588,076 active members*
5,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G3 1650 excessive dross

Jim,

Here is a question for you. The material is 1/4" mild steel. I cut this using 60A consumables. Air pressure is correct.

What is causing this excessive build up? Is happens on straight as well as
    circular cuts?

I bought this machine new in April of 2003. S/N 59266 1650-000666

Jim, as the components in this machine age/wear will I see any signs of decreased cutting performance? Or will it just stop cutting "cold turkey" so-to-speak. This machine has had two boards replaced, under Hypertherm's excellent warranty I might add too.

This machine has performed solidly since new outside of these two board issues. The 1650 had just been introduced so this machine was relatively new I was told??

Thanks,

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1040167.JPG   P1040168.JPG   P1040169.JPG  

Hey Tom, been watching your post for a few days. It looks like a low speed dross. The cuts themselves look good. Is it possible your machine is not running the actual speed listed in the code? I found that inadvertantly when we changed over to our new system. Our old system was not actually running the speeds it was told too. The new system has almost no dross when cutting at book speeds were as the old looked like your cuts, lots of dross but to be fair the cuts were nice, just lots of extra clean up. I thought that was the way it was supposed to be! LOL

Can you do a speed test to see if it has somehow got out of whack, maybe binding up somewhere?

2cents worth.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Tom,

I'm not sure if I could produce a cut with that much dross if I intentionally tried to!

If you had provided a ggod closeup of the actual cut edge with the dross chipped away I could probably answer with better accuracy.....but it certainly appears to me that you are cutting at a speed that is far too slow.

If you are using the consumables listed for your Powermax1650 for 60 Amp mechanized cutting (make sure you are using the 120930 shield).....and you are piercing at the about twice the recommended cut height (pierce height .12", cut height .06", pierce delay time of .25 seconds) then the cut speed should be at least 86 inches per minute.....with a maximum speed of 132 inches per minute.

Cutting at 86ipm will give the best edge squareness......but possible some light, easy to remove dross.....increasing the speed will minimize the dross, but add a little edge angularity.

If you are following the specs exactly....and are getting the results shown....then you could have an issue with either a restriction or a leak somewhere in the torch or torch leads ......although this will affect the edge appearance (that is why I would need to see edge quality up close). Could be a loose fitting....damaged torch lead or a missing torch oring.....or a defective or worn out swirl ring or retaining cap....assuming you are using all of the correct, Hyperthermbrand consumables just as the operators manual suggests.

There is nothing that deteriorates in the plasma system under normal conditions that cannot be repaired or replaced. Most usually the issues are with incorrect settings....or with an air leak or restriction issue when cut quality is bad.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaGuy View Post
    Jim,

Here is a question for you. The material is 1/4" mild steel. I cut this using 60A consumables. Air pressure is correct.

What is causing this excessive build up? Is happens on straight as well as
    circular cuts?

I bought this machine new in April of 2003. S/N 59266 1650-000666

Jim, as the components in this machine age/wear will I see any signs of decreased cutting performance? Or will it just stop cutting "cold turkey" so-to-speak. This machine has had two boards replaced, under Hypertherm's excellent warranty I might add too.

This machine has performed solidly since new outside of these two board issues. The 1650 had just been introduced so this machine was relatively new I was told??

Thanks,

Tom

Jim,

I will post more close up pictures.

Thanks,

Tom