I am looking for methods to raise my workpiece vertically. There is a design flaw in my DIY 5 axis CNC's Z Axis where the spindle sits several inches off of the bed when fully extended and the A Axis is rotated 90 degrees. There is a significant area that is not being exploited because I am limited to how far down I can get the tool tip while at 90 degrees. This poses a problem when I am performing 3+2 machining and milling from the side.

For example, while manufacturing a part I used 3 axis milling on the top, rotate the A Axis 90 degrees, and 3 axis milling from the side. Currently, I will mill from the top, and then I have to build a platform and raise the workpiece to mount on the raised platform and then mill on the side. This is labor intensive, risky, and heavy.

I have mounted parts a scissor lift platform, but that is certainly not the most precise platform as I cannot rid it of a slight wobble.

The only other solution that I have is to build a steel framed bed topped with a spoilboard that raises and lowers by either crank or motor. This way, I can raise and lower without having to remove the workpiece. I have designed the platform and have the components selected. However, before I splurge on the components to build this rig, I would like to know if has anyone else ran into this issue? If so, suggestions/solutions are welcomed.

Also, what would I call this if I were to Google where to buy one?