587,997 active members*
2,006 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Anyone mount their SPID in electronics box?
Page 1 of 3 123

Anyone mount their SPID in electronics box?

Hello all,

I was thinking it would make less clutter to mount the Super PID in the electronics box along with the power supply and Gecko 540.

Anyone doing this?

TIA

Rick

Rick, i am mounting it inside my electronics box, and moving the LCD to the front of the box as see in my build log in my sig.

havent had chance to get everything up and running... but hope to get it done soon...
    my first..."Big Ape" CNCRP 2448 Build Log

One I installed for a friend I cut out the panel for the display and mounted a Display Bezel from DigiKey, and mounted the whole board with four screws and nylon standoffs in the holes at the corner of the board.
    If you cut the hole just right, you could get away without the bezel.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

That's what I was looking for Al (Kinghong1970). This is pretty close to what I had in mind. It would make it easier mounting the display, by separating the SPID LCD from the main board.

Do I recall Roman cautioning about separating the LCD from the board?

Thanks.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    Rick, i am mounting it inside my electronics box, and moving the LCD to the front of the box as see in my build log in my sig.

havent had chance to get everything up and running... but hope to get it done soon...
    I've been trying to figure out how to do the same thing but can't figure out the cable situation. What are you using for cable and ends to connect the screen to the PID?

Quote Originally Posted by RicknBeachcrest View Post
    That's what I was looking for Al (Kinghong1970). This is pretty close to what I had in mind. It would make it easier mounting the display, by separating the SPID LCD from the main board.

Do I recall Roman cautioning about separating the LCD from the board?

Thanks.
    Rick
    I also recall roman cautioning about LCD distance from Board... but iirc, in that LoooOOOoOooOoOooOOoOoong thread, i saw someone who did successfully install lcd apart using a ribbon cable or something like that...

rest is crimping and soldering connectors...

Quote Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
    I've been trying to figure out how to do the same thing but can't figure out the cable situation. What are you using for cable and ends to connect the screen to the PID?
    well, for cable, i have lucked out... i honestly dreaded having to solder such small connectors... crimping is easy, but anywhoo... i was at radioshack and near the adruino section, they sold packs of cables, pre-terminated both ends with female connectors and used those with male-male thingy to make the connection... the lcd works, my distance tween the LCD and board is about 3" to 4" at max.

sorry for my lack of professional terms... what do i know about electronics, i design clothes for a living... lol... (and probably use my cncrp to make patterns and cut fabric... lol?)

i'll try to take a pic later when at home and post here... also, if i have radio shack packaging, i'll take a pic as well.

Have you checked out Digikey?
    http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/CA2011/P0076.pdf
    Or use standard ribbon cable.
    If you intend installing the display on the front panel, I still think it easier to put the whole unit on the panel as i did?
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Have you checked out Digikey?
    http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/CA2011/P0076.pdf
    Or use standard ribbon cable.
    If you intend installing the display on the front panel, I still think it easier to put the whole unit on the panel as i did?
    Al.

Those look really neat! Thanks for tracking those down, I was having a heck of a time finding the 16X1 cable headers. Now to check the pin spacing on the SPID to see if they are compatible.........

The problem with mounting the unit on the front panel....My panel is going to be mounted on the machine and dedicated for all of the control functions like power switches for the driver, spindle, vacuum, computer and spindle speed knob for the SPID. I was just going to use mach to set and display the speed of the router, but it would be nice to mount the LCD on the panel close to the speed knob if possible in case I want to use the manual adjustment outside of mach.

I don't intend to make this panel large enough to mount the whole SPID unit to the backside as well as all of the planned switches. It would also complicate the wiring and housing requirements unnecessarily. Might as well keep the line voltage all in one box and the fan requirements can be consolidated to that box. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks Al

that was what i was looking for... before i resorted to my makeshift solution...

guess it helps to know what you're looking for...

the other Al

Thanks Al

that was what i was looking for... before i resorted to my makeshift solution...

guess it helps to know what you're looking for...

the other Al
    Mouser has them cheaper....Search "Clincher".

I think you will find them .1" (2.5mm) spacing the same as the display.
    Al.

Albert E.

I also want to remote mount the LCD of my SPID and found a reference to a ribbon cable in the long SPID thread (post #999) by teccboxx. A preconfigured cable can be obtained from Samtec (part number IDMS-16-T-12.00-T). I ordered one of these and tried it out this evening, seems to work fine. Sorry about the crummy picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-12-06 17.44.30.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by vbgraves View Post
    I also want to remote mount the LCD of my SPID and found a reference to a ribbon cable in the long SPID thread (post #999) by teccboxx. A preconfigured cable can be obtained from Samtec (part number IDMS-16-T-12.00-T). I ordered one of these and tried it out this evening, seems to work fine. Sorry about the crummy picture.
    vbgraves,

Thank you!!!:rainfro:

Is your cable really loose? I got my cable from them a few days ago and tried it out tonight. The pins are too short and skinny to seat properly. They won't even stay in the female section that come with the cable. It is not that there is not enough friction, there is no friction at all. Like you turn it over and it just falls out. I measured it to the CAD drawings at the Samtec site because I thought they gave me the wrong end, but it specs out. I ordered the same part number you did. Just wondering how you are getting yours to work.

Devastator, yes, the pins on my cable were also loose, but not such that they fell off the sockets. My plan was to just use a piece of tape across the connectors to keep the cable in place.

Van

Devastator, yes, the pins on my cable were also loose, but not such that they fell off the sockets. My plan was to just use a piece of tape across the connectors to keep the cable in place.

Van
    I couldn't get a solid connection by pressing it in place, so I knew tape wasn't going to do the trick. I had to hold it just right for intermittent connection.

I've ordered a different cable with longer pins. I'll let everybody know if it works out better. If so, I'll post the part number here.

The correct cable!

After much research, trial and tribulation, I finally have the correct cable.

Here's the Samtech part number: HCMS-16-T-24.00-02

That's for the 24" cable. If you wanted a 12" cable, the part number would be: HCMS-16-T-12.00-02

The cable fits nice and snug. No tape, rubber bands, zip ties needed.

The recommendation to keep the cable short is a good one. The scroll text at start up is not as clean with the cable on, but all other function is perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails solslyva 001.jpg   solslyva 002.jpg  

thanks for the confirmation Devastator... how long does it take for them to ship this out?
    seems it took a while for them to give me a confirmation...

also, what's the difference between the HCMS and IDMS?

thanks in advance.

Al

thanks for the confirmation Devastator... how long does it take for them to ship this out?
    seems it took a while for them to give me a confirmation...

also, what's the difference between the HCMS and IDMS?

thanks in advance.

Al
    I ordered mine on 12/14, it shipped on 12/18, arrived on 12/19. Yeah, slow to get in the mail but the fastest shipping method, UPS overnight. Typical corporate mindset.

The HCMS gets you the longer pins, with the last two digits in the part number designating the length of the pins. I had to do a lot of catalog browsing to figure all of that out. But now we have it...yeah!

Don't forget to add the invoice to the three ring binder for your machine.......

Thanks Devastator for the info on the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
    The recommendation to keep the cable short is a good one. The scroll text at start up is not as clean with the cable on, but all other function is perfect.
    The clarity of the scrolled text depends largely on how fast the LCD material pixels can change state from on to off, and that depends mainly on the contrast dial setting.

Tweaking the contrast pot on the SuperPID can give you faster display pixel performance but may affect the clarity of the display (how nice the pixels look when not changing). Usually with LCDs there's a bit of a trade-off between the contrast setting that gives the fastest pixel response and the setting that looks best overall.

I doubt the pixel performance would be affected much by the cable length although the cable might have caused some voltage drops and hence need to re-adjust the contrast pot.

Generally if there is a problem from excess cable length it would be a corruption of data, which would mean the display might start to show some corrupt characters or stop working altogether. That would be temporary while the cable is present, the LCD is unlikely to be harmed by the cable length.

Page 1 of 3 123