587,171 active members*
2,951 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > UK G0704 CLONE CONVERSION & WORKSHOP BUILD
Page 6 of 13 45678
    you don't need the pins and if anything they are limiting as you cannot get the best alignment. my screw hole have .3 mm clearance to allow for fine tuning. but i have never removed them since i mounted them on the machine.

Looks like the UK version of this machine is the same as the Australian version. The one I have, which is sold as a TopTech BF20L, that looks exactly the same as yours.

I have drawn the whole thing in 3D CAD, and comparing to the parts required for the G0704 CNC conversions from Hoss's plans, they seem to be quite different castings to the G0704.

I have found almost every component for the CNC conversion had to be altered to suit my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Hmmm, this is about to get interesting. Just had a break from work (I work from home) to have a look at the saddle a see where everything fits.
    The hole for the X axis nut to fit in is a LOT larger than the G0704's, in fact the ballnut fits in easily, problem is the mount that I got now obviously doesn't work.
    Might be worth having a look underneath your's before stripping it to see if it's the same as mine.
    No need for machining the pocket now but have to try and work out how to get this mounted up with no mill to machine parts....oh the fun 8)

After more fiddling today it also looks like the Y nut mount won't fit either as there's a lot of webbing between the two sides of the base casting that get in the way.
    Hopefully at least the Z may work without any alterations.

Quote Originally Posted by jdurkin View Post
    ........Swings and roundabouts - i guess ill have other issues !!!
    Hi there again jdurkin have a little scan through the similar build threads as your own in the Benchtop Machines forum just to familiarise yourself again as I'm guessing that most issues may have been uncovered by previous CNC conversions
    Eoin

hope I'm not confusing your thread here jdurkin but unless I've misunderstood Rikk's posts I thought I'd clear up a couple of things....

.........problem is the mount that I got now obviously doesn't work.........have to try and work out how to get this mounted up with no mill to machine parts....oh the fun 8......
    I had to dismantle and reassemble my Mill a good few times during the conversion build....and it's not as bad as it sounds you get pretty fast at it after a few times

After more fiddling today it also looks like the Y nut mount won't fit either as there's a lot of webbing between the two sides of the base casting that get in the way.
    Hopefully at least the Z may work without any alterations.
    and Rikk not sure if you know this or not but you will have to get a Ballnut mount machined or make one yourself for all three axis as the Ballnuts are not just a straight replacement for your own mounts and as I haven't used your preferred CNC kit I can't say where your X axis ballscrew's center line will finish when the X axis bearing mounts are assembled...... but most of us have either had to machine the under side of the table to clear the X axis ballnut and or machine the Y saddle to compensate for the larger diameter 16mm ballscrew from the stock 12mm leadscrew.....have a look here for some inspiration and post number 12's pics show the ballnut mount and the machined Y saddlehttp://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...ml#post1024109 hope this helps some....!
    Eoin

It is worth rememebering that you can do this conversion in several passes. You can bootstrap it by making some really simple nut-mounts - think flat plate with holes drilled in it. Then you can use your flimsly CNC conversion to mill some proper ballnut mounts...

Tedisous yes, but if you only have one machine, it might be your only choice. Even a pillar drill with one of those cheesy cross-vices can come in rather handy when your mill is in bits...

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    Hi there again jdurkin have a little scan through the similar build threads as your own in the Benchtop Machines forum just to familiarise yourself again as I'm guessing that most issues may have been uncovered by previous CNC conversions
    Yeh mad welder I agree and have done loads and loads again, im pretty confident realy and reasearch is pouring out my ears... lol
    Ive just got one side of my workshop/garage to drywall and ceiling then my mill is getting stripped as ive got all the mech including ball mounts and just need to buy couplings now.

hope I'm not confusing your thread here jdurkin but unless I've misunderstood Rikk's posts I thought I'd clear up a couple of things....
    Heh dont worry its just good that you and others take the time to offer input.. to me, rikk and anyone else that this thread helps
    cheers

oooooh........ the thoughts of machining in a nice heated plastered/drywall workshop.... humidity levels nonexistent..... machine beds nicely oiled (and the machinist too) no tools gathering rust specks.........

.........a well just slapped myself in the face and woke up

:cheers:
    Eoin

oooooh........ the thoughts of machining in a nice heated plastered/drywall workshop.... humidity levels nonexistent..... machine beds nicely oiled (and the machinist too) no tools gathering rust specks.........

.........a well just slapped myself in the face and woke up
    :cheers:
    From ye comments mad welder I guess yev read through my thread.

Ye thats the idea the a nice warm workshop for the ideal machine environment and also for comfort for me to work in each day.

Im all out on this to get into manufacturing for my business, If all goes well Ill expand and build a bigger shop at the back of my house with a bigger mill.

Its been a tough long road so far but Its in my head to get it right.

How's the project going any progress or is the workshop renovations kinda holding things up? and as you said you're all out to get this right the first time it does take time waiting and some times a bit frustrating when you actually have a bit of spare time to machine/make something and you can't because you are waiting for a part or tooling or stock wasn't available at the supplier..........
    Eoin

How's the project going any progress or is the workshop renovations kinda holding things up? and as you said you're all out to get this right the first time it does take time waiting and some times a bit frustrating when you actually have a bit of spare time to machine/make something and you can't because you are waiting for a part or tooling or stock wasn't available at the supplier..........
    Hello my Irish neighbour - cheers for the interest!

Ye Im kicking myself as I wanted to have my mill stripped this week
    but not there yet - just my ceiling to plasterboard and rubber floor to buy
    to finnish the workshop.

Then on the mill side before I strip will buy my 3 oldam coupling and bits for a one shot oiler.

The main delay if im honest is that Ive had to give my business a big push as it was suffering due to my efforts on the mill / workshop project and import delays on my products. Ive got about another 2 weeks to push the boat out on my business.

So Ive been working my nuts off - the upside is Ive been using my downtime of an evening learning Cad and Cam with Alibre, Cambam (demo) and Cutviewer (demo)
    Im getting better and got a few nice product designs done and cutting in cutviewer. Bit of a brain hurting learning curve at first, even for a web programmer like me but getting to grips now. (god help any newbies with little computer designing skills, its not for the norm this game)

On a side note there a £1 million pot of grant funding for Liverpool small business's and Ive just applied in the range of £10k to £35k
    Dont recon Ill get a slice of the cake but if I do I'll get some pics up of mill number 2 which depending on the offer could be a Tormach or a haas... LOL

Heres to dreaming HEH..............

Yeah the best of luck with that grant application I believe most countries have a budget allowance for small company and or enterprises’ as innovation is the only thing to get the world out of recession.

Good to see you getting around to CAD and Alibre is a really fab CAD software for solid modelling and the part assembly is second to none for the price…but it’s not a surfacing software so you have limitations once you’re aware of that too.

I just had a quick browse at your website, you supply accessories for the audio-visual industry and private use so there’s nothing stopping you from actually machining your own innovative parts or machine moulds for you to produce your own brand of merchandise and if in aluminium you could also anodise them in your new workshop, hence a larger profit margin too…

hope you’re not held up too long and keep us posted with progress pics…
    Eoin

I just had a quick browse at your website, you supply accessories for the audio-visual industry and private use so there’s nothing stopping you from actually machining your own innovative parts or machine moulds for you to produce your own brand of merchandise and if in aluminium you could also anodise them in your new workshop, hence a larger profit margin too…
    pics…
    Thats the idea mate, Ive already got a prototype motorised camera slider made
    Plus a lot or other products ive designed in alibre, if the goverment need to back someone its me!, Ive already taken one 20 year old on who has not had a job since school, if i get funding 2 more will get an opportunity, if not just one in next 12 months

The politicians in this country need to wake up......

Finally plucked up the courage to start cutting down the ballnuts to size. Bought 2 10mm solid carbide cutters for the job. After working with just delrin and ali, having smoke and blue chips is a little off putting but it's going a treat, lots of small cuts.
    Did the feeds n speeds on gwizard and working about 30% below what it recommends is working fine....feeling brave now, pass me a chunk of inconel someone

Finally plucked up the courage to start cutting down the ballnuts to size. Bought 2 10mm solid carbide cutters for the job. After working with just delrin and ali, having smoke and blue chips is a little off putting but it's going a treat, lots of small cuts.
    Did the feeds n speeds on gwizard and working about 30% below what it recommends is working fine....feeling brave now, pass me a chunk of inconel someone
    Good luck Rikk - let us know how you get on

Worked a treat

next one will be quicker now I'm happy taking 1mm cuts.

Do you have the link to the cutters you bought, the link below is not a 10mm cutter?

Cheers

Here you go :-
    http://www.cutweltools.co.uk/files/w...d%20length.pdf

Total was aprox £30 for two with shipping. You'll need to phone them with the order, really nice people.

The whole flat has been smelling of burnt cutting fluid all day...it's rather pleasant 8)

Second one finished, checked the cutter this morning and it has some chunks out of the side where I tried to full depth cuts but 0.3-0.5 width, it much prefured full width but 0.5-1mm DoC. Still ok if I ever need to take lumps out of something hard down the line

Did you need 2 of them to be cut? I thought only the X one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 13 45678