587,699 active members*
3,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Maybe there are processes in the background running and using up CPU time? Ctrl+Alt+Del to open Task Manager then click the "processes" tab then the CPU column to sort it and see whats running much or even at all above 0%.

"clicking" reminds me of a busy computer when trying to run my TAIG with Mach3.

I tried using a pulse width of 10us and kernal at 25k but it did not help. I also reran the driver test and was able to go all the way up to 100k without any problems. I don't think there is anything running on the PC that would cause slowdowns. It was a fresh install and I did all of the PC setup tips from Mach.

A long shot

Chris,
    I know this is a long shot but I found this problem a few years after I had gutted an older computer. This computer developed a mind of its own and would shut down on its own, just die. I pulled the power supply to make a bench power supply and when I opened it, I noticed the capacitors had ruptured and were leaking. Quick Google search and I found out about the cap problems on some of the older power supplies. Only certain years were an issue but that computer started doing some crazy things.
    Might want to google power supply capacitor leaking and see if your power supply for the computer might be dropping out somewhere. Maybe not the main power but one of the lesser volt supplies might be dropping somewhere causing the train to slow down.

Might want to see if your CNC power supply is drooping under load as well. Since there hasn't been any new post I figure people are out of suggestions. The motor soulds like it is stalling out like you said and I wonder if voltage is an issue.
    I just got my first cnc project so I will be dipping a toe into the great world of cnc. Nice big router table needing new electronics.

Chris

FOUND IT!!!

I talked to Automation Technologies this week and they suggested I try setting the drivers to 1/8 stepping. That did seem to help either.

This mornign I looked at the PC and went through the XP Optimization document one more time. There was a section about ACPI. I tried setting the computer to "Standard" from "ACPI" and suddently the glitches were gone. :cheers:

Here's a video of the machine at 300IPM:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od9Pr1nlmnQ]G0704 steppers at 300 inches per minute - YouTube[/ame]

I'm waiting on CNC Fusion to send me a new Z screw and mount so that I can finish assembling the machine. I also received my treadmill motor this week, so I'll start looking at how to mount it up.

Chris

I'm still waiting to get my new Z screw and mount from CNC Fusion. It was supposed to ship on Wednesday, but they haven't sent me the tracking number yet.

I decided to put the column and head back on the machine. After some tinkering I got the head trammed. I'm dying to make some parts on this thing and I have the oiler mount drawn up, so I'm going to try cutting it 2D with manual Z moves this weekend.

I needed a chamfer mill so I stopped by the tool shop this morning. I've been wanting to try an aluminum specific end mill so while I was there I picked up a "Best Carbide" 3/8 3F 45 degree EM. We'll see how it works out.

It's supposed to rain all weekend here, so I'll have plenty of time to tinker in the shop.

Chris