587,739 active members*
3,146 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

It has nothing to do with how China makes machines. Its more of what is acceptable to people .
    I have gotten complaints of 3/10th of a thou at 24 inch before and my machines are not much more than china machine.
    As i said before, there a lot more to why machine cost is higher than from looking at a picture from 20 feet away.
    If china machine works out for you ,that's great. I made a joke about using some short cuts as in the china machine designs, ended up getting 25 emails in 5 mins saying why you going to do that for. I had to repost i was only joking about it. For some reason people hold all other country's to a higher standard.
    XZero cnc

Quote Originally Posted by gio666 View Post
    It has nothing to do with how China makes machines. Its more of what is acceptable to people .
    I have gotten complaints of 3/10th of a thou at 24 inch before and my machines are not much more than china machine.
    As i said before, there a lot more to why machine cost is higher than from looking at a picture from 20 feet away.
    If china machine works out for you ,that's great. I made a joke about using some short cuts as in the china machine designs, ended up getting 25 emails in 5 mins saying why you going to do that for. I had to repost i was only joking about it. For some reason people hold all other country's to a higher standard.
    I think a lot of people's expectations can be obscenely high sometimes, well, actually a lot of times. In Australia we get ripped off extremely badly on prices from everywhere, so we tend to be a lot more pragmatic and appreciate the products from China.

Apart from the occasional person who has real issues with a faulty machine, or spindle, or whatever, which will statistically happen no matter which country is producing the product, in general we don't expect champagne quality on a beer budget. That's a simple fact of life.

I do though tend to take issue with the ignorant view that a lot of people routinely proclaim, "if it's from China it must be crap!". This is plain garbage, and the rant of the uninformed. One of the members on another forum has the following sig, "The reality is that without cheap imported machines, I would be spending my time doing something less creative and less enjoyable".

That pretty much sums up the pragmatic view we have in OZ. We're not paying for perfection, we're not paying for form, we're paying for function. Plain and simple. So personally when I hear the bleating of others saying how crap the 6040's, or the 6090's, or whatever are, I take it as nothing but sour grapes at missed opportunities from ignorant people.

Remember, from our perspective, the ONLY locally supplied and supported domestic machine, that I'm aware of anyway, is the imported Shark Pro Plus, a plastic machine with ACME threads!

Plastic!

Acme threads!

And it's over $6000!

Actually, $6595 to be exact! And that's without shipping! CNC Shark Pro Plus : CARBA-TEC

So when the Chinese come out with a much superior construction machine, that weighs three times what the Shark weighs, for well less than a third of the cost, with a powerful spindle, not a domestic wood router, yep, it'll be popular. And so far, despite all the people that whinge about them, no-one else is stepping up to the plate with a comparable machine.

Again, these are my personal views, and will differ greatly perhaps from those in the States, as our buying opportunities are vastly different. But the simple fact still is, despite all the bleating, is these machines in this class, probably represent the greatest value and ROI in the market.

That's not to say their the best or perfect for everyone, if Carbatec can sell Sharks for the ludicrous amount of $6595, obviously there's a market for every machine!.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!