587,531 active members*
3,549 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by kevincnc View Post
    Thanks, yeah "mounts", thats my welding table so I don't want to have anything in the way. I've been meaning to make a swing-down mount, maybe some day...
    Try use trailer hitch mounts for vises. Then you can move them when needed and use them in multi location on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
    Try use trailer hitch mounts for vises. Then you can move them when needed and use them in multi location on the table.
    Good idea, I'd need to make a variation that would keep it from wobbling around.

More pictures.. I'm pretty happy about the monitor mount with keyboakd tray that I scored almost free this week at an auction. It's perfect for my touchscreen and swings out of the way for storage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010201.jpg   P1010197.jpg   P1010199.jpg  

I got the rear belt guard welded up and almost have a Z-axis. More progress this weekend I hope..

The Z axis looks really tall in the picture but most cutting will be done low where it is more rigid. The extra tall part is for tool changes and clearance for parts up to 6".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010202.jpg   P1010208.jpg   P1010214.jpg  

@KevinCNC : What are those white fittings that you used on the monitor movement and support? They look strong but easily adapted ...
    Cheers!
    Paul Rowntree
    Vectric Gadgets, WarpDriver, StandingWave and Topo available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Kevin,

Nice build!

What are the dimensions of the heated side of your workshop?

Thanks,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRowntree View Post
    @KevinCNC : What are those white fittings that you used on the monitor movement and support? They look strong but easily adapted ...
    Cheers!
    Hoffman: Product Catalog : HMI - Human-Machine Interface : CONCEPT? HMI Overview

Hoffman makes them, but I think they're pretty expensive new. I lucked out on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX View Post
    Kevin,

Nice build!

What are the dimensions of the heated side of your workshop?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Thanks Paul. Overall 30 X 40 ft, and the heated side is 30 X 12. I hope to insulate & drywall the other side some day..

I'm going to make some direct mounts for the spindle and wait on the ATC until I get everything running.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z Sub-Assembly.jpg  

I finished the spindle mount plate last night. It and the tall one are both 5/8" thick tooling plate. I screwed up and counterbored the bearing block holes one size too big, but McMaster has washers that will fit in the c'bores so no big deal. The little bumpers are the lower stops.

OT: I love HSMXpress, it makes things so easy. The Adaptive Clearing (High Speed Machining) let me rough out the pockets at full depth in minutes. I left .010" for the finishing passes with regular pocketing, and this is probably the nicest, most accurate part I've ever made. When there are a lot of different hole sizes, I usually just spot drill and finish them on the drill press.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010225.jpg   P1010220.jpg   P1010226.jpg   P1010227.jpg  

P1010228.jpg  

I finished the spindle mount plate last night. It and the tall one are both 5/8" thick tooling plate. I screwed up and counterbored the bearing block holes one size too big, but McMaster has washers that will fit in the c'bores so no big deal. The little bumpers are the lower stops.

OT: I love HSMXpress, it makes things so easy. The Adaptive Clearing (High Speed Machining) let me rough out the pockets at full depth in minutes. I left .010" for the finishing passes with regular pocketing, and this is probably the nicest, most accurate part I've ever made. When there are a lot of different hole sizes, I usually just spot drill and finish them on the drill press.
    Very cool! I'm a big proponent of high speed toolpaths myself, and use the same technique as you for roughing and finishing... Sometimes however I'll leave the HS toolmarks on the pocket floor as they can look pretty cool...

Thanks Louie. I made the motor mounts, and pocketed out the bore with HSM at full .775" depth with a 1/2" EM, .050" load at 20 IPM. I had no idea a Bridgeport clone could do that, especially with a 2" flute length EM. I you look at the right side of the first picture you can see some chips flying- in real life it was a flurry of chips like I've never seen coming off of my mill

The other pictures show the spindle temporarily mounted for test-fitting, and the z-axis motor mount plate. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010236.jpg   P1010244.jpg   P1010247.jpg   P1010249.jpg  

I noticed the CAM tab in Solidworks. Is that HSMXpress running in Solidworks, or what CAM program is that?

He said it's HSMExpress in the post with the images you're asking about.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Yep, and Gerry your Dovetail thread inspired me to move the PC to allow for fixturing to do Dovetails, Mortise & Tennon, etc. :cheers:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00406.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Thanks, since it's free, I will definitely try it out :cheers:

That seems to be their strategy CNC Lurker. They're counting on you falling in love with the 2-1/2 D so you buy the full version.

Z-Axis parts are touched-up and going out for anodizing tomorrow . There's more progress that I'll post when they are back and permanently mounted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00409.jpg  

Thanks Louie. I made the motor mounts, and pocketed out the bore with HSM at full .775" depth with a 1/2" EM, .050" load at 20 IPM. I had no idea a Bridgeport clone could do that, especially with a 2" flute length EM. I you look at the right side of the first picture you can see some chips flying- in real life it was a flurry of chips like I've never seen coming off of my mill

The other pictures show the spindle temporarily mounted for test-fitting, and the z-axis motor mount plate. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel..
    Yep, it's ll about tool engagement! It is pretty amazing what can be done once the theory is understood.

Everything looks great! I am as anxious as you to see this thing going!

Thanks Louie, I'm getting close to the dreaded wiring..

I did find some nice high-flex VFD cable on ebay cheaper then any regular 14/4 shielded cable that could find. It's overkill and I had to leave out the compression bushing that came with the spindle connector. Luckily the extra-thick outer jacket went through the nut so a couple of o-rings worked to secure the cable.

The X and Z axes are done except for the X-motor mount, and Y-axis ballscrew mount plates are out for anodizing. Spindle coolant hoses will go through the cable track on the right side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00439.jpg   DSC00431.jpg   DSC00433.jpg   DSC00434.jpg  

DSC00435.jpg   DSC00436.jpg   DSC00415.jpg  

Oops

After installing my X-Axis bumpers I found that one side touched about 1/8" before the other. I knew I would have to clock the ballscrews relative to each other to fine tune the squareness but not by that much! My frame is very square so that wasn't the problem. Then I remembered that instead of ordering the precision cut ends on the gantry extrusion, I was going to clean them up on my mill just in case the precision cut wasn't good enough. Guess what I forgot to do..each end was at least .010 out of square.

So off came the gantry, and onto the mill for a cleanup cut on each end. I was wondering what I would use the giant cutter for when I got it..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00442.jpg   DSC00443.jpg  

Well it's back together with the Y-Axis ballscrew tied in, and the spindle cooling circuit is started. I need to drill & tap the visual flow meter (sorry, hard to see) to attach it, and mount the temperature display in a little box on the left side. I also re-mounted the Z cable tracks to allow for a larger bend radius, and added a shaft extension to Z-ballscrew for a brake. It barely stays up, so the brake may save a part from getting gouged if something faults during cutting. And yes that is a blizzard outside in Arizona.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00456.jpg   DSC00455.jpg   DSC00454.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 123