587,308 active members*
3,594 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

breakout board VS FULL kit

Hello I'm newbee in this so I have a question. I have constructed 4 axis cnc and used driver boards with tb6560 chips. but they have one main disadvantge. they get burned very often and if one chip (axis) burn. other axis burn imediatly. so...
    first question is that allways like that? when one burns other axis burn imeditaly? and second question can I evoid this problem using Tb6600 with breakout board? so will this breakout board guarantee that ifone axis gets burned others will work fully?

TB6560
    The TB6560 dirvers are /never/ going to be reliable. Why? Well, I've never seen a TB6560 board that DOESN'T make logic power from motor power. And if you regulate logic power from motor power, there is a slight delay between motor power comming up and logic power comming up. And the datasheet for the TB6560 specifically says:

Power-on Sequence with Control Input Signals
    Turn on VDD. Then, when the VDD voltage has stabilized, turn on VMA/B.
    Hold the control input pins Low while turning on VDD and VMA/B.
    (All the control input pins are internally pulled down.)
    After VDD and VMA/B completely stabilizes at the rated voltages, the RESET and ENABLE pins can be set High.
    If this sequence is not properly followed, the IC may not operate correctly, or the IC and the peripheral parts may be damaged.

You can check that on page 28 of the datasheet:
    http://www.toshiba-components.com/mo...3_20080407.pdf

So what does that mean? It means that every single time you power that driver up, there is a 1 in n chance that it is going to self destruct. Now, n is a pretty big number, based on the people who are using these drivers, but then again, a quick search on CNCZone.com will find you any number of posts like your complaining that the drivers have fried. Those sort of posts make me think that this power on issue is a significant failure source. Notice what they are saying: no motors were connected or disconnected, no changes made to the isolation, etc... These were systems that /were/ working just fine and after nothing more than a power off / power back on, they are suddenly fried.

More information at this post:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/steppe...ips_specs.html

TB6600
    Now, the TB6600 /does/ avoid that problem. On page 28 of the datasheet, it says "IC is not damaged in case the order of turning on the power method is not correct." But the 6600 has it's own problems. It gets hot (the onboard logic power regulator is part of the reason) and needs not only a good heatsink, but also a fan. It doesn't support any mid band resonance compensation, and so may have problems with rapids unless you add mechanical resonance dampers. It only supports 4 over microstepping. And it's hard to find, although that is changing and... it is undoubtedly better than any TB6560 driver!

I would recomend you read this thread, to see the advantages and disadvantages of the TB6600:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/steppe...ba_tb6600.html

THB6064AH
    Of course, I would recommend the THB6064AH which has none of the problems of those drivers and all of the advantages, IF you get a well designed board. But I'm biased, since I sell a kit for this chip. ,o) It does cost more, but if you build the kit, then you can repair a driver if anything goes wrong so your total cost of ownership should be lower in the long run.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)