588,044 active members*
3,513 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Remote handle plastic degrading

Remote handle plastic degrading

I posted a couple of weeks ago about how we found our remote jog handle on the floor broken. Well, we glued it back together and got it working. It appeared like the plastic was brittle and crumbly but we figured maybe it was just those stressed pieces that were impacted were like that. I've been handling it like its glass since we got it working.

Yesterday, while it was in my hands, the wedge that holds the handle to the machine crumbled and broke off.
    What's going on here? Can't compare it to our VF-2ss since it has the older metal remote jog that is still going strong.

Machine is out of warranty by a few months.

Plastic not compatible with our synthetic coolant (never immersed but coolant on my hands)? Castrol Synthilo 9954. Same coolant in our VF-2ss and Mazak lathe for over 4 years. No problems with them.

Has anybody else seen this?

Chris

My hands are normally (fairly) clean...but my '06 plastic RJH is fine. (I realize this doesn't help...just throwing it out there...)

Blaser coolant here btw
    Tim

Castrol Synthilo 9954
    I have had the same issue with this coolant (9954) on plastic sight glasses, doors and windows .

It pulls all the plastisizers out of the some plastics and causes them to become brittle..

It was especially hard on the old "bent" doors on the first generation Haas VF1 / VF2's.

Don't get me Wrong, I love this coolant. Good stuff..Long Life. Good wetting. Totally resists Tramp oils. Just one of it's down falls..

Even talked to Castrol about this at one time..they said the same thing..Just how it is..
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for your input guys. Just to make sure I'm posting a picture of our handle (I didn't know they had them in '07)
    The coolant is a strong suspect but the windows are OK and the older RJH is bullet proof.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RJH.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	181406

Maybe it's the coolant. The plastic RJH 09' on a SR100 (no coolant) has taken a few tumbles off the table a few times and still functional. The last tumble was particular nasty and I had to unplug the RJH to reset it. The long wire, though convenient, tends to trip me up.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe it's the coolant. The plastic RJH 09' on a SR100 (no coolant) has taken a few tumbles off the table a few times and still functional. The last tumble was particular nasty and I had to unplug the RJH to reset it. The long wire, though convenient, tends to trip me up.

Same handle as my '06...but mine is really light grey.
    Tim

I always used the ValCool series with my machines and never had a problem. WebMachinist.Net The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!
    www.WebMachinist.Net
    The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!