This build thread/log will show my process of designing and building a custom operator interface panel for my DIY/Home Hobby CNC mill. My desired outcome is to have a dedicated machine mounted control panel to combine the computer, monitor, and hard wired operation switches into a clean and aesthetically pleasing design.

I have seen a couple others make some nice operator control panels and many people seem to like them, but they already seem to get lost in with a long build thread. So this is a dedicated build thread to just the operator control panel.

Some background to start with.
I have a customized Novakon Torus Pro (build thread here http://www.cnczone.com/forums/novako...-software.html), I bought this machine from Novakon as a bare bones machine stripped off all the controls. The only parts left with wires were the limit switches, the spindle motor and the work light. So I started with the equivalent of something like a RF45 with ball screws already mounted. I did this because of time, at the time of purchase I just didn't have the free time to go through with all the mechanical modifications needed to fit all the ball screws.

The current configuration is
-TECO AC Servos from Mach Motion - (these things are great, very simple to use and setup)
-Fanuc 8000 RPM spindle motor - 3HP continuous 5HP overload for 15 minutes
-Hitachi WJ-200-0055LF VFD for the spindle drive
-KFLOP motion controller with KANALOG card allowing for analog control of the drives and closed loop operation
-Automation Direct D0-More PLC for added IO and easier programming of auxiliary functions.
-Jetway Intel Celeron N2930 Quad Core Dual Intel LAN Fanless - HBJC311U93W-2930-B - For the mill computer

Desired features of the operator control panel
-Contain the computer monitor
-Contain the computer case
-Contain switches for the most common used functions; Cycle start, Feed Hold, Stop/Halt, Restart, E-Stop, Main Power Switch, Computer power switch
-Have room for adding more switches or features in the future for example switches for zeroing axes or override switches for coolant and feed rate override control.
-Contain a lower cost HMI (Human Machine Interface) from Automation Direct or Maple Systems.
-Minimize the cabling between the control panel and the main electrical enclosure

I have already got a start on this so I will have a little catch up to do in terms of posts.

-Dan