587,611 active members*
4,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Surface Projecting

Hybrid View

Surface Projecting

I am trying to put a surface projection of a checkering pattern on a radius surface.

For some reason I can't get it to cut properly.

I no I am doing something wrong, but late Sunday night I can't seem to figure it out.

Its a surface rough project and it doesn't seem to follow the radius of the part.

Attached is the file. Its not anything other then a test part, so no dimensions mean anything.

Thanks in advance.

Well I tried to attach the file. A MCX5 file. But I am not doing it right.

So for starters any input on how to attach it ?

Thanks again

Well I figured out a way to project ( xform project onto surface ) the checker pattern onto the surface and then engrave it that way. But I thought I could finish surface project something onto a curved surface as well?

Lines projected onto a surface do not alter the surface, thus, nothing to cut in surfacing operation.

I think I understand what your saying. If I am attempting to engrave or cut these, using a surface finish project will not penetrate the surface. Surface finish project would only be good for embossing something ?

Messing around I set the stock to leave at a negative number to get it to cut at a depth when using surface finish project. Does that seem feasible to do? I haven't physically cut something only simulated through MCX5.

Now doing a xform surface project and then doing a contour over the top I get the cut and have better control of the depth of cut as well it seems.

Thanks

Yes, embossing or engrave as you have experienced. You can however, use your projected curves to sweep in other surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by g29cc View Post
    Messing around I set the stock to leave at a negative number to get it to cut at a depth when using surface finish project. Does that seem feasible to do? I haven't physically cut something only simulated through MCX5.

Now doing a xform surface project and then doing a contour over the top I get the cut and have better control of the depth of cut as well it seems.
    Surface project is the way to do it.
    the wireframe geometry controls the X-Y position of the tool axis, where the depth is controlled by the contact point of the tool on that surface. The drive offset controls the contact point's position from the surface

your tool should be accurately defined

The downside of using the Xform project onto the surface is, the depth is controlled by the actual geometry, not the contact point of the tool onto the surface
    ie
    --- if you have a cylinder, and a curve lies across it, if your toolpath is a 3D_Contour, depth is set to zero, then the tool is going to just touch the crest, but the tool is 1/2 into the cylinder on the sides----the error can be ignored if you have a larger or flatter surface & the area to be machined is not too far around the curvature
    ----- a variant to program this way is to offset the curve away from the surface, & set the length comp thru the tool centre---not the tool tip
    --- remember that you cannot have a tool that has a combination of these settings ( tooltip /tool centre) in the same program

You can have a -ive offset for the drive surface, or you could offset the surface inwards and use a zero offset for the drive comp.

You should also check out the samples that were loaded at installation, \\samples\mill\surfacing ... there is a session that shows a world map being project engraved onto a sphere..... I think is is in the c:\ProgramFiles\McamX5\documentation area......if not, try searching for the samples directory