Picked up a Yaskawa USAGED-09ML21 900w servo for 10 bucks today. It's got an encoder that may or may not have a problem. The encoder is a 8192ppr incremental encoder, and the servo is a 3p 200v AC servo. I plan to run it as the spindle drive motor in a homebuilt mill.

I am planning on getting a DYN4 drive from CNC4PC to run the motor. Since the encoder may or may not have a problem, I am considering replacing the encoder with a similar encoder known to work with the DYN4.

I can probably fix the encoder either way, but if I can't, I have the equipment and training to align the replacement encoder. (Dual and quad trace scopes, and motor dyno.)

Ultimately I think I'll have to run the motor in step/direction mode because I want to have position control and the servo is so much more power dense than the 750W induction motor it will replace.

My Mesa motion control card has a spindle encoder input but only has step/direction and PWM/direction outputs. There is a basic RS485 port supported too but modus support may or may not work yet.

Can the DYN4 driver handle this motor, or do I need to keep looking? Cables are not a problem, I build custom wiring harnesses for work so we have lots of connectors to fit these.