588,202 active members*
3,939 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Kelly's Machine Tool Warehouse - MD001

Hybrid View

It's been discussed and argued about a million times on this forum, but me personally, I'd prefer a slower machine that is reliable, rather than a really fast machine that faults all the time.

I'd take torque over speed any day.

Your math seems right though.

Lead = 5... I assume that is 5mm or .20" per revolution?
    5mm or roughly 5.08 rev/inch if setting up in standard measure. Always willing to tackle the easy questions LOL.

I have the same machine and may take it cnc someday. Best of luck.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

To clarify the motor I listed from DMM is the most powerfull they list. So while I am not looking for 200ipm rapids it looks like with the math I did I have some overhead in case I need to go to 3.5:1 or 4:1 to get the torque I need.

If they had 800 in-oz I would just get those and not sweat it!
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Ive got the 300w dmms and my friend has the bigger ones with internal gearing. He is really happy with them. So powerful he said he bent his router a bit with them haha.

I was at hui's house last weekend picking up some extra lmit switches and called him with questions a few times and he has always helped.

I used to have an md001 and I would just run the nema 34 1000w motors direct drive. That would be a nice simple setup.

To give you an idea of the minimum required to make the MD001 move, I used (and still am using) the 50oz-in continuous rated Nema 23 servos (350oz-in peak) on the X and Y axis with 4:1 reduction (ie 200 oz-in at the screw neglecting friction loss) and 5mm lead ballscrews form linearmotionbearing2000 on ebay. For the Z axis I started out with the same nema 23 servo and a 5:1 reduction (ie 250 oz-in at the screw). I was able to run it this way for a while but I had to have the acceleration dialed back on the Z, mostly due to tight spots at the top and bottom of the travel. I've since changed to a 119 oz-in (600oz-in peak) and I gained a little bit of acceleration.

Personally the 400w servos are what I'd choose, unless going with direct drive and larger servos can save enough money to pay for themselves (1 belt and 2 pulleys per axis plus additional brackets versus a coupler for direct drive). Looks like the encoder is suitable for direct drive (12 bit accuracy ~ 4000 counts/rev @ .2" rev = 0.00005" )
    Checking out the pricing it looks like it can - the high torque servo & drives are only $48 more than the 400w servos & drives.

Mike

Mike,
    I have been following your conversion. Great job!!!

I have been talking with Mr. Li at DMM and he also agrees that the 400 watt system will work on all 3 axis.

I like the versatility of the belt drive and would rather spend the extra time building it then being locked into the direct drive. The numbers shake out the same anyway.

I plan on ordering them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefinger View Post
    To give you an idea of the minimum required to make the MD001 move, I used (and still am using) the 50oz-in continuous rated Nema 23 servos (350oz-in peak) on the X and Y axis with 4:1 reduction (ie 200 oz-in at the screw neglecting friction loss) and 5mm lead ballscrews form linearmotionbearing2000 on ebay. For the Z axis I started out with the same nema 23 servo and a 5:1 reduction (ie 250 oz-in at the screw). I was able to run it this way for a while but I had to have the acceleration dialed back on the Z, mostly due to tight spots at the top and bottom of the travel. I've since changed to a 119 oz-in (600oz-in peak) and I gained a little bit of acceleration.

Personally the 400w servos are what I'd choose, unless going with direct drive and larger servos can save enough money to pay for themselves (1 belt and 2 pulleys per axis plus additional brackets versus a coupler for direct drive). Looks like the encoder is suitable for direct drive (12 bit accuracy ~ 4000 counts/rev @ .2" rev = 0.00005" )
    Checking out the pricing it looks like it can - the high torque servo & drives are only $48 more than the 400w servos & drives.

Mike
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Kit or just the drives?

I never noticed on your last build if you used his complete kit or just the servos and drives. Are you planning on the complete kit this time or just the drives and servos? I'm just curious about the rest of the parts. I recently ordered some proximity switches from them but have yet to hook them up. They seem quite nice for the price though - hard to beat $10 each for a prox switch.

Looking forward to your build - should be a whole lot easier with your cnc already.

BTW - if your planning on ordering from Linearmotionbearing on ebay - my experience (and a few others) has been that the ballscrews are great (and get the ends machined or at least the drive end) but make your own end supports / bearing blocks - theirs have too many issues to be worth the price.

Mike