587,472 active members*
3,132 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > Co2 Engraver Problems Newbie Here

Co2 Engraver Problems Newbie Here

Ok I just bought a China laser. I got everything set up. The machine turns on. Head moves laser pointer works all is good in that dept. But here is my problem when I try to manually fire the laser nothing happens. I have read people have had problems with the power supply causing this problem. But my power supply is working. The fan comes on and everything. Im at a loss what to do can someone please help me out so I can get this dam thing running. Thanks, Young B

I should add that Im not getting anything to happen around the laser tube. I have good water flow and air flow is good. Like I said before everything powers up fine all servos seem good. All wire connections as far as I can see seem connected well. I just dont get what could possibly be my issue.

Can you see the laser tube, is there any signs of ionization when you test fire ?.

There are safety switches etc. that prevent the laser being fired if a door is open - you could check these operate OK.

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweakie View Post
    Can you see the laser tube, is there any signs of ionization when you test fire ?.

There are safety switches etc. that prevent the laser being fired if a door is open - you could check these operate OK.

Tweakie.

I see nothing happening with the tube when I test fire outside of the water flowing through the center of the tube.

When I press start with the door closed the machine will "dry run" since there is no beam emitting and runs the program. Now when I do this with the door open I do get an alarm and nothing happens.

I think you need to check the HT from the laser power supply but I don't know of any safe way to do this. So I will not make any suggestions. You need professional advise on this.

There is around 18,000 volts for striking the arc followed by around 16,000 volts to maintain the arc. Although the current is very small this voltage can kill.
    Assuming the HT is there then the fault will be with the tube.

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweakie View Post
    I think you need to check the HT from the laser power supply but I don't know of any safe way to do this. So I will not make any suggestions. You need professional advise on this.

There is around 18,000 volts for striking the arc followed by around 16,000 volts to maintain the arc. Although the current is very small this voltage can kill.
    Assuming the HT is there then the fault will be with the tube.

Tweakie.
    Ha Ha I dont think Im ready for that kind of ass whoopin today

Here is a youtube video to kinda see whats going on
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMimffHOHR0"]YouTube- 100_1444.MOV[/nomedia]

In the video I press the laser fire button with the door open. I have also done this with the door closed. I took this video before I figured out there was a switch on the door. If you need a better video let me know I so I can better show you guys whats going on

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBlood View Post
    Ok I just bought a China laser. I got everything set up. The machine turns on. Head moves laser pointer works all is good in that dept. But here is my problem when I try to manually fire the laser nothing happens. I have read people have had problems with the power supply causing this problem. But my power supply is working. The fan comes on and everything. Im at a loss what to do can someone please help me out so I can get this dam thing running. Thanks, Young B

I have to warn you,this may not be safe.But it has worked for me.All the safety switches from the doors to the water safety switch can be bridged if any of them has failed.strip the wires on them and tape them together..But you have to make sure the water is flowing properly before you start up your machine (if you bypass the water safety switch) from now on.