Hi all!
New here.
I am starting making small stop motion armatures and purchased a Grizzly G0745 - 4" x 6" Micro Metal Lathe and some (being honest) cheap Chinese 8mm carbide tool bits(not inserts).
The lathe goes up to a (said) 3800 RPM.

I've been trying out some 4mm ASTM-A228 Music-Wire with some 8mm carbide tool bits and well... I've learned ... that the whole thing from the rod to the lathe will run hot after awhile (mostly the rods).
Not being to knowledgeable on types of steel, I purchased what a store I know for silicone sells.

After reading a little, it seems that I'd probably be better off grinding myself some HSS bits instead.
I was looking to purchase Stress-proof 1144 steel but was wondering if I was going to the right direction.

I'm having issues turning the small rods to craft ball joint rods. I've had some balls blue out from the heat and (being honest) I've been having better lucky using small files to make the balls rather than carbide bits.
The carbide seems to not be biting in the music wire and its faster and runs less hot to file down a ball shape.

All tips(or redirection) would be highly appreciated.