587,698 active members*
3,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: ATC Slide

Hybrid View

Great Work, Richard !!!

Now that you have the ATC up and running a while - is there anything that you would change or do differently ?

Nice work, really impressive in fact.

Thanks for posting the blog!
    www.CNC-Joe.com
    CNC Is Not Just My Passion.. It's My Addiction !!!!

Thanks for the complements. Yes, I would and am changing three things.
    1) I have to install the PMDX slot sensor. For no other reason than I like it better.

2) After a crash due to my dumb butt showing off the machine after too many cold beers, I warped the large disc that all my forks bolted to. For a temporary fix, I installed 3 set screws so I could perfectly dial in the toll holder forks to the same exact height.

I will be rebuilding the hub and disc, making the hub much larger and incorporating the leveling screws in there. I'm thinking about using some strong compression springs to mate the disc to the ATC spindle hub in case something were to happen again.

3) My cover was way too heavy. I need to make a new one out of some thin gauge stainless. It shook the entire mill when the ATC came to the end of it's stroke. Without the cover it is smooth and fine so making one lighter will fix that. I think my old cover was 11# or 12# if I remember correctly.

I had Mach fumble a tool length a few weeks ago and center drill my nice Glacern vise jaw !!! I was pissed, but at least it was it's jaw. I figured out what caused it. Mach doesn't properly use tool length offsets when manually entering the tool number into the box. If you do a M6 T? then it seems to work everytime that I can tell. But using the Tool Entry DRO, it tends to miss it sometimes.

It's been running fine. I hadn't had too much time on it lately since I've been fixing/rebuilding hay equipment and doing some cutting and baling.

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Joe View Post
    Great Work, Richard !!!

Now that you have the ATC up and running a while - is there anything that you would change or do differently ?

Nice work, really impressive in fact.

Thanks for posting the blog!