587,700 active members*
3,609 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Jogging Problem

Hi Everyone,

Came up with a weird problem this morning on my 1100 using the tormach controller.

I cannot jog using either the keyboard or the tormach jog shuttle. MDI commands and Ref All work normally. I loaded a short g code program and the XYZ all started moving appropriately.

I have restarted the computer a couple of times, reset and moved the USB cables to different ports on the computer, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Terry

Re: Jogging Problem

Check the HotKey config in Config->HotKeys. Check the Shuttle plug-in in Config->plug-ins. Could be Mach3 whacked its XML config file (it does that sometimes...). There are backups in Mach3/Backups. Pick the latest one, from just BEFORE the problem started, copy it back up to the Mach3 directory, and re-name it to replace the current one. That should restore things.

Regards,
    Ray L.

So, as usual, Ray's advise was spot on. Replacing the XML file fixed the problem.

However, I didn't have any HotKeys configuration file under Config, nor could I find any Backup under Mach3. I suspect this is because I am using the Tormach version of Mach 3. Tormach uses a PCNC3 folder instead of Mach3, but there was no Backups folder there either. Fortunately, for today, I have a backup hard drive with a duplicate of everything and pulled a copy of the XML file made in July from there, and it fixed the problem.

I have found in general that the embedded version of windows used in Tormach's controller has most of the backup/restore functionality stripped out. I think it's time to move on to a more up to date version of Mach 3, but even that won't fix the back issues, unless I'm missing something?

Terry

Ah, the joys of Mach3! You never want to be without a backup XML file, as they will be whacked at random times, and cause the damnedest, most illogical problems.... I would be surprised if Tormachs Mach didn't still keep backup XMLs, just perhaps in a different location. Just in case, you might want to just make a copy of your working XML in the Mach3 directory, so it will be there next time you need it.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Yep, I did a global search on the computer, but couldn't find any other copies of the XML file except ones I had made, which were older than the one I ended using. Definitely started making backups manually.

Thanks again
    Terry

I'm at work and can't verify but the Tormach standard XML should be located on your Tormach Mach DVD.

Mike

Mike,
    I thought the XML file would get modified as you made changes to your Mach 3 setup? That's why I wanted the newest version possible, as Ray mentioned.

Terry

If you are using the Tormach version of Mach3 that they ship with the the mills you won't be able to change most of the configuration parameters in Mach 3 unless you signed off on the waiver with Tormach and unlocked their version. Have you done that or installed a newer version of Mach 3?

Disclaimer: I'm using the Mach3 that Tormach included for install on your own PC and it could be that they've changed things on the Mach3 implementation that they include with their controllers.

Mike

I am using Tormach's version still, the only change I have made is a couple of years ago they put out something to get full screen on the Monitor, and I installed the PCNC Config utility. I don't even know it those two things touch the XML file?

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    I am using Tormach's version still, the only change I have made is a couple of years ago they put out something to get full screen on the Monitor, and I installed the PCNC Config utility. I don't even know it those two things touch the XML file?

Terry
    Sorry, but I don't know the answer to that question, though I'd guess that the PC Config utility does change an XML file.

Mike

Here's some blurb from the Tormach web site regarding the xml file:

The standard approach for others is to provide a basic Mach3 configuration file (XML file), using the generic Mach3 installation provided by Mach3, and redirecting the customer to Mach3 for answers to detailed questions. The generic Mach3 installation includes configurations for a variety of machine times (plasma, mill, lathe, etc) and defaults to a user interface that supports all functions for all machines. It offers an overwhelming variety of features and functions, many of which are simply not relevant to a 3 or 4 axis mill.

At Tormach we take a different approach. We create our own installation program. Our installation installs the custom designed user interface and the Tormach developed XML configuration file. The configuration tools provided by Mach3 offer a staggering array of options, many of which can disable or even damage your machine. Tormach has sealed off the conventional configuration and created a separate configuration tool, a small software program that allows you to do what you might need for configuration without risk. Of course we also allow full configuration control for those who want to dive in deeply.

For guidance on Mach3, other vendors will direct their customers to the generic Mach3 manual (download here). The manual was written by John Prentice. It was written for Mach3 version 1.84 (circa 2006). There have been at least 70 software releases since version 1.84. At this writing Mach3 is in version 3.042.029. John Prentice is still active in working with Mach3, but he is now an employee of Tormach. Our manual is continually improved and enhanced. The code descriptions in our manual have long since been corrected from the 2006 original. We've added both helpful graphics and G code examples. Our installation program also automatically installs all of sample files in the machine controller. You can read a code description in the manual and then run the sample code on your machine. Our manual is comprehensive and combines both machine issues and software issues. It's always available for download and we invite comparison.

The operative phrase is:

Tormach has sealed off the conventional configuration and created a separate configuration tool, a small software program that allows you to do what you might need for configuration without risk.

But it doesn't say how, or if you need, to backup this change to the configuration. Possibly it is in their user manual, if not ask them, then post the answer in this thread.

Phil