Hello, first-time poster here.

I’m researching laser cutting for its business potential and have some random beginner questions which I hope you’ll kindly answer. Sorry if they are common questions answered a million times before. If not, great!

1. What options there are in the UK/EU area in terms of a reliable/quality laser cutter brands? I have only had first hand experience with a Just Add Sharks A0 cutter (at London Hackspace) and found several manufacturers online e.g. Trotec, BRM Lasers. Any recommendations from happy users?

2. Are there any CNC trade shows in UK or Europe you're aware of where one absolutely should be at to see major laser cutter brands?

3. Some people recommend buying machines from China. In fact some local brands repackage Chinese machines and sell on (aforementioned JAS being one of them). Are there any major risks of shopping at Alibaba? Similarly, what about buying from the US, where the CNC market seems to be much bigger?

4. Related to the above, how important to you is the availability of manufacturer's support? I'm quite technical and have successfully taken apart and reassembled iPhones and iMacs before but am not sure if I would be willing to spend my time trying to fix the machine instead of calling in an engineer and just looking after my business.

5. I’d be interested in cutting paper/card, acrylic, MDF and plywood up to 18mm. What laser power should I consider? Will I be able to engrave with it?

6. I’m thinking of a bigger machine able to fit a full 2.44 x 1.22m sheets. Are there any downsides of a coverless table cutter? Are they able to extract all the fumes or would it need a separate room with good industrial extraction system? Any other disadvantages of such a big machine apart from the obvious large space it would need?

7. In theory, would average laser cutter be faster than average router at cutting 5,000 (five thousand) 5-10mm holes through 18mm plywood?

8. Is it possible to cut through a material on a rotary attachment (e.g. acrylic cylinder or cardboard tube) or just engrave?

Thanks!
:cheers:
Alex