587,189 active members*
3,175 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > x3 missing steps after program runs

x3 missing steps after program runs

I finally have my x3 running but after running a short test program the x axis will be short about 0.100" from the original 0,0 position. I've loosened up gibbs, lubricated everything and taken everything apart to test for resistance.

If I hit tab to open the jog functions in mach 3 i've noticed that the y axis will move at 1% and the x has to have 5%.

Any ideas??

what stepper motor drive are you using?

I have the gecko G540.

The Gecko is running at 112 degrees and motors at 120 degrees. My power supply is running cool because it has it's own fan. Voltage holds at 48.1 to 48.2V DC all the time.

I have tried running different motor tuning to no avail. I feel like it is an electronic problem.

Some details about your stepper motors, how they are driving the screws and the type of screws/nuts would be useful, assuming you really want someone to try to help!?

48V power supply KL-350-48
    KL23H284-35-4B 387 oz-in for the X and Y and
    KL23H2100-50-4B 570 oz-in for the Z.
    from Keling

I have the standard ball screws from cnc fusion.

I just read on yahoo groups that some gecko drives have had this problem, and turning up the step pulse width sometimes helps. I have not tried this yet but will this afternoon.

I was having the same problem in my Z axis. Go into General Config and check the sherline mode. I found a thread on Mach3 forum about it and for whatever reason it fixes the problem.

From my understanding it just increases your pulse width to 40 micro.

Also i guess the guy on the mach boards called gecko and they can't explain why it happens.

I don't really understand why it fixed it, but I'm willing to accept it for what it is and i haven't missed any steps since.

All this is assuming you are using Mach3

I will give that a shot tomorrow. I increased the width to 5 tonight with no change in performance at all. The fact that it only happens in the x axis is throwing my off.

yeah it was only doing in the Z for me. Give it a try. I noticed at first the motors were acting weird so i rebooted mach and they were fine.

quick question before I go changing things again. My 'step low active' is not checked right now. Should it be?