587,997 active members*
1,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Proto Trak PT4-V DPMV5 Proto Trak VM screen issues
Page 1 of 2 12

Proto Trak PT4-V DPMV5 Proto Trak VM screen issues

Hello, thank you for taking the time to read my self inflicted issue. I just started at a new job, and the boss has given me a project to handle.

I am working on a Proto Trak PT4-V DPMV5, the issue I am having is the VM (control unit screen), once Windows 98 SE Embedded launches the screen seems to shift it self so the the bottom that includes the start button and windows bar is in the center of the screen shifting the top of the screen to the bottom. You can move the mouse and access the whole screen, to get to the start button you have to take the mouse down through the bottom of the screen and it reappears at the top of the screen and you can then reach the start button at the center of the screen. So my question/questions is, does this seem like a software or a hardware issue to you folks? Has anyone encountered this, or used this control units/mills before?

I will post some pictures of the issue soon, I am on my work computer right now and the pictures are on my phone.

A couple other things that I can tell you, at least from what I have been told by my boss. He says he recently just dumped a couple grand into boards, or some kind of electronics on the control unit, he said it worked fine once maybe twice and then it started doing this. I have not opened the case up yet, I plan on doing that tonight or tomorrow if I come in. I did notice that a new GOTEK USB input has been installed on the side of the control unit, along with a SD card reader. In that I found what looks like a small USB wireless dongle, I am unsure as to what it holds, I have been unable to look at it yet, and then obviously a SD card is also in the reader, I will also be checking that out.

Thank you everyone for your time, and possible attention/help. Please let me know if there is any information I have not covered that would be helpful for you to help me figure this issue out.

Add-on- Almost forgot to mention, when I entered the BIOS screen, it too had the bottom of the screen in the middle and the top of the screen starting at the middle ending at the bottom. So this makes me lean more towards a hardware issue.
    Thanks folks!

Alma R Webster

Re: Proto Trak PT4-V DPMV5 Proto Trak VM screen issues

...what type of Monitor do you have? Older CRT type will have some adjustment Pots some where.

Hey all, I am still working on this issue, and I have been told that the screen is not the main issue, but it is that the controller cannot find home, so once I get this screen issue taken care of, I shall most likely be asking for some more help. I have been supplied with the manuals for this machine so those will be helpful, thanks for the support guys, and thank you machinehop5 for the response. I shall be getting pictures and more info up soon, sorry, been really busy with other projects recently.

...leave the control power ON 24/7 and see if, the problem disappears....or changes.

DJ

Wink Re: Proto Trak PT4-V DPMV5 Proto Trak VM screen issues

Here are some pictures of what I am dealing with. Now that I've got the screen problem finished; I'm about to diag the "home" issue that I've been told about, have not seen myself.

Were you saying leave the control power on 24/7 for the screen issue? Or the home issue? Is a homing failure common on these machines?

Thank you so much, you are awesome!

Two more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails post 9.jpg   post 10.jpg  

Thumbs up Re: Proto Trak PT4-V DPMV5 Proto Trak VM screen issues

Ok well now something new and old, without the wedding. I am getting an error saying "invalid system disc, replace disk, and press any key". I didn't do anything with the disk, I had the power off when I removed them.
    Here are the screen shots, any ideas? I am going to take it apart again, make sure everything is plugged in.

Unfortunately connecting the loose ground did not fix the screen issue. It is still having the bottom in the middle of the screen. Any ideas and thoughts are greatly appreciated, I just got this job, and I would like to impress my boss, lol.

A hobby of mine is playing with pcb boards (currently building a cnc PCB mill) I am personally a fan of Espressif boards, the Esp32 chip is just phenomenal (blue tooth and Wi-Fi integrated!!!). Ok, back to the issue, I said that just to let you know I am not a newb at this stuff, i just believe in community and smarter not harder, if one of you folks have dealt with something like this, well then, that saves me time and head aches, and impresses the boss, rofl.

Also if you notice on the screen one image at the top it shows that the screen is set at 640x480 18bit, could changing this possibly alleviate the issue? I tried changing it, but when I go to save & exit, a little box at the top appears, but I cannot see any of the selections, so i don't know what to push to confirm the exit & save. Ugh! Never ceases to not throw me down the damn hill when I try excel at the things I do, I just have to look at it as great experience, and something to over come, which is enthralling. Ok, ramble, ramble, It's Friday and the day is almost over.

Thank you folks, so much, I really appreciate you!

Alma R Webster

...looks like the BIOS has reset. Do you have PS/2 Keyboard ? needed to access the BIOS most likely

DJ

Well then, some how the posting that I made from my home on Friday did not post, so I apologise DJ for the delay in response, I really appreciate all the help you have given me so far.

However now I am at work and have to make it quick.

So, 2 things.

1. What makes you think/know that the BIOS has been reset?

2. Any new/other ideas about the screen issue? Now that we know its not a CRT screen? If you notice in the picture of the BIOS screen, the Panel: selection is the sizing choice, I tried changing this, however unfortunately due to the state of the screen currently, once I make a selection the smallest sliver of what I can only imagine is a conformation screen pops up at the top right (center currently) but no words can be seen.

Thank you everyone, especially DJ! Have a good and safe day!

...the BIOS looks reset because the Date show JAN 1, 1999

Try this....with control turned OFF get a PS/2 type plug Keyboard and plug into the PC then, Hold down/tap the DELETE key and power ON the PC then, set the Date/Time with PageUp/Down buttons on the keyboard. Hit F10 key Save and turn OFF for a minute or two.
    then,
    Repeat the above steps and see IF, the Date/Time have remained saved....this will find out if, you need a BIOS Battery replaced before doing trying to fix the HDD bootup problem
    Attachment 494268

Found a Op Manual here
    https://www.southwesternindustries.c...491_manual.pdf

DJ

Hey DJ, thanks for this, I am running into a problem, after I set the date and time, press f10, due to the monitor issue I cannot see what selection I need to make to save and exit BIOS - meaning what key press, all I can see of the confirmation window is a sliver of the bottom. For the life of me I cannot remember what it is for win98 BIOS, would you by chance know which key/s to press to save and exit after pressing f10? Thank you!

...I forgot to say HIT Return/Enter key after F10 to Save...machine should restart (I think) if its a normal pc... post a picture of your Main Board too. Looking for the battery.

Hey there, yea I definitely tried the return key, so I googled the exact bios type and "exit and save" and scowered google images and found that you must push Y for yes and then enter.

And low and behold, the screen is fixed!!! Obviously it held the date and time, strange or at least I didn't realize just updating the time and date would also make the BIOS screen look completely different, but it also put it into the right aspect.

So, now I get pass memory check, then Verifying DMI PoolData, and then starts a repeating "Invalid sysdisk". So that is where I currently am, any observations, ideas? Now that I can read more I can tell you that it is a TIllamook MMX, I can get more info on that if needed.

Thank you so much, now on to the next.....lol

...oh yea...Forgot the Y part to save...lol. Anyway, the display is wortking ...great. Now, I see something about CF drive installed and a USB/floppy replacement....we need to get the pc to bootup on the CF drive....use Auto detect in BIOS

Hey there, yea I definitely tried the return key, so I googled the exact bios type and "exit and save" and scowered google images and found that you must push Y for yes and then enter.

And low and behold, the screen is fixed!!! Obviously it held the date and time, strange or at least I didn't realize just updating the time and date would also make the BIOS screen look completely different, but it also put it into the right aspect.

So, now I get pass memory check, then Verifying DMI PoolData, and then starts a repeating "Invalid sysdisk". So that is where I currently am, any observations, ideas? Now that I can read more I can tell you that it is a TIllamook MMX, I can get more info on that if needed.

Thank you so much, now on to the next.....lol

...I found a Maintenance manual if, you do not have one already
    https://www.southwesternindustries.c...949_Manual.pdf
    On page 34 Chapter 3.3.6 they say this about bootup to Factory HDD

snip...
    When the Computer Module starts the boot-up
    process, look at the 8th line on the Display Screen. If
    the Mother Board of the Computer Module is
    communicating with the Hard Drive you will see
    "Detecting IDE Primary Master … Toshiba
    MK6014MAP". If the Mother Board of the Computer
    Module is not communicating with the Hard Drive you
    will see "Detecting IDE Primary Master … None".
    Also, check the wiring connection between the Hard
    Drive and the Mother Board. See Computer/Pendant
    diagnostics Section 4.3

Red face Re: Proto Trak PT4-V DPMV5 Proto Trak VM screen issues

Thank you for the manual, I do have a version of that, however it is version- 031302, so the one you found is much newer than the one I have, I've found some differences but not too much, so thank you.

This is now the unfortunate part where I am going to be coming in behind someone else and trying to figure out what they did. The original hard drive has been replaced with a SD card reader w/SD card, and where the floppy drive went, a Gotek Floppy emulator, USB with a Sandisk Cruzer Fit in it, that has a small sticker on the bottom with Program typed on it.

Unfortunately I am running into the issue that the PCs here do not have SD card readers, I am going to check out what exactly is on that SanDisk USB. I may swing over to micro center and grab an external SD reader, maybe the boss will even reimburse me, lol, I can always use one anyways, I am an IoT hobbyist, stuff like that never goes to waste. \

Alright DJ, thank you so much for all your help, I shall keep you posted on what I am doing and what is going on.

...do you have any Floppy Disks with machine?.....look in the Electric Cabinet too.

...try this. Go into BIOS, on the Date/Time page, scroll down to C: Drive highlighting Auto...then hit Enter and see if it finds something...if, it does F10...Y...Enter....lol.

Hey DJ, I have not gotten to this yet, but I wanted to say thank you for all the help, and if you are not around to respond I wanted to say, Happy 4th to you!

I really appreciate all the time you have spent helping me. I hope your holiday is fun and relaxing.

Take it easy!

Alma R Webster

Page 1 of 2 12