packaging slip from the new motor it had a price of $250 on it, of course they did not charge me for it.

$750......$250.....wtf.....lol....

it's nuts out there....that's why I build my own stuff!

yes the x & y motors are about 250 from torchmate

however

yes the proprietary motors you buy from torchmate are exactally what their drives & controllers are tuned for, in addition to that, they are in stock & are water resistant (for water tables/milling routers with water coolant)

That being said I had to replace my x-axis motor & balked at the price tag too, when I tracked down something that I thought would work (as a previous responder mentioned) matching amperage voltage & # of steps & frame size I arrived on a water-resistant motor for 75$ + shipping... the problem - no stock & new stock was 4 months down the line, not water resistant? - 45 $, but 2 months to ship, settled on a motor that wasnt water resistant & had the shaft on both ends + I had to wire the new 8-wire motor to a 4-wire setup, not that hard to do.

However #2 - the whole process, taking into account the extra research (think shop-rate x hours taken) I had to do to find a match & re-wire & install ended up being a wash buying direct from torchmate versus doing it on my own. (that being said, if I have to replace one again I know how to do it)

To clear this thread up the 750 motor is a smart motor, which is a servo motor and is the reason why it is so expensive compared to a normal stepper.