587,972 active members*
4,256 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Looking for Cheap, Quality CNC router with large Z travel

Looking for Cheap, Quality CNC router with large Z travel

I am looking at buying a CNC router for wood and need some advice on what to buy. I'm a little overwhelmed with the variety of choices and am not sure what to get or where I can get what I need. I don't need alot of XY travel, a 2'x2' or a 2'x4' would be fine, but I would like to have about 12" of Z travel (or even 18" might be nice) which is way more than the traditional 5"-6" that I am seeing on most units. Budget is also an issue as I only have around 3k to spend on everything I need to get the machine running. I have alot of electrical and mechanical experience and probably could build it DIY, but I don't have the time, so I'm looking for either a ready to assemble kit or a finished machine. Also, Im looking at doing alot of 3D surface machining and was thinking about buying Vectric Cut3D. Is that a good choice, or is there a better (cheap) option for 3D surface milling?

Thanks for the help,

Corey

What are you trying to make? Is foam the hardest thing you plan to cut? Most of the inexpensive routers you'll find have low Z axes for a reason - rigidity gets a lot worse for every extra inch of Z travel you add.

Also, if you want to machine deeply into a block, you might find that the length of the tools is a limiting factor. Remember that you not only have to reach the lowest points of your model with the end of your tool, but you can't bang into the edge with the toolholder, and you have to be able to lift out of the cut and traverse to other areas. People often get around these limitations by breaking their models up into manageable slices, and assembling them afterwards.

Just finding a high-quality 2'x2' CNC router for $3k is going to be hard enough...

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

We're looking to jsut cut MDF or regular wood. We're trying to machine positive patterns for molds of gas tanks for dirt bikes and quads. We either need to machine it out of a tall piece or machine it in layers and glue the pieces together. Advice on a ~6-8" model would be appreciated too, but if we could get the extra travel it would save us some work later. As far as tool height goes, the curvatures shouldn't be too extreme so I think I should be good with a tall 3/8" or 1/2" end mill. Any advice is appreciated though.

Thanks,

Corey

These are the ones I'm looking at right now. Any advice/recommendations is appreciated:

Probotix Comet, at $3300 is close to the top of my budget
    FireBall Comet - CNC Router - FireBall Comet

6040 from Carving CNC for ~$2k shipped
    CNC 6040Z-S80(New Version) ROUTER ENGRAVER DRILLING AND MILLING MACHINE - carving-cnc.com

Automation Technology KL4530 $1400+~$600 for 2.2 kW spindle and controller
    CNC Router, Stepper Motor, Servo Motor, Power Supply Automation Technology Inc

Thanks,

Corey

corey

im not an agent any of company...
    i have purchased this year front a chinese.. 4feet by 6 feet.. 6700 was at our house with all fees and shipping.. i have 8 inch Z movement and gap is almost 9 inches under gantry..

what you listed sellers, i think the automation tech or kelinginc what is a deal..

the issue otherwise.. the 24x36 relatively expenses.. because a 48x48 just a little more in price, but that already can handle full sheet material..

from china you can count about 2000 over the machine price.. as custom fee, custom broker and shipping from bonded warehouse to your house.

rigidity... no cnc router so rigid like a machining center.. no matter what brand you buy..
    for mdf sheets virtually any of them works well.. you will grow out a small machine very quickly.. so it worth to wait till you can buy at least a 48x48..