587,665 active members*
3,220 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > MORE options I want to see Tormach make...

Hybrid View

MORE options I want to see Tormach make...

How about a sliding extension table that allows this mill to machine longer/wider workpieces?

How about a Ram EDM setup?

This one sells for about $1300 USD...with Tormach badge-engineering and QC this could be a great attachment.

C'mon guys...are all of the Tormach users honestly saying they couldn't use accessories like these?

If we don't speak up now, the longer it will take for these ideas to percolate up to Tormach for adding to the development/sale line...

That would be cool, but they are still working on the ATC right now! Lets no bug them, until after they get that worked out!

I like the EDM idea, but would that tear up the table?

A CNC lathe is at the top of my "new Tormach options" list.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by HLF Ordnance View Post
    That would be cool, but they are still working on the ATC right now! Lets no bug them, until after they get that worked out!

I like the EDM idea, but would that tear up the table?
    Perhaps I'm a bit thick, but I didn't think it was 'bugging them' to ask them to make product we want for money...I thought that was business!

Why would EDM tear up the table? Are you planning on burning holes into your table or a workpiece? This is a ram-type setup and there are a number of companies that make similar devices SPECIFICALLY for utilization of a mills axes. I doubt the Chevalier ALIC-1 would have many customers if their product were destroying people's machines...

Tormach had a 5 year lead on their competitors and is slowly ceding ground to them...Novakon is currently also designing their own CNC lathe (at least as far along as Tormach), Syil is really starting to gather momentum with their new offerings and MDA Precision developed a working 5 axis trunnion and they aren't even a MANUFACTURER!

Glacern Machine Tools has a CNC bed-mill and CNC lathe on the backburner waiting for the right economic climate to introduce...this is not the time to be meek for Tormach, this is the time to be bold and invest in their brand if they really believe in it. Growth happens during hard-times NOT easy times...

Quote Originally Posted by 307startup View Post
    Perhaps I'm a bit thick, but I didn't think it was 'bugging them' to ask them to make product we want for money...I thought that was business!

Why would EDM tear up the table? Are you planning on burning holes into your table or a workpiece? This is a ram-type setup and there are a number of companies that make similar devices SPECIFICALLY for utilization of a mills axes. I doubt the Chevalier ALIC-1 would have many customers if their product were destroying people's machines...

Tormach had a 5 year lead on their competitors and is slowly ceding ground to them...Novakon is currently also designing their own CNC lathe (at least as far along as Tormach), Syil is really starting to gather momentum with their new offerings and MDA Precision developed a working 5 axis trunnion and they aren't even a MANUFACTURER!

Glacern Machine Tools has a CNC bed-mill and CNC lathe on the backburner waiting for the right economic climate to introduce...this is not the time to be meek for Tormach, this is the time to be bold and invest in their brand if they really believe in it. Growth happens during hard-times NOT easy times...
    Ram edm my true opinion having two edm's that ram idea looks like crap. Waste of time edms are for under water cutting and for real special work holding real tight parts that ram thing looks like something you should just engrave with tiny cutters and an engraver really am I missing something it looks real cheap and if it really is 1300 bucks then just go buy one tormach needs a lathe the most toolchanger is ok but I dont think alot of people will spend the expensive amount for a tool changer for this small of a machine LATHE nad it wont be a cheap one either. I just dont see even any stepper lathe conversion kits besides tiny ones out there. Trust me edms are expensive and have their place but so does that cheap looking spark tool prove me wrong post a video showing that thing of use for making money compared to a lathe. This is in no way to piss you off just being practical.

You didn't piss me off

I'm not suggesting this sparker will replace a true EDM, but really, how hard is it to plop a plastic tub on the table with 4 magnets in the corners to hold it down and fill it with de-ionized water?

Where I see this being of value is as a spark erosion tool...a sparkdrill if you will. Burning broken studs, screws, bolts and even tooling out of a hole is easier, faster and cheaper than using carbide and indicating on a hole to drill/mill it out. The fact that it could be used with graphite tooling for marking or raised/relieved detail work rather than engraving is a bonus!

Granted, this example is cheap & cheesy looking...what I suggest is having Tormach flesh the idea out, see what's available on the market for re-branding (like they do for some of their other accessories, like the vise, touch probe, etc) and use their proven QC methods to offer an affordable, quality option.

That's what I love about Tormach...bang for the buck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tormachmaster View Post
    Ram edm my true opinion having two edm's that ram idea looks like crap. Waste of time edms are for under water cutting and for real special work holding real tight parts that ram thing looks like something you should just engrave with tiny cutters and an engraver really am I missing something it looks real cheap and if it really is 1300 bucks then just go buy one tormach needs a lathe the most toolchanger is ok but I dont think alot of people will spend the expensive amount for a tool changer for this small of a machine LATHE nad it wont be a cheap one either. I just dont see even any stepper lathe conversion kits besides tiny ones out there. Trust me edms are expensive and have their place but so does that cheap looking spark tool prove me wrong post a video showing that thing of use for making money compared to a lathe. This is in no way to piss you off just being practical.

So how many thousands of $s would you pay for a broken stud removal tool, and how many others would follow. You are of course free to do you own development, manufacturing and marketing. After all how difficult can it be to fit a plastic tub to the table

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by 307startup View Post
    Where I see this being of value is as a spark erosion tool...a sparkdrill if you will. Burning broken studs, screws, bolts and even tooling out of a hole is easier, faster and cheaper than using carbide and indicating on a hole to drill/mill it out.

Two things come to mind that make this a not-too-optimal solution:

1. Setup time: If you're making parts, how long will it take to yank the vise/fixture off the machine, set up the bathtup, burn the hole, and reverse the process? More or less time than to just make another part?

2. Good EDM requires a feedback loop to maintain the proper spark gap to erode the material you want to erode and not burn the part you don't. The way this is done is by measuring the current/voltage in the power unit and increasing or decreasing the Z-axis feed rate to maintain the desired gap. Now, maybe you can use some presets from a table of electrode sizes and materials, but this is going to be open-loop press-and-pray so who knows what you'll get. The more finicky it is, the less useful it is. I'm not an EDM guy though so maybe open-loop would be very usable?

Conversely, you can try to do it right, but Mach can't close a servo loop, so you'll need electronics to control the EDM and tell Mach to speed up or slow down. Or you can switch to EMC, though I don't know if anyone has ever used EMC's servo loop to drive an EDM. I do know that either way will require a lot more engineering than just figuring a way to attach the parts to the machine.

Against all this, I'd say that if you had regular uses for a small sinker EDM, I'd just build a small one to stick in a corner somewhere. You don't need an X or Y axis, just a Z. Then you just take the lid off, throw your part in, and light 'er up. Otherwise, the one or two times you snap a tap in a $400 block of stainless, you might as well go to your friendly EDM shop and give them a Benjamin to fix your oops.

Anyway, I don't say this to be discouraging, only to present the issues that would keep this from being an appealing option for me.

+1 on rotary broaching.

It uses a toolholder that has a slight (like 1deg) cant to the rotational axis that causes the tool to wobble and nibble away as it's driven through the workpiece. It's pretty fast and probably doesn't put much more load on the spindle than plunge milling.

Slater Tools makes a lot of tooling for this. They have holders with 3/4" shanks that look like they might work with TTS if you stuck a collar on them. Pretty spendy IIRC (~$500-$1000?) but made for high production. LittleMachineShop also recently added some no-name ones that are a lot cheaper but the only holders they have are MT or R8 shanks so you'd need a little more work. A TTS-native broach holder at an intermediate price-quality point could be a really nice accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by sansbury View Post
    +1 on rotary broaching.

It uses a toolholder that has a slight (like 1deg) cant to the rotational axis that causes the tool to wobble and nibble away as it's driven through the workpiece. It's pretty fast and probably doesn't put much more load on the spindle than plunge milling.

Slater Tools makes a lot of tooling for this. They have holders with 3/4" shanks that look like they might work with TTS if you stuck a collar on them. Pretty spendy IIRC (~$500-$1000?) but made for high production. LittleMachineShop also recently added some no-name ones that are a lot cheaper but the only holders they have are MT or R8 shanks so you'd need a little more work. A TTS-native broach holder at an intermediate price-quality point could be a really nice accessory.
    Ever see a wiggler broach? I dont know how large they make them but pretty simple and works pretty good for blind holes.

Quote Originally Posted by sansbury View Post
    +1 on rotary broaching.

Slater Tools makes a lot of tooling for this..
    +2 on rotary broaching
    Also check out Polygon Solutions for newer broaching tool designs. Their holder has a vent hole that reduces the load on the spindle.