587,890 active members*
2,954 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > making copies of the same part using MasterCam V9

making copies of the same part using MasterCam V9

I'm trying to make multiple copies of the same part.
    I'm using Mastercam 9.
    After programming the part I go into Toolpaths "transform" .
    I "translate" and make multiple copies. However..
    When I run the parts it always runs "ALL" of the tools for the "first" part. Then after it finishes the first part it will take the 1st tool and run all the copies then come back and do the second tool etc. How do I get it to run each tool "in order" for all the parts starting with the first copy?

I have a manual tool changer and it's time consuming to run the 1st part then all the copies.

In the transform toolpath options, under "Group NCI output by" select "Operation type"

I tried that but it still runs all the tools (7) for the 1st piece and then runs them 1 at a time for the remaining pieces (4)

Instead of Transforming the tools and toolpaths as a group, transform each toolpath (or rather all toolpaths associated with a single tool) independantly. That way, you get the transformed NCI for each tool in between the tools.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Thanks Psychomill.
    That did the trick. It's a long way around the prpblem but it sure beats changing the tools twice.
    Your my new bestest friend...lol

many thanks...

It's a "long way" after the fact... sure. Can't imagine going through that with 100 tools and a couple thousand toolpaths....

However, it doesn't take nearly as long if you know you're going to Transform the paths like that and you do it while you're programming...

Although, I'm actually thinking there's a way to do what you need by the whole group. I don't transform paths much so I'll look into it.. maybe it was a C-hook.. Of course, maybe it's a different CAM system (I use several)....

Good Luck,
    :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by lookingforhelp1 View Post
    I'm trying to make multiple copies of the same part.
    I'm using Mastercam 9.
    After programming the part I go into Toolpaths "transform" .
    I "translate" and make multiple copies. However..
    When I run the parts it always runs "ALL" of the tools for the "first" part. Then after it finishes the first part it will take the 1st tool and run all the copies then come back and do the second tool etc. How do I get it to run each tool "in order" for all the parts starting with the first copy?
    Simple
    When doing it this way, you have to "GHOST" ( disable posting ) the actual operations and only post the transform ops.
    When verifing, only select the ops you are going to post

Simple
    When doing it this way, you have to "GHOST" ( disable posting ) the actual operations and only post the transform ops.
    The only problem is that you won't get your toolpath for the first part... only the transformed paths.... UNLESS, on the Operation Parameter page, you select "Copy Source Operations" and leave the box checked for "Disable posting in selected source operations". This will turn off posting of your original paths and contain the first part cut into the Transform NCI. (You'll only post the Transform Operation).

Something else I should've mentioned is that I like to transform each tool as a group instead of the entire program. That way, if I edit only a path or paths of one or two tools, I simply only need to regenerate that one tool group. Otherwise, you regeneratee the whole program and I may be in a situation where I don't want to... (cut and paste from there could suck)...

If you uncheck the "Disable posting" button (from the instruction above), it will leave your original toolpaths active for posting instead of 'ghosting' (turning off posting). Just remember to only post the Transform Operation. Otherwise, you'll now get all of the first part up front AND back to back toolpaths of the remaining parts including the first part AGAIN. You can always disable posting from the Operation (Toolpath) Manager by selecting OFF in the posting menu under Options if you want to or if you tend to forget to only post the Transform Operation.