587,879 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Where/How do we begin? It's overwhelming!

Where/How do we begin? It's overwhelming!

Hi, I am an employee of a used machinery dealer. Up until recently, we have dealt with only non-CNC machines. However, we are starting to get more into that, mainly out of necessity-keep up with the current trends, etc. But we don't even know where to start. The last few CNC machines we have bought (mostly mills) have come out of a customer's place, running just fine. We get them here and they don't run any more. Batteries for the memory are dead. They lost their parameters, they need a new memory board, etc. We do NOT plan to specialize in only 1 type of CNC mill, so does anyone have any ideas???? I mean, just the logistics-which batteries do we check (some have more than 1 kind), how often, how long do they last? Once that is complete, how do we learn how to go from there? Should we concentrate on learning the machining aspect or is it just as important to understand the computer side of it? We are slowly learning & there are so many different things that could be the problem. Any thoughts would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks!

I would make retrofit kits for the exiting machines you have. to make them cnc, and run from a pc.

There are folks that repair CNC machinery breakdowns for a living, You need to hire one. Its such a huge field, you'll never be able to learn it yourself.

Karl

List all of the machines here and offer them to the members of cnczone.com at cut-throat pricing. Or just donate them to us and use the gesture as a tax break.

Problem solved. Glad I could help.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Firstly, you'll need to modify your acquisition strategy. Knowing what little you know now...you've already learned that an excellent machine with bum electronics is not worth much and it's expensive to fix. So, as you acquire additional machinery pay less, consider if you want to be in the fix-it business, if you do then you should look at the retro-fit business. Realize that any CNC machine that's a few years old will most likely need new electronics, so buy at a price that after you retrofit the machine you can still sell it at a profit. Also realize that depending on the retrofit, you might never come close to achieving the performance of the machine when the electronics were new. Also standardize on your retrofit package, and you may find that you've created a new marketplace for your services.....service & maintenance of your retrofits.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayslearning
    Hi, I am an employee of a used machinery dealer. Up until recently, we have dealt with only non-CNC machines. However, we are starting to get more into that, mainly out of necessity-keep up with the current trends, etc. But we don't even know where to start. The last few CNC machines we have bought (mostly mills) have come out of a customer's place, running just fine. We get them here and they don't run any more. Batteries for the memory are dead. They lost their parameters, they need a new memory board, etc.
    One thing I would suggest especially if you are getting into CNC machines, when you buy them, make sure you get the documentation (parameters etc) that go with the machine, I have been to auctions etc, and it never ceases to amaze me that the people there buying do not even bother to take or ask for the documentation, often this can be just as valuable as the price of the machine they are buying, especially the older machines.
    Often it does't not take much to change a set of batteries and reload parameters, but without them the machine is just a chunk of worthless steel.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.