587,704 active members*
3,647 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Ballscrews for G0704 Clone from linearmotionbearings2008 ?
Page 1 of 2 12

Ballscrews for G0704 Clone from linearmotionbearings2008 ?

Has anyone bought machined ballscrews with anti backlash nuts from linearmotionbearings2008 :

items in linearmotionbearings store on eBay!

I have a clone on order from SPG:

SPG TOOLS - Lathes, Mills and Tools for Model Engineers

Can anyone help on which listing is correct for this conversion for CNC
    or will I need to provide the spec to them which I have from Hoss's plan's

They have a lot of listings so if you can point me in the right direction it would be great.

Cheers in advance.

John

I think several people have used them successfuly on these type of machines but the ball nut on them is flanged and I think it often requires some grinding to work in the very limited clearance you have under the table on the X axis. I think the Y and Z will not be an issue, but I couldn't even get the roton nut mount in Hoss's plans to squeeze under there without a good deal of grinding under the table to clear away the mountainous terrian under there. Others have had to do far less.

I know there are a few I have seen convert using the flanged stuff and people seem to say good things for LinearMotion's stuff.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

You contact the seller directly and provide him your specifications and he will then send you an invoice based on your specifications.

Look at the Lazy G0704 build thread. That person purchased his ballscrews from this particular seller.

You will still need to mill the cross slide for the X and mill down the flange shown on another thread here.

Also make custom ballnut mounts for each axis as well.

I've bought quite a few screws off them and they are great to deal with, but I have to admit the packaging leaves a lot to be desired. The last lot I got was 4 drivescrews each wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap, and then taped together every few feet.

Needless to say they arrived fairly straight from what I can tell, but the ends were damaged, which a grinder should take care of, but heaps of small dings and nicks on the outer threads, which I really hope don't affect the nuts?

I did ask quite a few times for them to be really wrapped good as the previous lot arrived the same, and I was assured they would be very well protected, which they weren't. The really, really annoying thing is, if they had've just wrapped them in a second turn of bubble wrap that would have probably been enough top stop any damage, but I guess an extra 3 inches of bubble wrap is too costly?

They are great to deal with, and very, very economical, but I'd say be prepared they may arrive with (hopefully minor) damage or out of alignment.

I'm happy to deal with them again, and although I stressed the wrapping several times, I'll REALLY be VERY strongly stressing the wrapping next time!

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    I've bought quite a few screws off them and they are great to deal with, but I have to admit the packaging leaves a lot to be desired. The last lot I got was 4 drivescrews each wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap, and then taped together every few feet.

Needless to say they arrived fairly straight from what I can tell, but the ends were damaged, which a grinder should take care of, but heaps of small dings and nicks on the outer threads, which I really hope don't affect the nuts?

I did ask quite a few times for them to be really wrapped good as the previous lot arrived the same, and I was assured they would be very well protected, which they weren't. The really, really annoying thing is, if they had've just wrapped them in a second turn of bubble wrap that would have probably been enough top stop any damage, but I guess an extra 3 inches of bubble wrap is too costly?

They are great to deal with, and very, very economical, but I'd say be prepared they may arrive with (hopefully minor) damage or out of alignment.

I'm happy to deal with them again, and although I stressed the wrapping several times, I'll REALLY be VERY strongly stressing the wrapping next time!

cheers,
    Ian

Realy good information thank you,

I got a reply from them and they want the spec which Ill get sent to them after my Mill lands.

If was me at there end Id list on ebay 3 machined screws with anti backlash for G0704 Mills and clones with spec drawings for confirmation on the advert but heh thats just me!!

Hard to beat the price, but mine came all bent up and the machining wasn't that accurate. The ball nuts and - if you buy them the mounts are huge generally requiring a lot of grinding and fitting. Their packaging is hopeless. No protection at all. I guess if you want what are supposed to be precision components all beat up and bent when you get them new, well, you get what you get I guess. Probably better to get take offs from real machines on fleabay.

FWIW, that is where I got mine from. Mine were packaged fine and his end machining matched the specs I sent him exactly. My only complaint was that the set screws in the lock nuts he sells are pretty soft and strip out easy. I replaced them with some set screws from McMaster.

you obviously did not search spg in the zone or you would have found my build.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...g_machine.html

there is plenty of room under there if you mount the nut my way. you just have to grind some of the flange away.

Quote Originally Posted by jdurkin View Post
    Realy good information thank you,

I got a reply from them and they want the spec which Ill get sent to them after my Mill lands.

If was me at there end Id list on ebay 3 machined screws with anti backlash for G0704 Mills and clones with spec drawings for confirmation on the advert but heh thats just me!!
    why would they do that? not all screws will be the same just because they are being used for a G0704. it all depends on how the mounts are made which will affect how the ends need to be machined

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy0203 View Post
    why would they do that? not all screws will be the same just because they are being used for a G0704. it all depends on how the mounts are made which will affect how the ends need to be machined
    Agree yeh, however:

They sell with mounts - so no problem on that advert.

Plus all I was pointing out was that "if it was me"
    Id make listings advertised for a specific use, eg G0704 Conversion.
    with specs on advert and rightly what you said over ends
    could have options for this.

Anyway again "if it was me" I know Id have a way of better marketing
    with my adverts guiding customers better.

(no disrespect but discussions of this mindset is too non productive for me kiddo)

Have a great Xmas

they dont really care about machine conversions, they just sell screws and leave it up to customers to tell them what they need.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy0203 View Post
    they dont really care about machine conversions, they just sell screws and leave it up to customers to tell them what they need.
    Fair doos........

Received my machined ballscrews today. They where packaged well enough. Bubble wrapped covered each end. Packaging was tight and no sliding parts.

Took 2 weeks. 12 business day including the holiday.

Measured each ball screw and they are on the mark.

Only problem I have is with the X Axis ball screw ball nut. it does not spin freely like the other two Axis.

The white ring around the ball nut doesn't appear to be inserted correctly compared to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Signal9 View Post
    Received my machined ballscrews today. They where packaged well enough. Bubble wrapped covered each end. Packaging was tight and no sliding parts.

Took 2 weeks. 12 business day including the holiday.

Measured each ball screw and they are on the mark.

Only problem I have is with the X Axis ball screw ball nut. it does not spin freely like the other two Axis.

The white ring around the ball nut doesn't appear to be inserted correctly compared to the others.

Good feedback, cheers

Whats ye thoughts on the X ?

Will it be fine?

Plus can you post pics of your progress at all on this?

Thanks
    John

one of mine were like that as well. it didnt bind or wasnt hard to turn, just didnt spin freely like the others. ive had no problems using it thus far.

Just make shure you supply the specs on the screws before you order..... I did not.

I sendt him a price request on ebay where i just supplyed the lenght and that i wanted the ends machined. After i received the total and paid it i sendt him a pdf-file containing the drawings of all three screws. I never got any reply on my mail and today the screws arrived in the mail. The only thing correct was the lenght, none of the macining was done to my specs..... So now I don`t know what to do, I probably will have to modify the screws and the rest of my hardware so it will fit my mill.....

Quote Originally Posted by CncNor View Post
    Just make shure you supply the specs on the screws before you order..... I did not.

I sendt him a price request on ebay where i just supplyed the lenght and that i wanted the ends machined. After i received the total and paid it i sendt him a pdf-file containing the drawings of all three screws. I never got any reply on my mail and today the screws arrived in the mail. The only thing correct was the lenght, none of the macining was done to my specs..... So now I don`t know what to do, I probably will have to modify the screws and the rest of my hardware so it will fit my mill.....
    You would have thought they would have asked you?
    Thats hard luck that mate - what a bummer!!!

I'd certainly at least start by letting him know of the machining problem, and then take it from there. I must admit I'm really unhappy with the crappy wrapping on my orders so far, as I want to order some more but it really puts me off. I'll probably order more, but I'll definately be letting them know I will expect them a little better wrapped so they don't arrive damaged like all the previous ones.

Don't forget to post how you go with dealing with them, it all helps others!

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

yeah im curious as to what they thought when they went to do the order and were like hmmm the customer wants the ends machined but we have no specs so lets just do some random machining on them lol. perhaps you could sell those ones for cheap and maybe the will redo them again for you for cheap and the money you made will offset the cost of getting new ones.

if i didnt hate trying to machine hardened stuff so much id prob give you some money for one of them to try to make my lathes x axis

Well, I have sendt them a mail explaining what was wrong so I will see what they respond....

Luckily all of the machining was done wrong in such a way that they still can be machined to my specs. I have access to a brand new, very big lathe so i guess i will do the finale machining my self.

Page 1 of 2 12