587,173 active members*
3,767 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > UK G0704 CLONE CONVERSION & WORKSHOP BUILD
Page 7 of 13 56789
    Mines an original Optimum BF20L and it has webbing(braces) going across the base under the Y axis so that nut also needs to be cut, may need to trim a little webbing as well, we'll see.
    On the clones they've left that off presumably to save money so you only need to cut the X axis nut down.

I'm curious here guy’s….are there two separate builds ongoing in this thread? or are Rikk and jdurkin working on the same build?
    Eoin

Just a bit of mutual aid, JD's doing his and I'm just chipping in bits and bobs I find while doing mine that may help him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Second one finished, checked the cutter this morning and it has some chunks out of the side where I tried to full depth cuts but 0.3-0.5 width, it much prefured full width but 0.5-1mm DoC. Still ok if I ever need to take lumps out of something hard down the line

Looking at you photo again. Did you have hard time to clean the metal off the screw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each end was sealed off with plasticine, I used a small brush and a hoover which got rid of 90% of it, airblast to clean most of the rest then removed the plasticine followed by wd40 and a rag.

Each end was sealed off with plasticine, I used a small brush and a hoover which got rid of 90% of it, airblast to clean most of the rest then removed the plasticine followed by wd40 and a rag.
    Quoted you here rikk as would be nice if you or anyone else can input here!

Quick update chaps:
    Finally made the first step on actual mill conversion.

Got a 10mm carbide mill and started cutting down the X axis Nut for clearance - gone quite well but down to the head of the grub screw now on the nut and see I need to cut further.

Before I continue can anyone offer info on this grub screw on the nut as it looks like ill be taking this down too?

Hope this makes sense?

It just helps to hold the plastic bung in the end, I took the offending one out filled the hole with plasticene and carried on, just get a smaller grub screw to go back in or cut the old one down.

It just helps to hold the plastic bung in the end, I took the offending one out filled the hole with plasticene and carried on, just get a smaller grub screw to go back in or cut the old one down.
    Thanks for the quick reply rikk
    Back to some sparks :boxing:

Hehe, have a check of the cutting edges when your done, think I overdone it on the first one and it chipped a couple of the edges. Second one I was a little more considerate

Ye Rikk I will. If im honest Ive done the cutting at a snails pace in DOC's

Shoulder of the Nut done and will take a slither off the barrell tomorrow.
    Not sure if I need to much but will do anyway, then a strip down of the mill.

Quote Originally Posted by jdurkin View Post
    Before I continue can anyone offer info on this grub screw on the nut as it looks like ill be taking this down too?

The Grub screw can be replaced with the fitting for oiling the ballscrew, and as far as I know the nylon thread wipers are held in place with two tiny pins.
    Eoin

The build Starts

First Off Cheers Rikk & Mad Welder for making me not feel lonely on my thread :violin:

Went down Rikk's route and cut the X Axis Nut with a 10mm Carbide Bit - Cheers Rikk, and I know it may have looked like a Highjack on my thread U posting your progress, but because you did it was a great help so feel free as a bird to post your updates here mate as its a great help

Anyway finnished the cut on the X Axis Nut for clearance, done a few measurments under the X Sadle and hopefully have taken enough off the nut to clear the underside.

Heres the pic:

Heres the cutter in the mill in a Tormach TTS Holder:

And for good measure here is a pic of all the screws and mounts as I know everyone like pics as they speak a thousand words:

Next up to strip the X and Y axis and make clearance on the X for the nut
    and get my head around a one shot oiler system

Looking good so far!

Quote Originally Posted by digits View Post
    Looking good so far!
    Cheers Digits - Good to have support and the icing on the cake is from guys this side of the pond - even though its nothing to brag about with the way the Government are fookin the UK up as time moves on (just my rant there)

Oh yeh by the way dont forget UK chaps fill ye car tanks up and get as many 2 litre lemonade bottles filled up with petrol - and if ye dont have a gararge to store them in - behind the couch will do...............:withstupi

Cheers Digits - Good to have support and the icing on the cake is from guys this side of the pond - even though its nothing to brag about with the way the Government are fookin the UK up as time moves on (just my rant there)

Oh yeh by the way dont forget UK chaps fill ye car tanks up and get as many 2 litre lemonade bottles filled up with petrol - and if ye dont have a gararge to store them in - behind the couch will do...............:withstupi
    Well, if you take them at their words - as they now support British manufacturing and have made planning easier, it should be possible for us to all build 40x40ft workshops/sheds on nearby fields

Some folk are using gold to hedge against all The West's money printing - I prefer iron and carbide myself

The build Starts.......And for good measure here is a pic of all the screws and mounts as I know everyone like pics as they speak a thousand words
    At last you're progressing......and thanks for sharing the pics and keep them flowing........I see in one pic and you mention the Tormach, (remind me and educate me), is your spindle an R8? and is the Tormach you have an Automatic Tool Changer (ATC) method?
    Eoin

Quote Originally Posted by digits View Post
    Well, if you take them at their words - as they now support British manufacturing and have made planning easier, it should be possible for us to all build 40x40ft workshops/sheds on nearby fields

Some folk are using gold to hedge against all The West's money printing - I prefer iron and carbide myself
    Well Digits lets see if they realy do want to support British manufacturing.
    Theres a 1 Million Pound Grant in the pot for Liverpool Business's and Ive applied for £10K to £35k with the understanding Ill make a current part time 20 year old working for me - Full Time and employ a further 2 more young people who get identified as people who just need that chance from someone.
    All fund will be spent on machinary, IT and software.
    If I dont get an Interview on this Grant - I Give up

Heres the last email:
    Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your recent application for the Liverpool Echo Business Booster Fund. Your application was received as is currently being assessed by an independent panel of experts. You will be notified within the next 2 weeks of their decision.

Please note the Liverpool City Council is providing administrative support on the behalf of the Liverpool Echo. All decisions will be made by an independent panel of experts.

Regards

Programmes Team

Liverpool City Council

Regeneration

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    At last you're progressing......and thanks for sharing the pics and keep them flowing........I see in one pic and you mention the Tormach, (remind me and educate me), is your spindle an R8? and is the Tormach you have an Automatic Tool Changer (ATC) method?
    Cheers Mad Welder.

Tormach (I dont own a Tormach - just Tooling)- Yes tormach uses R8 and I bought my Mill with R8 and thats the exact reason for my choice of spindle so I could use there tooling.
    As ive chosen R8 a future Power Draw bar for quick change is perfect
    and yes a ATC is the future goal.

Note though if ye look carefully at my pic in lower post of the TTS 10mm quick change tool theres no groove for a ATC (see attached pic for grooved one)
    I bought a few from Little Machine Shop in the US and when landed all had the groove for a ATC but the 10mm one never, I emailed them and they had shipped the old one without it and refunded me for this one.

Checkout all this guys Vids as this is a great insight into Tormach and what pricked my ears up about TTS - watch every chapter (click vid twice to goto the rest):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwH_EJXBtzo&feature=plcp&context=C428069bV DvjVQa1PpcFNjK7kY4Iu2jHovjA5YWpBr4ZDKK8L2cfc=]Tormach PCNC 1100 - First boxes have arrived! Ch. 3 - YouTube[/ame]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 31824-TTS-12mm-Set-Screw-End-Mill-Holder-FRONT.jpg  

OH yeh Mad Welder:

The big plus on Tormach TTS Tooling is that you have all your End Mills, Drill bits ect in there own Holder and each numbered for reference.
    Each height is measured and inputted into the software side (cam, mach)

So when your milling and need to change a tool from end mill to end mill and to drill and tap etc on the same piece of work - its just pull out the tool - bang another in and no need to '0' the Z

Im a newbie mate and yed run rings around me but the above is what Ive digested.........

Wink

........Im a newbie mate and yed run rings around me but the above is what Ive digested.........

thanks for the compliment but I’m also a newbie too as you know and that’s what we’re all here for to share info but so does this mean you fit each end mill (or any other tooling) into a different TTS holder and therefore need lots of TTS’s? that sounds kinda expensive no?
    Eoin

Page 7 of 13 56789