587,518 active members*
3,610 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    When you get the latest code, call Haas Oxnard. Calmly explain your situation about the machines being paid in full but that you are still only receiving temporary unlock codes. Ask them if the code most recently provided is a temporary or permanent unlock. If temporary, demand that they give you the permanent code.

If they refuse, ask them why and start raising all kinds of cain. Call your service manager, sales manager, HFO owner. Then call Haas Oxnard and speak to service manager there. Be the really squeaky wheel!

I ran into this (without the crash) on my last machine. The HFO blamed it on the Haas people. HFO said they had paid Haas for the machine, but Haas was behind in getting the records updated. This was months after my check to them had cleared.

Ellen at my local HFO was able to clear this up for me. I had codes by 1:35PM on Monday to permanently unlock the machine after gently insisting that this get resolved "TODAY". Squeaky wheel definitely gets the grease.

Thanks to all for your replies. Now I can get back to enjoying these sweet little machines.

Damn, happened to me today... 1993 VF-0, error code 140 or 144... says to call. So I called my HFO, at 1:30... they said they'd call back. At 4:30, I called them, and what frustration, but to hear,"Hass' website is down, and we can't get the code." Well, how about calling them directly, and calling me to say that I'm stuck with my thumb under my tail? They didn't. So, an afternoon and weekend lost on a machine that was made before prevalence of the internet, down because the internet is broken. At least. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!
    Yes, I paid CASH for my machine, and likely so did the previous owner(s). Marx's non-private capital dream come true. We don't own anything.

A 1993 machine still financed through cnc associates.. That is one long term financing program!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Parts View Post
    A 1993 machine still financed through cnc associates.. That is one long term financing program!
    Gary
    Maybe it was one of those $1.00 buy out leases and someone screwed up and just made the payment $1.00 per month!!!!! :banana:
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Maybe it was one of those $1.00 buy out leases and someone screwed up and just made the payment $1.00 per month!!!!! :banana:
    Now that would be nice!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by roofis27 View Post
    Damn, happened to me today... 1993 VF-0, error code 140 or 144... says to call. So I called my HFO, at 1:30... they said they'd call back. At 4:30, I called them, and what frustration, but to hear,"Hass' website is down, and we can't get the code." Well, how about calling them directly, and calling me to say that I'm stuck with my thumb under my tail? They didn't. So, an afternoon and weekend lost on a machine that was made before prevalence of the internet, down because the internet is broken. At least. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!
    Yes, I paid CASH for my machine, and likely so did the previous owner(s). Marx's non-private capital dream come true. We don't own anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kool Parts View Post
    Gary
    My bet would be that the software was recently updated and the tech failed to load the unlock code.

Whenever I installed a machine, I would hand write all of the option unlock codes inside the electrical cabinet on the door for future reference. I would do the same for the master unlock code also, if it was available.

@Haastec, that's a great idea.
    It's noon on Monday, HFO has still not called back.
    I've owned this machine since October '10 and have only once had a Haas tech out for repairs some time around February '11. It's a scary possibility that the EEPROM in the machine is beginning to fail. The HFO last Friday said this may be caused by a 'power surge', though that seems to be the non-engineering guess.

Quote Originally Posted by roofis27 View Post
    @Haastec, that's a great idea.
    It's noon on Monday, HFO has still not called back.
    I've owned this machine since October '10 and have only once had a Haas tech out for repairs some time around February '11. It's a scary possibility that the EEPROM in the machine is beginning to fail. The HFO last Friday said this may be caused by a 'power surge', though that seems to be the non-engineering guess.
    Well that blows my theory then!
    Not sure how a power surge would only affect your bill timer and nothing else though.

If you do not hear back from you HFO soon, I would hound them to no end and/or call Haas Oxnard service line and have them help you.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post
    First of all, IIRC it isn't exactly a GPS thing. It is activated if the machine is moved. But, yes...you have to prove it is in a friendly place to get the code to turn it back on. I agree it is a nuisance but Mazak is only doing this because of pending law. Others are also doing it and once the law is on the books they all may be doing it.
    We have some Toyoda machines on the floor that now come with the same Mazak type sensors, "transfer detectors" . We've had one unit fail and had to wait many days in another instance for the unlock codes after there was some vibrations near one machine. The codes can only come from Japan and there's apparently only one guy running a code generator in a little cubicle in Japan. With the time zones it's about 12 hours just to contact Japan. If he's not there when your device thinks the 20 ton machine moved you're SOL. After you receive a permanent unlock code only a Toyoda tech can input the code, they will not tell it to you over the phone. So there's at least another day wasted again.

They say these sensors are so imbedded into the controls, ladder and background wiring that it would be impossible to bypass them. They send out a random pulse to another device or so I am told.

Anyways, the question I've posed to the Tech's is "What happens if Toyoda goes out of business?" I then get the deer in headlights look and then I'm assured that they " will never go out of business".

And one day the satellites will get flakey and people will get lost getting home, as the street directory became redundant, as did their brain cells.

When you get the latest code, call Haas Oxnard.

Quote Originally Posted by rpm3000 View Post
    Anyways, the question I've posed to the Tech's is "What happens if Toyoda goes out of business?" I then get the deer in headlights look and then I'm assured that they " will never go out of business".
    We have 4 Fadals. If they had used unlock codes....I don't want to think about it.

I won't be in this situation again. I don't know how I'm going to solve it yet but I'm not going to be held hostage. Funny thing is that the people we are trying to keep these machines from are simply turning to Chinese machines instead. I've studied this issue a lot since this happened and what I'm seeing is scary. Hell the people we are trying to keep these machines from are turning to China instead. I can easily see China not only being the top producer of 5 axis machines soon (if they aren't already) but having the only expertise as well. I could invent the greatest encoders and accurate 5 axis machines known to man. Wouldn't matter. It would cost millions in political "grease" just to get permission to export them, licensing, and insurance. Or, I could move to China, build my machine and sell it anywhere in the world.

We won't need export controls soon enough. No one will want our antique technology.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    And one day the satellites will get flakey and people will get lost getting home, as the street directory became redundant, as did their brain cells.
    Got that right. I'm the only person I know that doesn't store numbers in my phone. I did that one time, had a crash and lost them all. If I can't remember their number, they can call me instead.

So what's the answer? Sell to Iran directly so they can make nukes with our own machines? At least our manufacturers would make a profit. Not trying to be funny. Would be very interested in a solution. Just haven't heard one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    So what's the answer? Sell to Iran directly so they can make nukes with our own machines? At least our manufacturers would make a profit. Not trying to be funny. Would be very interested in a solution. Just haven't heard one yet.
    Define "our own machines"... Haas is the only American owned machine tool builder discussed here and it isn't required that they have the "relocation device" on them. We are talking two different things here. One requires machines that have super high accuracy capabilities to have a device on them to keep them from falling into unfriendly hands and the other is something that shuts a machine down whether or not you pay for it in a few months so they have the option of turning it back on for you.

The first one is (perhaps lame and) controlled by the gumment the second one is just lame and controlled by bean counters.
    Tim

I understand whatyou're saying.Not sure where I stand on the activation code except to say that Haas needs to get better at releasing the machine when it's paid for. Concerning the "relocation device" I'm more in the better safe than sorry category. Regardless who controls it (you seem to have a bias?), what's the solution? If not the "gumment" then who? I seem to recall that back in the 70s or 80s (yes, I'm that old) some companies sold the Soviets milling machines that enabled them to make better screws (propellers on subs) that made them quieter and more of a threat to our guys. So clearly relying on the companies isn't the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post
    Define "our own machines"... Haas is the only American owned machine tool builder discussed here and it isn't required that they have the "relocation device" on them. We are talking two different things here. One requires machines that have super high accuracy capabilities to have a device on them to keep them from falling into unfriendly hands and the other is something that shuts a machine down whether or not you pay for it in a few months so they have the option of turning it back on for you.

The first one is (perhaps lame and) controlled by the gumment the second one is just lame and controlled by bean counters.
    My feeling is that the bean counters were looking for a way to insure payment when allowing people to buy their machines with little or no down and or less than optimum repayment possibilities. I do know that when I bought my first Haas in 1991, I really didn't think I would get approved and was quite surprised when the yes came! Their faith in me and the chance they gave me ended up with me being in this business for over 20 years now.

I am grateful to Haas for that and also very pleased that I have spent so little time and money on repairs. I believe after 20 years that is is under $2,000. So yes, I am a Haas fan, but I know their limitations and work accordingly and make money.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    I understand whatyou're saying.Not sure where I stand on the activation code except to say that Haas needs to get better at releasing the machine when it's paid for. Concerning the "relocation device" I'm more in the better safe than sorry category. Regardless who controls it (you seem to have a bias?), what's the solution? If not the "gumment" then who? I seem to recall that back in the 70s or 80s (yes, I'm that old) some companies sold the Soviets milling machines that enabled them to make better screws (propellers on subs) that made them quieter and more of a threat to our guys. So clearly relying on the companies isn't the answer.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't like stuff falling into the wrong hands. I just always question when the government is involved with limiting what we do while they seem to do whatever they feel.

I'm with you on relying on companies and questioning that also. But if it is a Korean or Japanese or other make of machine...how do you control that? UN? (and I really don't want this to become a "government bad" thread)

I guess my main issue was everyone bagging on Mazak when it is the government that is making (or soon to be making) them and all others that produce these higher end machines to have this device on them.

And yes...Haas needs to pull their head out when a customer pays cash for a machine. I (we) shouldn't be dead on a weekend because the machine tells us we may owe haas money when we paid for the machine in full 3 months ago.
    Tim

Page 2 of 3 123