587,647 active members*
3,430 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Fanuc o3p controller rs232

hi everyone, sorry if this is a repeat question but i have just bought an Amada Aries 222 with a fanuc o3p controller. i would like to communicate with this machine via an rs232 cable and i was wondering if any of you would have a pin out diagram? i know it would be easier to buy a cable but ill be honest with you, i can get the bits for nothing at work and i thought it would be a good exercise to make one. any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

This works for me:

DB25M (CNC) <------------> DB9F (PC)

1 <---------(SHIELD)--------- No Connection
    2 <--------------------------> 2
    3 <--------------------------> 3
    7 <--------------------------> 5
    4 & 5 jumped CNC end only
    6, 8, 20 jumped CNC end only

great!! thanks, i'll give it a try

ok, so i've made the lead, belled it out and it's all cool. i connected the machine and the computer. adjusted my DNC settings on the computer to 9600, even, 7, 2, iso, iso, Xon Xoff. but it doesn't seem to work properly. when i load into the machine it sends the first 2 lines of the program and throws an error. when i suck a program out of the machine it says the the file transfer is complete but when i open the file there is nothing in there. can anyone help me??

Quote Originally Posted by kluppy View Post
    ok, so i've made the lead, belled it out and it's all cool. i connected the machine and the computer. adjusted my DNC settings on the computer to 9600, even, 7, 2, iso, iso, Xon Xoff. but it doesn't seem to work properly. when i load into the machine it sends the first 2 lines of the program and throws an error. when i suck a program out of the machine it says the the file transfer is complete but when i open the file there is nothing in there. can anyone help me??
    What error are you getting? If the cable has been made in accordance with the configuration described by Dave and machine parameters are set correctly, with the PC software setting set to match, then you should have no problems.

Purchase a RS232 tester from an electronics store and place it inline with the cable connection. Try sending a program from the machine to the PC and look for activity on the pin 2 led from the machine. If there is activity and you get nothing at the PC, its probable that the PC software is incorrectly configured.

Regards,

Bill

thanks guys, yeah i need to figure out how to check the machine settings. any hints?

Kluppy

You will find pinouts to suit Fanuc in the FAQ of my website - url below

regrads

Les Robbins

EditComm - CNC communication software - Les Robbins CNC Services

Perhaps one of you guys can help me.

I have an Amada Ariess 222 with Amadan 03P control, which I gather is actually a Fanuc in disguise.

Its been in storage for a couple of years, and now refuses to accept any attempts at serial IO. The actual message that pops up when I try it is "Operation Error", which from the manual, is what you get when you try serial IO operations on a machine that is not fitted with the optional SIO ... except ours is fitted, and used to work, so I figure the machine has just suffered a bit of memory loss in storage ... everything else functions just fine though.

So, any clues on how to get to the parameter page etc, I'm sure there will be a self explatory "SIO" or something parameter that just needs flicking from 0 to 1 ...